Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free In Chile/ Sin Gluten En Chile?

3 posts in this topic

Hey, I am planning on moving to Chile next year, but I need to be gluten and dairy free. Is this going to be possible? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hola, me voy a trasladar a Chile el proximo ano, pero no puedo comer gluten ni lacteos. Va a ser dificil hacer esto? Alguien tiene consejos?

Ads by Google:

Hola! Que bueno! Chile is amazing!

I travelled there last year and stayed 100% gluten free. Where are you moving to? Awareness of celiac disease isn't too great but there are tonnes of naturally gluten-free things to be found there. If your Spanish is good then it will be much easier.

Grocery stores in larger cities like Santiago have gluten-free products but in smaller places like Valparaiso (which was my favourite place there) your best bet is shopping for naturally gluten-free things. Many of the products you do find labelled as gluten-free in Chile come from Argentina as gluten-free awareness/labelling is much better there.

Buen Viajo!

Reviving this older post...has anyone been to Chile recently? Looks like we are moving to Santiago in July.

I've found the website for Convivir which has a ton of information on it (including a list of gluten-free products and medicines!?!?!), and I'm resurrecting my español which I haven't spoken regularly in 10 years...learning all sorts of new vocab since I really didn't need to worry about the translation for flax seed when we were last in S. America! From what I know a lot of the food is naturally gluten-free and as a whole they aren't as wheat based as N. America. Fingers crossed this is really the case.