#31 AzizaRivers

AzizaRivers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

I filed a complaint on CBS's website. You all should too. Here's what I said:

"I have a medical condition called Celiac Disease that causes my immune system to attack my small intestine if it detects even trace amounts of gluten in something I eat. I was repulsed when I heard the gluten joke in 2 Broke Girls. I have been made seriously ill at restaurants when I was not taken seriously by the server, and I rarely eat out because gluten intolerance is not taken as seriously, as common as it is becoming. I do not appreciate TV shows perpetuating the widespread discrimination against people with medical diets or food allergies. Would a joke about sugar-free foods for a diabetic have been funny? Not to mentioned the fact that the joke also was discriminatory against people with eating disorders, which may have been worse because media is often a major factor in eating disorders.

You have lost me as a viewer, and I suspect you have also lost the 40 some thousand who suffer from Celiac disease or other forms of gluten intolerance. I doubt the 8 million sufferers (mostly young girls) of eating disorders in the US found that joke very funny, either."
Celiac diagnosed October-November 2010 (blood test negative, biopsy inconclusive after gluten-free for 6 weeks, miraculous diet results).

October 2010: Gluten free.
November 2010: No HFCS or artificial sweeteners.
March 2011: Gradually fading out soy.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Finally@45

Finally@45

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

That's too bad, I'm finding it awkward to tell people about gluten-free eating because I can tell some people think it's weird or that a little cake really won't hurt me.

Shows like this make it even harder to discuss.
Celiac symptoms since childhood, with no diagnoses til age 45
Celiac diagnoses & went gluten free summer 2011
Severely fructose intolerant, primarily from corn, w/IBS June 2012

Celebrating each day of feeling GOOD.

#33 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

Wow that's very stupid joke :( Really no need for something like that .

I think celiac disease is treated as a joke , with all the celebs and athletes going " 50 % gluten free " . Makes it worse . Hopefully know more pathetic jokes will be made about gluten free . I find a lot of tv programs joke about gluten or give the idea to the public it's not serious .

If only we could pass on celiac disease to the people who make fun it would be great :P
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#34 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

Also......since when is making fun of people funny? I watched a few other of the new sitcoms. I heard penis and vagina and fat jokes. Not funny to me. TV is literally crap anymore.

A lot of people seem to think making fun of people is funny. I can remember seeing Don Rickles on the Tonight show and he almost had me in tears. I was a kid back then. Not funny to me at all.

#35 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:39 AM

eh - I think you guys might be overreacting a bit.

#36 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:07 AM

This is upsetting :(

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#37 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

I get that it's a comedy, but I still find it offensive. I submitted a complaint as well.

#38 rainer83

rainer83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

I saw this too! Usually I'm very chill, and I can take jokes. I really don't take much seriously at all, but this actually made me pretty damn angry. It's just ignorance. I don't think you need to lighten up, cause neither do I, and this was just a cheap shot at something clearly the writers of this show don't understand in the least.
Diagnosed by a Naturopath by an elimination diet, gluten free 2 years, finally able to live again after years of suffering.

#39 espresso261

espresso261

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'm not really too bothered by this. Unfortunately, I think there are people who do believe that misconception. I'd rather spend my time writing letters to food manufacturers or restaraunts to create awareness and more gluten free options, then write letters to cbs to complain about a show that probably won't last another season anyway. Its amazing what we are capable of if we just channel our energy in a positive direction.

#40 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Please send your opinion to CBS if you think this is wrong. It takes two minutes with the online form.

http://www.cbs.com/i...global_form.php (thanks to jetsgar)

I believe a complaint will make a difference. I formerly worked in corporate America, and companies take complaints (unwarranted or not, and this one is warranted) very seriously. It should be the same for a mainstream network.

And, yes, it's offensive. Celiac/gluten intolerance is a serious medical condition, and the script makes it sound frivolous.

#41 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

Will you guys relax? Seriously who cares - it's a TV show. It's not like someone close to you insulted you.

Stephen Fry's thoughts on being offended - http://i.imgur.com/EX5v4.jpg

#42 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Will you guys relax? Seriously who cares - it's a TV show. It's not like someone close to you insulted you.

It's exactly this attitude that bothers me. It's okay to be rude as long as you don't know someone? This is why gluten-free is considered a fad diet, not a medical diet. It's also why celiac disease continues to be underdiagnosed to the tune of 95%.

#43 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

Well I'm personally offended not only for the people that have celiac/gluten intolerance but also for the people with eating disorders such as anerexia and bulimia. I wasn't going to write and complain, but your insistence that this is no big deal just caused me to write a complaint to CBS. Thanks for the motivation! :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#44 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

Without someone taking offense, racial slurs and hurtful names for those with mental and physical challenges would still be considered appropriate. And where does the misinformation stop?
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#45 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

The point is not so much that the joke was offensive, the point is that the joke makes people watching the show, some of who work in restaurants and prepare food think that this isn't a real medical issue. I don't care if a particular show offends me but if I go out to eat and someone disregards my gluten free order because they think I'm just being picky well that is a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: