66 replies to this topic

#16 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

I didn't see this episode but I saw the first 5 minutes of the very first episode of this show and changed the channel after a similar bad joke that wasn't even funny (can't remmember what it was now but I was disgusted and changed the channel). Hopefully if they get enough complaints the show won't be on much longer. I can't but wonder how many people had never even heard of gluten and now they think it has something to do with an eating disorder?!??!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 babinsky

babinsky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

First time I have ever felt it necessary to leave a comment for a show...they have lost me. I suggested next time they need a laugh they should "show a Celicac patient who has been fed any type of gluten writhing in pain, vomiting all over, has diarrhea so severely they cannot leave a bathroom, or one who's joints and muscles are so sore and inflamed the only option to get to the bathroom is to crawl, to say nothing of the headache that causes you to cry just by opening your eyes...there are many more hysterical symptoms if only your inept writers care to research first....pretty funny stuff...huh?" I do not know how much good it will do but hope if enough of us comment it will at least get their attention. :angry:
Confirmed by endoscopy and blood tests October 2007

Donna

#18 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

I don't offend easily at all and I wasn't particularly upset about this. Considering the crap that Hollywood chews out these days, you are surprised by this? I don't watch new TV shows at all because they are garbage. My taste runs to TV Land where I see re-runs of I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke show and all the other stuff that was actual entertainment and non-offensive. Most of these new shows fail anyway so it won't be long before this is gone too.

#19 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Here we go

CBS Forums
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#20 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

I threw my TV away back in the early 80's because of how insulting it was to my intelligence and my moral values.

But I just chimed in to CBS, and I attatched a link to this post so they will know how we ALL feel!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#21 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

I actually have heard of this. Anorexics will fake having celiac disease. Saying they are gluten-free knocks a bunch of food off the list for them (as we all know) and makes it easier to disguise their disorder. I have heard this on more than one anorexia board. I'm guessing that is where the "joke" comes from.

#22 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

I won't watch sitcoms anymore. The only shows I like to watch are those crime shows or British sitcoms but I rarely watch any of them. Those current affair type show p*ss me off too because I'm a sole parent in a low income part of town which means I basically live off society (I work full time but none of that seems to matter to these people - apparently I'm given 900/fn free money from the government and of course must take in 1000/month in child support from her "poor" father) and don't care for my child and of course we must live in filth. None of that is true but it's surprising how many people take it as gospel. I hate the media when it's turned against people. When a minority becomes picked on even though they are already at a disadvantage.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#23 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

eating gluten-free in a diner???? sounds like a fantasy show :blink:

people are idiots....

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 niki_moen22

niki_moen22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'm glad to have found this post on here, because I was absolutely disgusted about the "joke" as well. I posted on facebook about it & was told (more than once) that I was overreacting. Of course, by people who don't have celiac disease, so I guess I should consider the source. I sent a sharply worded email to CBS letting them know that the joke was in poor taste. Ignorant attitudes like this are the reason we aren't taken seriously. I've been accused of having an eating disorder bc of my weight & not only is it untrue but also extremely hurtful. CBS just lost me as a viewer completely.

#25 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

I actually have heard of this. Anorexics will fake having celiac disease. Saying they are gluten-free knocks a bunch of food off the list for them (as we all know) and makes it easier to disguise their disorder. I have heard this on more than one anorexia board. I'm guessing that is where the "joke" comes from.

I heard that too. I have also heard of anorexics using vegetarianism as a way to cover for their anorexia too. But, the joke wasn't very funny.

#26 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

I'm glad to have found this post on here, because I was absolutely disgusted about the "joke" as well. I posted on facebook about it & was told (more than once) that I was overreacting. Of course, by people who don't have celiac disease, so I guess I should consider the source. I sent a sharply worded email to CBS letting them know that the joke was in poor taste. Ignorant attitudes like this are the reason we aren't taken seriously. I've been accused of having an eating disorder bc of my weight & not only is it untrue but also extremely hurtful. CBS just lost me as a viewer completely.

I don't know your age but maybe at some point you will learn to let this stuff role right off you. No one is ever going to understand Celiac because people are food obsessed these days and will not listen to anyone if it means a dietary change.
I hear people complaining ALL THE TIME about symptoms that are text book Celiac yet try and tell them about it or suggest a dietary trial. They practically have a stroke on the spot and then absolutely refuse to see the problem if it means no bread as they know it.

I, too, have been accused of having an eating disorder because I was down to 97 pounds at diagnosis. However, I am older (52) and I have learned that what other people think doesn't matter at all. I have also learned that as you get older, something amazing happens and you just don't care, for the most part, whether people get it or not. It might be more self confidence, I don't know, but one of the biggest reasons this disease gets bad press is because people are threatened by those who learn the truth...you are what you eat and food can kill you. No one is going to take us seriously until there is a pill for it anyone can take so they can eat whatever they want. Just do what you do to stay healthy and if someone makes stupid remarks, ignore them totally. They are not worth my energy to respond to. Honestly...you are dealing with people today who eat to medicate themselves and who don't understand why we choose not to do that.

#27 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I have also learned that as you get older, something amazing happens and you just don't care, for the most part, whether people get it or not. It might be more self confidence,

Not sure about the self-confidence - I think I'm just too busy feeling better to care! :D

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 aeraen

aeraen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

Gemini, I don't think the issue is worrying about what what "other people" think. However, I AM concerned that anyone serving, cooking or handling my food takes this disease seriously.

I have a hard enough time trusting restaurants the way it is now. Characterizing Celiac disease as a self-proclaimed eating disorder may lead a server to be less careful with my order in the future.

#29 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Gemini, I don't think the issue is worrying about what what "other people" think. However, I AM concerned that anyone serving, cooking or handling my food takes this disease seriously.

I have a hard enough time trusting restaurants the way it is now. Characterizing Celiac disease as a self-proclaimed eating disorder may lead a server to be less careful with my order in the future.

I agree with both you and Gemini. I have also sat and listened to people complain about a host of symptoms and realized they don't want to hear that it might be worth a try to go gluten free for a couple of weeks. They think I'm crazy even though I suffered from the exact same symptoms for years. I cannot understand why people won't even attempt to feel better by just giving something a try (free and legal)...but I too have learned to just keep my mouth shut. I am very quiet about my diet.

HOWEVER...last night we got take out from my "safe" Indian restaurant and I am really suffering today. I don't know if it was gluten or dairy...but I feel like I have the flu. I hate not being able to trust eating out. It has turned into too big of a risk. At this point I've cleared my schedule tomorrow so I can lie on the couch and recover. Just having a better educated public would help imo

#30 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

I think the real reason to be upset with CBS's portayal here is that it reinforces the stereotype that people just choose to pick up the gluten-free diet for whatever reason, be it as a fad or a coverup for an eating disorder. It's these kinds of things that reinforce in the public's minds that gluten-free doesn't have to be taken seriously. If the joke had been something more in the context of expecting gluten-free in a greasy-spoon diner is impossible, then it would be acceptable.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: