7 replies to this topic

#1 mama411

mama411

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

I have ulcerative colitis and am also gluten intolerant. In my experiments with gluten free products I have discovered that I am apparently sensitive to tapioca (it aggravates my UC symptoms).

I love to cook and bake so I am disappointed that I will be unable to use the gluten-free baking mixes that are readily available on the market. They make life so simple!

Do you have a gluten-free/tapioca free baking mix recipe that you could share that is pretty all-purpose and doesn't change texture/taste too much and that is also simple to make? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

I haven't tried tapioca flour yet, but have it in my cupboard. Last weekend something smacked me, it was either dairy or chickpea flour. Just in case you don't already know, Elana Amsterdam has a nice cookbook that is pretty simple, but uses almond flour exclusively. The upside is that you don't gave to add xanthum or guar gum, and that almond flour is pretty healthy. The recipes are pretty simple, with short ingredient lists.

The downside is that you have to purchase the flour online, keep it in the freezer, and bring it to room temperature before proceeding with most recipes.

I've found I can't tolerate quinoa. It's funny how the different "safe" grains affect us differently.

I get the almond flour at nutsonline.com. You can see some of her recipes and blog at glutenfreegoddess.com. I hope that helps.

I've seen recipes that use oat flour vs. tapioca, but I've had issues with gluten-free oats, and haven't pursued tried any of those. Good luck to you!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 mama411

mama411

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

I haven't tried tapioca flour yet, but have it in my cupboard. Last weekend something smacked me, it was either dairy or chickpea flour. Just in case you don't already know, Elana Amsterdam has a nice cookbook that is pretty simple, but uses almond flour exclusively. The upside is that you don't gave to add xanthum or guar gum, and that almond flour is pretty healthy. The recipes are pretty simple, with short ingredient lists.

The downside is that you have to purchase the flour online, keep it in the freezer, and bring it to room temperature before proceeding with most recipes.

I've found I can't tolerate quinoa. It's funny how the different "safe" grains affect us differently.

I get the almond flour at nutsonline.com. You can see some of her recipes and blog at glutenfreegoddess.com. I hope that helps.

I've seen recipes that use oat flour vs. tapioca, but I've had issues with gluten-free oats, and haven't pursued tried any of those. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the website recommendation. I will check it out. I haven't had any issues with gluten free oats so that might be a good place to start. I use those (ground in the food processor) in my meatloaf and meatballs already.

#4 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

I think she means My linkwww.elanaspantry.com

i really love Elana's recipes - they are some of the tastiest and healthiest gluten-free recipes out there. They are also the easiest!

#5 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

I have ulcerative colitis and am also gluten intolerant. In my experiments with gluten free products I have discovered that I am apparently sensitive to tapioca (it aggravates my UC symptoms).

I love to cook and bake so I am disappointed that I will be unable to use the gluten-free baking mixes that are readily available on the market. They make life so simple!

Do you have a gluten-free/tapioca free baking mix recipe that you could share that is pretty all-purpose and doesn't change texture/taste too much and that is also simple to make? Thanks!

You could do what I do for my corn allergic son. Follow any one of the recipes for a flour blend but use only the starches that you can have. We sub tapioca for corn but you could so the opposite and use corn or potato for tapioca so that you are using a combo of corn and potato for your starches.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I think she means My linkwww.elanaspantry.com

i really love Elana's recipes - they are some of the tastiest and healthiest gluten-free recipes out there. They are also the easiest!

Oops, I did post the wrong website for Elana Amsterdam. Thanks for providing the correct post. :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

I would also suggest subbing for another starch. I've subbed arrowroot pretty successfully... on the down side it is much more expensive.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#8 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Try:
3 cups brown rice flour
3 cups cornstarch
2 cups sorghum flour
1 cup corn flour

Add 1/2 ts xanthan gum per cup flour blend for general baking ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: