20 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

Trying to figure out what zapped me. Anyone had any issues with the gluten free rice krispies?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

I think I did the first time I tried them :( I have another box though and I'm trying to work up the courage to test again to make sure it wasn't something else. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else reports having issues with them.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 tazdog

tazdog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

I have tried them twice with no effects at this time..

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

I am happy to report that I have no reaction whatsoever :)

... and I am VERY sensitive to gluten and react rather quickly with several nasty reactions. <_<

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

Thanks....I guess its the Lactaid milk........again...Gosh, dairy is so much harder to give up than gluten for me! I got bloating, gas and a headache...I thought Lactaid was suppose to help so I guess it really is casein. BUMMER! AGH.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks....I guess its the Lactaid milk........again...Gosh, dairy is so much harder to give up than gluten for me! I got bloating, gas and a headache...I thought Lactaid was suppose to help so I guess it really is casein. BUMMER! AGH.

I agree with you...I miss dairy more than I miss gluten. :(
I use So Delicious Coconut Milk---very tasty!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

I agree with you...I miss dairy more than I miss gluten. :(
I use So Delicious Coconut Milk---very tasty!! :)

I'm with you! My 3 year old son is gluten free, limited dairy and I find the dairy so much harder to work around!

#8 celiash

celiash

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble but Rice Crispies have Malt in them and in Canada they have Barley and Malt so they are not considered Gluten Free, although it is probably a very small amount of it; it is still considered to contain gluten.....BUT they now make gluten free rice crispies information on that is on the thread below :)

http://www.celiac.co...-rice-krispies/

#9 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but Rice Crispies have Malt in them and in Canada they have Barley and Malt so they are not considered Gluten Free, although it is probably a very small amount of it; it is still considered to contain gluten.....BUT they now make gluten free rice crispies information on that is on the thread below :)

http://www.celiac.co...-rice-krispies/

Gluten Free Rice Krispies are now available in the US. There are no plans by Kelloggs, at this point, to bring the product to the Canadian market.

#10 Brooklyncowgirl

Brooklyncowgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:19 AM

Gluten Free Rice Krispies are now available in the US. There are no plans by Kelloggs, at this point, to bring the product to the Canadian market.

I've tried them. My problem is that they just don't taste very good--not like real Rice Krispies. I think that perhaps it's because they use brown rice instead of white rice. Somehow everyone who manufactures gluten free products (with the exception of God bless 'em General Mills with their Chex line) seems to think that we're all health food nuts who want bland tasting "natural" cerials that taste worse than the stuff I feed my horse. I had high hopes for these but unfortunately Kellogs has not come through.

#11 Oliveheadred

Oliveheadred

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

I've tried them. My problem is that they just don't taste very good--not like real Rice Krispies. I think that perhaps it's because they use brown rice instead of white rice. Somehow everyone who manufactures gluten free products (with the exception of God bless 'em General Mills with their Chex line) seems to think that we're all health food nuts who want bland tasting "natural" cerials that taste worse than the stuff I feed my horse. I had high hopes for these but unfortunately Kellogs has not come through.

I have tried the gluten free Rice Krispies...I had MAJOR issues after eating .  I'm wondering about cross-contamination with barley/malt, as I am more sensitive to barley than to wheat.......

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

i just looked this up (plain rice krispies - kelloggs website) because they are now running a commercial ad that says the only thing rice krispies contains is rice.  i thought it used to contain barley malt.  the ingredients on the website currently lists 'malt flavor' - - - - ?  WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? 

lolz - they use 'carmine' to color red cherries in canned fruit cocktail - i looked it up because i wanted to be sure it was ok.  and, YAY!  carmine is gluten free!  it is also made of CRUSHED UP BUG BODIES.....  so, it's safe to eat but now i don't want to....  ;)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I second this.  If I wanted them made of brown rice, I'd have gotten the nasty Erewhon ones.  They don't taste like the originals, they don't crunch like the originals.  You can use them for rice krispie treats, but they're not much good in a bowl with milk.  Yuk.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#14 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

i just looked this up (plain rice krispies - kelloggs website) because they are now running a commercial ad that says the only thing rice krispies contains is rice.  i thought it used to contain barley malt.  the ingredients on the website currently lists 'malt flavor' - - - - ?  WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? 

lolz - they use 'carmine' to color red cherries in canned fruit cocktail - i looked it up because i wanted to be sure it was ok.  and, YAY!  carmine is gluten free!  it is also made of CRUSHED UP BUG BODIES.....  so, it's safe to eat but now i don't want to....  ;)

yep, we found out that Yoplait yogurt has the crushed bugs ewwwww

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have tried the gluten free Rice Krispies...I had MAJOR issues after eating .  I'm wondering about cross-contamination with barley/malt, as I am more sensitive to barley than to wheat.......

The G F Rice Krispies are  NOT CROSS CONTAMINATED.

I eat them sometimes and I would feel it, believe me. 

THEIR WEBSITE: "We produce it in a separate facility and test each batch to make sure that it’s gluten-free".

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: