6 replies to this topic

#1 anabananakins

anabananakins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

So, I went to a function last night and drank way, way too much. Open bar and I couldn't eat any of the food. I planned for this, ate a huge lunch and brought cookies but did I eat them? Nooooo. Also, it doesn't matter how big a lunch you eat if you are going to consume endless vodka drinks. I need to remember to eat.

So, of course I threw up all morning, napped for awhile and now I'm finally ready for something to eat. But this means I have to drag myself up the street because there's only one place that would deliver anything gluten-free and I don't feel like their food. I guess I should be more grateful I do have that option, but I don't, because I want soft gooey pizza that bends, not pizza on a super cripsy rice flour base. Grumbles. (I also have food at home but lean meat and veges? So not appealing right now. I want starches and grease!).

On the plus side, I'm very impressed that I resisted the cupcakes. I couldn't walk straight, but I didn't gluten myself.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

So, I went to a function last night and drank way, way too much. Open bar and I couldn't eat any of the food. I planned for this, ate a huge lunch and brought cookies but did I eat them? Nooooo. Also, it doesn't matter how big a lunch you eat if you are going to consume endless vodka drinks. I need to remember to eat.

So, of course I threw up all morning, napped for awhile and now I'm finally ready for something to eat. But this means I have to drag myself up the street because there's only one place that would deliver anything gluten-free and I don't feel like their food. I guess I should be more grateful I do
have that option, but I don't, because I want soft gooey pizza that bends, not pizza on a super cripsy rice flour base. Grumbles. (I also have food at home but lean meat and veges? So not appealing right now. I want starches
and grease!).

On the plus side, I'm very impressed that I resisted the cupcakes. I couldn't walk straight, but I didn't gluten myself.

gluten-free bagel with ham and egg and a Dr. Pepper?

I always want grease, caffeine, and sugar after one of those nights.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

I'm with PricklyPear. Hangovers absolutely require eggs. Srambled eggs with cheese because an omelette is too much work when you're hungover. Got any gluten-free toast or bagels?

And kudos on passing up the cupcakes. An alcohol hangover is far preferable to a gluten one!

#4 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

Fluids w/o caffeine- juice, Gatorade, ginger ale, room temp water with lemon.....lemon will help settle the stomach. Honey if you have a dry throat, dry toast which is also settling to the stomach. Fruit to help restore your vitamins. Pain reliever, warm wash cloth to the head, and some extra sleep.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#5 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

I'm with PricklyPear. Hangovers absolutely require eggs. Srambled eggs with cheese because an omelette is too much work when you're hungover. Got any gluten-free toast or bagels?

And kudos on passing up the cupcakes. An alcohol hangover is far preferable to a gluten one!

Do eggs really help hangovers. I got drunk the other night so much so, that I grabbed the bread roll on the table that I was sitting at for our function and ate the lot of it! It was a nice french bread roll - not gluten free - but I wasn't sick from it thankfully. Just had a little farting and burping *excuse me* afterwards. :o

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Eggs are a folk remedy for hangovers. The rationale is that they are rich in cysteine, which your liver burns through metabolizing the various chemicals in alcoholic drinks. Plus part of hangover is hypoglycemia so you need some simple, bland food and eggs are super-easy to cook and keep down.

I also find Alka-Seltzer helpful for the headache and nausea. You want to drink lots of fluid becasue hangovers are partly dehydration.

You can mitigate hangovers by drinking a lot of water over the course of the evening. I was tasting whiskey with a couple friends who are nurses and it was truly funny how much water we were going through between rounds. We all knew that we'd regret it if we didn't stay hydrated.

#7 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I actually had gluten-free bread in the freezer, I totally forgot. Gluten free bagels are hard to get here, alas, had none. I did boil an egg but I couldn't bear to eat it and since it's my regular breakfast, I didn't want to 'taint' it. I didn't know they were hangover remedy, next time I'll try and eat it.

Usually I drink a tonne of water - I did have three bottles that night - but I drank waaaaay too much on an empty stomach. Bad move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: