17 replies to this topic

#1 UKGail

UKGail

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:23 AM

Many of us are using the board to for support in adjusting to a gluten free diet and for help in figuring out problems which seem to accompany the diagnosis. I thought perhaps it might cheer everyone up to take a moment to think about something, whether big or small, which helps make all the hard work worthwhile.

For me, and as I sit here typing at my keyboard, I keep marvelling about my nails (yes it is a personal vanity moment...) After 6 weeks gluten free I now have long nails which are strong and are not breaking, splitting or peeling. As someone who is used to curling up her hands to hide short, tatty nails, this is a complete novelty! I think I might even treat myself to a manicure to celebrate.

Has anyone else any happy moments they would like to share?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

As of today I am 8 weeks gluten free and am enjoying the fact that my abdominal pain issues (which were almost debilitating) are drastically improved, my energy levels are increasing and my brain fog is clearing. All this means I can function at an almost 'normal' level of activity...going to the grocery store or walking the dog no longer kills me for the rest of the day. IT IS AWESOME! :)

#3 Jnkmp8

Jnkmp8

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

Hi
What a fab idea--- after months of DH& gastro problems, by body is pretty much in recovery on a superficial level... I have long strong nails for the first time too!!! Woohoo-- just becareful of manicure products!!! Jessica are apparently gluten-free-- enjoy! Xx

#4 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

I am quite happy that the noxious gas problems are all gone :D

#5 Jnkmp8

Jnkmp8

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

Lol I bet everyone else is too--- if it's anything like mine was!!! 

#6 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

At 5 yrs? gluten-free, I am greatful that my kiddo(13) finally gets to have a mom(after 10 yrs of being sick) with more energy to keep up with him and ability to be more fully present.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#7 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

At just over 1 year gluten-free, I am thankful that:

I can eat dairy with no problem.
I almost never have cold sores any more.
The rashes on my arms and hands are almost completely gone, especially during the summer sun exposure time... (not DH, I believe, but most defniately gluten related!).
I almost never have bladder pain any more.
I don't walk into walls--- unless I'm REALLY tired (ataxia)
I get to eat all the gluten-free goodies i want, especailly KinniToos! :)
Chronic constipation is getting better :)

still waiting for the lines in my nails and my fructose issues to go away, but I'm so glad to be so much better that I was a year ago!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#8 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

At 5 yrs? gluten-free, I am greatful that my kiddo(13) finally gets to have a mom(after 10 yrs of being sick) with more energy to keep up with him and ability to be more fully present.

I think this is great and I understand exactly what you are saying.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#9 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

At 5 months gluten-free I have noticed my skin tone has improved! I have more energy and ambition! I have been back to exercising now for a week.....walking, lifting weights and short jogs.....feels awesome to be able to do once again. I am actually hearing myself laugh again which is wonderful! It almost feels like I am just beginning to enjoy life, a new life!!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#10 Cinderella64

Cinderella64

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

At just over 1 year gluten-free, I am thankful that:

I can eat dairy with no problem.
I almost never have cold sores any more.
The rashes on my arms and hands are almost completely gone, especially during the summer sun exposure time... (not DH, I believe, but most defniately gluten related!).
I almost never have bladder pain any more.
I don't walk into walls--- unless I'm REALLY tired (ataxia)
I get to eat all the gluten-free goodies i want, especailly KinniToos! :)
Chronic constipation is getting better :)

still waiting for the lines in my nails and my fructose issues to go away, but I'm so glad to be so much better that I was a year ago!

Hi,

I have bladder pains too, since few weeks, but no inflammation and I have lines in my thumb nails since myna years- are this also the symptoms of GI?

I'm happy that my stomach problems are gone only after 10 days on a diet! No gases anymore, no bloated belly, no pains after every meal, almost no heart burn anymore and I feel slightly stronger, having more energy. I started again with yoga and with walking, which is so good!
I wish that my mental problems will get better too and that my libido returns...

#11 KiwiBrit

KiwiBrit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:20 AM

Im almost 6 weeks gluten-free. I can finally DRIVE!!! The dizzyness is gone.
:)

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

I have a brain. I have stamina.

I DON'T HAVE A RASH!!!!!!

My hair stopped falling out.

I don't have headaches, migraines.

I don't feel like I'm stroking the furry wall anymore!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#13 kendon0015

kendon0015

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

My nails are not peeling anymore....after 6 months gluten free.

#14 Sarah P

Sarah P

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

I am only a week totally gluten free. I still have pain, but my acne is cleared up! I have had the worst skin my whole life. At 30 I really thought I shouldn't have it anymore, and guess what I don't. Wooohooo!
Sarah Pogozelski~ Independent Consultant~ Arbonne International
1 doctor says Celiac, 1 says No Celiac but recommended a Gluten Free Diet. New doctor is going to try to figure it out for me. This is a strange life but the food is getting better!

#15 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

First and foremost, I have my BRAIN back. I feel like sleeping beauty woke up... Like the last several years were a blur. I am a scientist again!

And vainly: I have great hair and nails and skin! A lifetime of really bad skin, hair like straw that won't grow, and nails that won't grow-- and now they all feel foreign. It's nice and they're all lovely, but I feel like sleeping beauty who woke up in a new body!

But I can't talk about my brain enough. It's so nice to think straight again and have a little better grasp on the world around me. I love thinking! Lol

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: