3 replies to this topic

#1 Sam81

Sam81

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

I've decided to go gluten free as I feel Dr's have failed me. I am based in the UK and am also Vegetarian, it feels like a massive task as I've no idea where to start looking. Supermarkets have less than an isle of gluten free products and it seems to be all cakes, biscuits etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please??

Thank you...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

I've decided to go gluten free as I feel Dr's have failed me. I am based in the UK and am also Vegetarian, it feels like a massive task as I've no idea where to start looking. Supermarkets have less than an isle of gluten free products and it seems to be all cakes, biscuits etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please??

Thank you...

Hi Sam, I'm in the UK also & my husband and son have coeliac disease. (although not veggies)

It does feel like a massive task at first!!....but it really does get easier in time Posted Image

Concentrate less on the 'free from' aisle which is mainly alot of over processed sugars and carbs and think more of going back to basics. Natural foods, made from scratch.

Jacket potatoes, salads, stir fry veg & rice, soups are all good starters .

Alot of your time at first will be spent reading labels, but you get to know what's ok and what's not, cutting down on your shopping time.
You might want to consider joining Coeliac UK http://www.coeliac.org.uk/ who supply members with a handbook with lists of 'safe' food products ( invaluble at first! )

For specific UK brand questions this board is very helpful too http://members2.boar...com/glutenfree/

There's loads of information here & lots of veggies who I'm sure would be happy to help you with ideas and recipes.

Good luck!! Posted Image
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#3 Sam81

Sam81

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:45 AM

Hi Sam, I'm in the UK also & my husband and son have coeliac disease. (although not veggies)

It does feel like a massive task at first!!....but it really does get easier in time :)

Concentrate less on the 'free from' aisle which is mainly alot of over processed sugars and carbs and think more of going back to basics. Natural foods, made from scratch.

Jacket potatoes, salads, stir fry veg & rice, soups are all good starters .

Alot of your time at first will be spent reading labels, but you get to know what's ok and what's not, cutting down on your shopping time.
You might want to consider joining Coeliac UK http://www.coeliac.org.uk/ who supply members with a handbook with lists of 'safe' food products ( invaluble at first! )

For specific UK brand questions this board is very helpful too http://members2.boar...com/glutenfree/

There's loads of information here & lots of veggies who I'm sure would be happy to help you with ideas and recipes.

Good luck!! :)

Thank you, that's massively helpful... :)

#4 Sam81

Sam81

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:50 AM

Just looked art the coeliac site - annoying you can't get access to everything without a medical diagnosis - how unfair is that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: