66 replies to this topic

#1 Kate79

Kate79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:00 AM

I happened to catch the first couple of minutes of the new sitcom '2 Broke Girls' on CBS the other night. The show does not seem to be very good to begin with, but I was particularly irritated by the following exchange:

Waitress 1 approaches Waitress 2 and says that one of their customers has asked if they have anything gluten-free. Waitress 2's reply is, “Tell her she’s not allergic to gluten. She’s just masking an eating disorder.”

Now, I know this is a sitcom, but I don't appreciate either celiac disease & gluten intolerance OR eating disorders being treated as some kind of a joke. It's already hard enough for us to eat at restaurants, and this certainly doesn't help the problem. The clip's available on YouTube if anyone wants to see it...

Maybe I just need to lighten up?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

I saw that and didn't appretiate it either. A better response from the snippy one might have been something like 'She wants to eat gluten free here! What does she want... to die?'
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

I saw that too. I actually was enjoying the show. I watched the first 2 episodes and then this was the third. They have lost me as a viewer. I wont watch again.

#4 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

I happened to catch the first couple of minutes of the new sitcom '2 Broke Girls' on CBS the other night. The show does not seem to be very good to begin with, but I was particularly irritated by the following exchange:

Waitress 1 approaches Waitress 2 and says that one of their customers has asked if they have anything gluten-free. Waitress 2's reply is, “Tell her she’s not allergic to gluten. She’s just masking an eating disorder.”

Now, I know this is a sitcom, but I don't appreciate either celiac disease & gluten intolerance OR eating disorders being treated as some kind of a joke. It's already hard enough for us to eat at restaurants, and this certainly doesn't help the problem. The clip's available on YouTube if anyone wants to see it...

Maybe I just need to lighten up?

That pisses me off, first because it's insensitive to people with celiac or gluten intolerance. You wouldn't make fun of a diabetic for asking for something that's sugar free, so why would you make fun of a celiac for asking for something that's wheat free?

Second, there have been points in my life where I HAVE had disordered eating, but it was BECAUSE LITERALLY EVERYTHING I ATE MADE ME SICK! So I basically stopped eating and drank nutritional supplements instead. So...I'm a little sensitive on the topic of eating disorders and celiac, but not without good reason. Very poor taste, IMHO.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Also......since when is making fun of people funny? I watched a few other of the new sitcoms. I heard penis and vagina and fat jokes. Not funny to me. TV is literally crap anymore.

#6 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

I will admit, I wondered if I made a mistake 14 years ago when I looked in the review mirror at the charity where I gave away my only TV as I was driving away.

14 years later and sitcom comments like this, make me feel good about that decision.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#7 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

I was watching that too, and shut the t.v. off right after that joke. Not watching that show. I don't mind being the butt of a joke, but my biggest fear is eating out and having the server not take me seriously. Or my 8 year old. It really just makes it so dangerous for all of us to have that opinion passed off as humor.

I've been on vacation and out at a restaurant and gotten the feeling the waiter wasn't really taking me seriously. I told him if I got gluten I would be in bed for days and my only girls' weekend in 2 years would be completely ruined. A light went on in his eyes and he had the chef come talk to me. I really just don't think people who serve our food care and, well...like I said it is terrifying

#8 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

I started to post about this yesterday but didn't have time! It made me mad too! I was liking the show and I understand the character is supposed to be abrasive and offensive but it's not cool to make fun of a medical condition! Two medical conditions in this case! As if we don't have enough trouble being taken seriously while dining out!

#9 Jnkmp8

Jnkmp8

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

To be honest maybe we do need to lighten up---but--- it really pissed me off too.
Food & eating out is my thing & for the last few months I've not been able to as my allergy has become so sensitive it's a liability... In fact a restaurant was so kind to me today in London that I stood there sobbing afterwards--- so sad!!
It's hard enough for gluten-free to be recognized & taken seriously without crap like this hitting our screens---- I'm MAD!!!!
I agree guys!
Xx

#10 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Here ya go: http://www.cbs.com/i...global_form.php

Make your opinion heard.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Looking at that diner, it is kinda funny if someone really thought they could get gluten free food. I don't think it would be safe to get a glass of water or a Coke there! :D

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 bonnie blue

bonnie blue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Oh hell ya I saw that, and had a complete freak out, and turned the channel, and I will never watch the show again. You know it is hard enough to get some people to believe in our gluten free lifestyle and this is our only way to stay healthy. Wow still cant believe they likened us to an eating disorder, these are clueless insensitive people. Ok rant is over B)
Just takin it one day at a time :)

#13 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

I sent in a complaint as well. Probably won't do much good but it's the only thing we can do.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#14 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

I put in my 2 cents on their form.

Funny, my eating before going gluten-free was disordered. I binged a lot. I ate and ate and ate. I was very sick for all of the multiple servings per sitting of whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, and whole grain cereals that I ate. Now food and I have a solid relationship, and it nourishes me and makes me strong. :) Eating gluten-free is anything but an eating disorder.
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#15 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

Looks like CBS has forums by show episode. Someone should start a post.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: