This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severe Weight Loss

DanielleR

DanielleR Rookie

font="Times New Roman"] I was told I have Celiacs in May of this year. I noticed around the middle of June that I was losing some weight. At first, I was all to thrilled to lose some extra but, then I could not wear any of my clothing. Since May I have lost 36lbs. I know that might not be alot to some, but I can't stop losing it. I keep a food journal, and I am eating the right and correct amount of food, but I can't seem to find the problem. My question would be is this normal? If so, how do I control it, and maintain my weight or, even gain some.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Are you at a normal weight now or underweight?

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

What does your diet look like? How old are you? How much do you weigh? M/F?

It will take a while for your absorption to get back where it should - so until then you might not be absorbing everything you're putting in your body.

DanielleR Rookie

I am a 5'8 female and 29 years old . I was 160lbs. Just slightly over weight. Now I am 124lbs underweight. I normally start off eating fruit or cereal for breaskfast. I can not have dairy so I use rice milk. For snakcks I will eat some type of nuts or chips (I know there are bad)and more fruit. Lunch I do Chicken salad, or a salad that actually has chicken in it, or chili. Then I usually have another snack bfore dinner, which is normally rolled up sliced ham or boiled eggs. Then for dinner I eat a meat, veg and some kind of potato. I also drink water and soda. Just recently started a vegan multi vitiam.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I am a 5'8 female and 29 years old . I was 160lbs. Just slightly over weight. Now I am 124lbs underweight. I normally start off eating fruit or cereal for breaskfast. I can not have dairy so I use rice milk. For snakcks I will eat some type of nuts or chips (I know there are bad)and more fruit. Lunch I do Chicken salad, or a salad that actually has chicken in it, or chili. Then I usually have another snack bfore dinner, which is normally rolled up sliced ham or boiled eggs. Then for dinner I eat a meat, veg and some kind of potato. I also drink water and soda. Just recently started a vegan multi vitiam.

It sounds like you are eating a very low fat diet. Here are some ideas:

• Eat soups based in bone broth. They should be gelatenous when they are cold. You can skim off the fat for cooking or just eat the soup with the fat left in it.
  • Eat avocados - they go great in chicken salad.
  • Sautee veggies with generous portions of coconut oil or duck, or other rendered saturated fat.
  • Make sure your breakfast includes protein and fat. Right now it's just sugar!
  • Eat nutbutters (You can make your own very easily in the food processor and might be able to get more nuts in than you currently eat).
  • Stop counting calories - are you feeling very full and sated? If not, you are not eating enough, or enough of the right foods.

DanielleR Rookie

I am still new to this, what soup can I eat that is Gluten Free? I have 3 super markets where I live so I may have to order off the internet. The problem is I have tried different foods that are not very good so I hate to order something and have one item shipped. I googled the nearest whole foods store and it's an hour and a half away, so we are planning a trip there soon.

domesticactivist Collaborator

Are there any farmers in your area? We get bones from them or from local butchers. Then you just add water and simmer the bones. Then you take the bones out and boil veggies in the stock to make soup.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Danielle,

I lost weight immediately after going gluten-free. That left me back at my prior weight before I had gotten sick. However after 2 yrs gluten-free, I suddenly lost alot more weight. That left me dangerously thin and even though being gluten-free gave me back so much energy, I was still more fatigued than I wanted to be. I knew those 2 things were indications that I might have blood sugar problems, as well as the fact that I had other risk factors. Sudden, unexplained weight loss is a sign of diabetes and we here are at greater risk. I suggest that you get tested. If it comes back no problem you will have not wasted anything. Diabetes often goes undx too long. It is also not a cut and dried T1 or T2, there are several more kinds and a spectrum of blood sugar issues. Know where you fall on that specturum. It is SO much easier to manage the earlier it is detected. If you do get tested ask for an A1C and maybe an OGTT. A fasting blood sugar or any 1 time reading is not a good indicator. The more data the better.

As for diet, I recommmend that you have a sizeable amount of protein at each meal, preferably from eggs or meat. Vegeterain sources of protein, often count more as carbs from a blood sugar perspective(I'm not anti-veg. I'm a wannabe, but my BG does the talking ;). I was able to GAIN weight on a low-carb diet by increasing pro(from meat), when others usually LOSE weight on low-carb.

Archived