8 replies to this topic

#1 punkin513

punkin513

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

I can't figure out of Taco Bell chicken is gluten free or not. I eat it a few times and today is the first time I've felt sick after eating it. I've written down the ingredents of the chicken that I will add below someone please tell me is this gluten free or not. Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Chicken Breast Meat with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning [Maltodextrin(Corn, Potato, Tapioca), Spices, Salt, Garlic Powder, Yeast Extract, Carrageenan, Paprika, Onion Powder, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Citric Acid, Tapioca Dextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Inactivated Yeast, Chicken Powder, Grill Flavor (from Sunflower Oil), Dehydrated Chicken Broth, Chicken Fat, Trehalose, Smoke Flavor, and less than 2% Silicon Dioxide and Soybean Oil added as Processing Aids], Modified Food Starch, Sodium Phosphates.

*NOTE* To cook this chicken it stays in the bag it comes in and it is put in very hot water for 30 mins then cut out of the bag and put in a pan it never touches the oil from the fryer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 emtk8

emtk8

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

Modified food starch is the culprit I see. You can't be such which starch it can from and/or they could have changed brands of m.f.s. so this time you got glutened as opposed to another time. I don't eat anything with m.f.s. Other though is cross contaminants this visit.

Be well, Kate

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

Modified food starch is the culprit I see.

I respectfully disagree. MFS is usually corn or tapioca.

If those ingredients are on the package that the chicken arrives at the restaurant in, then they are subject to FALCPA and wheat, if present, must be explicitly declared.

For what it is worth, in my eleven gluten-free years I have never seen a verified case of MFS being wheat.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

On the ingredients list they are putting "contains wheat" if there is wheat, so there is not gluten in the chicken. I'd guess either you got CC'd or just plain food poisoned.
http://www.tacobell....edientstatement

I'm curious what you are ordering because hardly anything is gluten-free they way they make it on the menu. It would be handy to know something to eat at Taco Bell since they're open really late. Did you get them to put the chicken in a hard taco shell or something?
http://www.tacobell....ition/allergens

#5 Menic

Menic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

I'd worry more about CC at taco bell than the actual ingredients. Who knows who touched what in there.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'm curious why you'd be willing to put something in your mouth with so many additives. Just go buy a chicken breast and bake it. You'll save money and you wouldn't be eating scary stuff.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#7 lynnelise

lynnelise

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

Ok...I see in another post that you work at Taco Bell. I will say it's very possible that you could become glutened through the course of your general work day by touching gluteny foods or touching items that people who have touched those foods have touched and then touching your mouth. Nothing in the ingredients seems to contain gluten so I'd say CC is the culprit!

#8 AE Paul

AE Paul

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

As lynnelise pointed out, you just posted twice on another board saying that you are an employee and that "Taco Bell is a NO NO" since everything is cross-contaminated. Given those comments, why would you be eating the food "a few times" if you are gluten-intolerant? May I be so bold as to ask if you are STILL an employee?

#9 punkin513

punkin513

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

On the ingredients list they are putting "contains wheat" if there is wheat, so there is not gluten in the chicken. I'd guess either you got CC'd or just plain food poisoned.
http://www.tacobell....edientstatement

I'm curious what you are ordering because hardly anything is gluten-free they way they make it on the menu. It would be handy to know something to eat at Taco Bell since they're open really late. Did you get them to put the chicken in a hard taco shell or something?
http://www.tacobell....ition/allergens

Well what I do is put some chicken in a bowl and add nacho cheese and sour cream and eat it like that. The new dorito taco shell is gluten free at least at my store according to the box so I've put the chicken in that. My favoite way to eat the chicken is when we have the flatbread sandwiches because it brings in the bacon ranch sauce and it's yummy. The hardshell taco is not gluten free again at least not at my store according to the box. By the way for people who make the mistake of ordering the taco salad sub chicken for beef please check with the store because at my store all fried things are fried in the same fryer so the shell has cc check with your taco bell before ordering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: