This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are The Symptons Of Dairy Problems?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

What are the symptons of dairy problems? I am not feeling great again today so fast all I have eaten is Puffins Cereal and Coffee.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

some of the more frequent diary intolerance symptoms are gas, bloating, constipation. these links might help with info:

Open Original Shared Link

VydorScope Proficient
A person with lactose intolerance lacks an enzyme that is needed to digest milk sugar. When the person eats milk products, symptoms such as gas, bloating, and abdominal pain may occur.

That all fits. BAH. More questions is all I ever find. :(

nikki-uk Enthusiast

After 11 months gluten-free my dh developed a lactose intolerance.We finally figured it out after he had been eating ice cream.About 1 hr after he was doubled up with the cramps-diarrhea/sweats,exhausted after.He also gets a pounding headache that usually lasts till the next day(no amount of pain killers seem to shift a 'lactose induced headache).

He seems to be okay with butter ,cheese and yoghurt though.

Ina weird way the lactose problem was easy to decipher,whereas my dh doesn't react to being 'glutened'-impossible to know if he's been glutened.!

Good luck!

VydorScope Proficient

I dunno if this plays into it at all.. but when I eat fresh oranges (LOVE THEM!) my lips get all tingly and numb.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

my dairy reaction is instant gas, bloating, stomach discomfort, and then my body trys to get rid of it.

jenvan Collaborator

Vincent-- Are you trying to figure out if you have a casein intolerance or if you are lactose intolerant? You could try taking a lactaid pill with milk next time and if it helps you, perhaps its lactose intol...if it doesn't, than maybe its a more serious or casein intol. Just and idea...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent--  Are you trying to figure out if you have a casein intolerance or if you are lactose intolerant?  You could try taking a lactaid pill with milk next time and if it helps you, perhaps its lactose intol...if it doesn't, than maybe its a more serious or casein intol.  Just and idea...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea :( Could an issue with air for all I know any more :(

VydorScope Proficient

Gosh I guess it could be Dietary Fructose Intolerance (Open Original Shared Link)

VydorScope Proficient
What are the symptoms of fructose malabsorption and fructose intolerance?

For both: Gastro-intestinal distress: flatulence, bloating, diarrhea, fatigue, low iron or other nutrient deficiency.

In Fructose Malabsorption there is clinical evidence associating it with mood disturbances and depression.

Sugar cravings are strongly associated with Fructose sensitivity.

The symptoms of Fructose sensitivity are very similar to Lactose Intolerance so they can be misdiagnosed. Long term effects of malabsorption are anaemia; poor skin, nails and hair; general ill health and even osteoporosis.

That fits better then latose I think cuase of the Anaemia.... :(

Jnkmnky Collaborator
VydorScope Proficient

MODERATOR PLS DELETE DOUBLE POST

tarnalberry Community Regular

Bloating, gas, stomach pain, and the like are all symptoms of problems with dairy. It's important to figure out - as was mentioned - if it's lactose or casein. The easiest way is to first try having a glass of milk (nothing else that morning) and take Lactaid immediately before drinking it (or use Lactaid milk). If that *does* cause symptoms, try eliminating milk entirely for at least a week, then try the experiment again. If it does *not* cause symptoms, it's almost certainly due to lactose, and the lactaid may be the answer you need.

VydorScope Proficient
Bloating, gas, stomach pain, and the like are all symptoms of problems with dairy.  It's important to figure out - as was mentioned - if it's lactose or casein.  The easiest way is to first try having a glass of milk (nothing else that morning) and take Lactaid immediately before drinking it (or use Lactaid milk).  If that *does* cause symptoms, try eliminating milk entirely for at least a week, then try the experiment again.  If it does *not* cause symptoms, it's almost certainly due to lactose, and the lactaid may be the answer you need.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinkig of trying that... cept I just got home from Kroger and forgot to get some!!!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

If lactaid doesn't work for you, then you are most likely casein intolerant. I kind of figured that I am caseain intolerant since lactaid never seemed to work for me. I would take the highest dose of lactaid and only have a very small amount of dairy and I would still get sick. I just avoid dairy all together except for small amounts of lactose in medicine.

VydorScope Proficient

Okay I got lactate (sp?) stuff, the real full brand name rip off price verison, just to be sure. I think tommorow I am not gonna eat ANY dairy (Had cheeseburgers sans bun just now LOL) See if I start feeling better. If so then I will drink some milk and see what happens. If it goes bad, I will wiat till it passes then try the lactate sutffs.

If you want to be efficient about the testing, you want to test one variable at a time - since you can't easily test lactose without getting casein, you test lactose first, so it won't really tell you much (if you react) if you do dairy without the Lactaid before doing it with the Lactaid. It's a way to go, of course, it just means at least one additional test. ;-)

Also, give your system more than a day between tests. I'd say at least four days, but a week would be better. And don't add new foods that you don't usually have in it's place, or you'll be changing too many variables for a controlled test.

VydorScope Proficient
If you want to be efficient about the testing, you want to test one variable at a time - since you can't easily test lactose without getting casein, you test lactose first, so it won't really tell you much (if you react) if you do dairy without the Lactaid before doing it with the Lactaid.  It's a way to go, of course, it just means at least one additional test. ;-)

Also, give your system more than a day between tests.  I'd say at least four days, but a week would be better.  And don't add new foods that you don't usually have in it's place, or you'll be changing too many variables for a controlled test.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...Test..

Dariy w/o lactate - Reaction? Then either Cass or lactose.

Dairy w/ lactate - Reaction Then Either Cass or FRUCTOSE

Soooo its not that easy.. lactate has Fructose in it. :(

Well...Test..

Dariy w/o lactate - Reaction? Then either Cass or lactose.

Dairy w/ lactate - Reaction Then Either Cass or FRUCTOSE

Soooo its not that easy.. lactate has Fructose in it. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know that you were trying to determine if there was a fructose problem as well. I'd deal with that one separately, and first. Alternatively, you could try plain yogurt (live cultures) or kefir, which should have all the lactose brocken down. (Or see if you can find a formulation of lactase that does not have fructose in it.)

VydorScope Proficient
I didn't know that you were trying to determine if there was a fructose problem as well.  I'd deal with that one separately, and first.  Alternatively, you could try plain yogurt (live cultures) or kefir, which should have all the lactose brocken down.  (Or see if you can find a formulation of lactase that does not have fructose in it.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm soooo if I do Milk +Lactase and still have a problem... then what do I know? Its either cassin OR fructose OR both tright? I want to deal with them one at a time, I just not sure I can.

VydorScope Proficient

IF it is cassin... whats my plan of action, just aviod dariy?

Yep, if it's casein, you must avoid *all* forms of dairy. It's another label hunting adventure! :blink: (I think dairy is harder than gluten, but that's my opinion.)

VydorScope Proficient
Yep, if it's casein, you must avoid *all* forms of dairy. It's another label hunting adventure!  :blink:  (I think dairy is harder than gluten, but that's my opinion.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im still gassey/in pain/etc today... how long does it take to "get over" it? I know it takes my son 2 weeks with gluten... but hopng this is not like that.

lucky28 Explorer

I too have problems with lactose intolerance, in fact I think I am suffering a severe attack today. I have been studying hard for finals and I thought I would treat myself to a gluten-free pizza (I usually make my own meals but a gluten-free store opened just down the road) well I bought the pizza and I was so focused on my studying that I forgot to take my lactaid pills. I remembered about an hour later when I started with a little gas. It wasn't too bad so I was thinking that maybe my intestines were healing and my lactose problem was starting to go away.

WRONG :o

For some reason it was delayed-I woke up this morning with the whole range of symptoms. It seems to come in waves and has been really bad at times. I did just eat some plain yogurt that I added xtra digestive enzymes to. the pain got worse for a while and I had to fight to keep from vomiting but now it seems to be helping-a little. Hopefully I will be better tomorrow, Finals start tuesday and I still have alot to study. but it's kinda hard to concentrate now.

Oh, I don't know if anyone else has this symptom but I find that I usually get EXTREME thirst from lactose. It used to be right after I ate or drank it but last night I woke up in the middle of the night and had to chug 2 large glasses of water-and was still thirsty.

Im still gassey/in pain/etc today... how long does it take to "get over" it? I know it takes my son 2 weeks with gluten... but hopng this is not like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me, I get symptoms (headache, stomach ache, irritability) two hours after the dairy, and it lasts two or three days. It's similar to my gluten response in some ways, though shorter.

Archived