Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If I Cheat On My Gluten Free Diet, Could I Be More Likely To Get Type 1 Diabetes?

• Please log in to reply

48 replies to this topic

#1 alicewa

alicewa

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

If I cheat on my gluten free diet, could I be more likely to get type 1 diabetes?

I'm getting married this weekend and found out I'm celiac a few weeks ago and am already very tempted to eat a piece of the indulgent, robust and handsome looking wedding cake. I really didn't get too sick from gluten when I only had it once. It only was bad if I had it every day for several days.

But really I have a more important question:

Seeing as though both celiac and type 1 diabetes are autoimmune (and I have the genes for all of these conditions), I wondered if it is possible that this piece of cake that I plan on eating at the wedding on Thursday could possibly trigger my immune system to attack the pancreas???

I'm worried. My fiancÚ does not yet know I have celiac disease! I'm doomed :( And it's too late to have the cake done gluten-free, as the baker informed me she isn't interested in gluten-free. My life is falling apart.. HELP!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

First off tell your fiance the news. It is vital that you are open with him about this for the sake of your marriage. For one thing it is genetic, strongly so, and that means if and when you have children they may develop celiac also. If you hide it and he later finds out you knew before the wedding it may affect the trust level between you. If he loves you he will cry with you and support you in doing all that needs to be done to keep you healthy. It is crushing news so close to your wedding day and I am sorry this has happened to you. While I doubt that one piece of cake is going to trigger Type 1 there is a chance that it may ruin your honeymoon. One option might be to make a gluten-free cake, Betty Crocker has mixes that could be used. Then you and your new husband can share that while the guests eat the formal cake.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:22 AM

I'm worried. My fiancÚ does not yet know I have celiac disease! I'm doomed :( And it's too late to have the cake done gluten-free, as the baker informed me she isn't interested in gluten-free. My life is falling apart.. HELP!

Wow, your worried about eating the cake and you haven't told your future partner???? He needs to be told NOW !!!! Not telling now sounds like Grounds for divorce latter.. Just wonder if the rest of your meal is gluten free???

Good Luck on coming clean....
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#4 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

Wow, your worried about eating the cake and you haven't told your future partner???? He needs to be told NOW !!!! Not telling now sounds like Grounds for divorce latter.. Just wonder if the rest of your meal is gluten free???

Good Luck on coming clean....

I've just told him! He knows others who have been and he was really understanding. He said he'd see what he could arrange with the baker, but if nothing could be done I'd be welcome to have a piece of the regular cake if I think it's ok.

Perhaps I could just do it this once? My likelihood of developing other autoimmune diseases is high according to my GI doctor so I'm really worried about it. :huh:

#5 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

I've just told him! He knows others who have been and he was really understanding. He said he'd see what he could arrange with the baker, but if nothing could be done I'd be welcome to have a piece of the regular cake if I think it's ok.

Great.... I'm sure you feel better on that front.... I wouldn't tell anyone to eat gluten once, but it's your call... If you do eat it, I hope it doesn't ruin your week after the Big Event...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#6 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

If I cheat on my gluten free diet, could I be more likely to get type 1 diabetes?

I'm getting married this weekend and found out I'm celiac a few weeks ago and am already very tempted to eat a piece of the indulgent, robust and handsome looking wedding cake. I really didn't get too sick from gluten when I only had it once. It only was bad if I had it every day for several days.

But really I have a more important question:

Seeing as though both celiac and type 1 diabetes are autoimmune (and I have the genes for all of these conditions), I wondered if it is possible that this piece of cake that I plan on eating at the wedding on Thursday could possibly trigger my immune system to attack the pancreas???

I'm worried. My fiancé does not yet know I have celiac disease! I'm doomed :( And it's too late to have the cake done gluten-free, as the baker informed me she isn't interested in gluten-free. My life is falling apart.. HELP!

Oh my lord, I am SO HAPPY and relieved you told your fiance about your celiac. It's such a huge, life changing diagnosis, I can't see how a marriage would work trying to hide that for any length of time. Plus why would you want to? I told my fiance right away, when I was diagnosed. In fact, he was the one who initially suggested Celiac (because he's a ridiculous genius in many areas of science). He has been an invaluable source of strength and support, and has not questioned me once, ever on anything I need to eat or not eat. In fact, he's yelled at ME when he thinks I'm eating something I shouldn't or taking unnecessary risks with my health.

The Type 1 Diabetes, alas, I know little about. If you're very concerned, maybe get your sugar levels checked at the Doctor's office? There's plenty of stuff marketed to celiacs that is so far from sugar free, it's not even funny. I think, you know, moderate your sugar intake like anything else. Like many autoimmune diseases, I don't think it's well understood what causes the onset of Type 1 Diabetes, since it has immune, genetic, and environmental factors at work.

Now- the baker. Get rid of her. You're the client, she's the baker. She's not "interested" in gluten free? Well, I'm not interested in a lot of things I do at work, and yet I do them anyway, especially when it comes to the health and safety of my customers. If you're paying, then you have the right to either pay extra, because a gluten free cake would cost more in actuality to make ingredients-wise, if that's the issue. Or you can take your business, and your big fat check, elsewhere.

Oh, also, keep in mind, if you've gone gluten free for any length of time, the tendency for most people is to get more sensitive. That is, they react to smaller and smaller doses of gluten over time. So, while a piece of cake may not have made you sick in the past, after a month Gluten-Free, it might be more than enough. Do you really want to run the risk of hightailing out of your reception to find the bathroom? <_<

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Without reading any of the literature or researching it, my understanding is that people with Type I are more likely than most to have celiac, not that you're more likely to develop Type I if you have celiac. Glad you told your fiance.

richard

#8 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

Get a separate, smaller gluten free cake for yourself.

Should be an interesting honeymoon.

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

Many cities have gluten-free bakers. Google " City gluten free". And see if any turn up.

I can understand why the baker might not want to attempt gluten-free. Her kitchen & pans would not be safe. She couldn't make a really gluten-free cake. Maybe she would ice & decorate one that you made?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#10 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

Cautionary tale: I went gluten and dairy free as part of a cleanse, because I'd been feeling like utter crapola for several years. After trying the diet for 2 weeks I thought that gluten was just too hard, so I kept testing it and kept getting sick. So, I decided that being gluten/dairy free was just the price I'd have to pay to feel wonderful. At that point I was willing to feel like getting out of bed most days. But I think my body was rejecting the gluten/dairy I could still sort of function.

Six weeks later we traveled to RI for a convention and brought our almost 7 year old along since it was her birthday weekend. We were at a hotel that really didn't have good options on the menu so I decided that I would just be gluten/dairy free when I was home and it was easy. My immune system went into full on attack. My joints were so swollen and I was in so much pain I could barely walk. I had a DH rash over my entire body...it was the worst on my butt...sorry but I thought for your honeymoon, well...you might want that to look nice. Oh...also on my face, neck and chest. On the day my daughter turned 7 her dad was at the convention and she watched cartoons in the hotel room all day while I slept. I could barely walk to the bathroom. I for the life of me don't know how I made it back home (3 planes...2 connections, one crabby child and me. I don't really remember that day).
I was in bed for 3 weeks, sleeping 16 hours a day.

I was completely shocked. I'd never had a reaction like that until my body was "clean."

Like Takala said, get a little gluten free cake for yourself, or forego it (you'll get used to this part of Celiac). I am not surprised your fiance is supportive. It's really not the worst diagnosis ever, even though it's overwhelming.

Best of luck to you. I would never be the one to tell you to cheat with gluten, BUT if you did, I wouldn't pick that time of your life.

eta: Both my mom and 40 year old brother have diabetes. My mom was a dietician who never drank, smoked, she ate healthy, exercised, but probably had undiagnosed gluten intolerance until she was in her 60's. My bro just wont' accept he needs to go gluten free even though he's been the sickest of the three of us. I'm 43 and tested for diabetes every year. Still okay...but numbers are high side of normal.

#11 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

OUCH! Probably best to stick to the gluten-free diet!

#12 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

I'm so glad you told your fiance! If you haven't been gluten-free yet, the cake will probably give you the same reactions as before. But if you've been gluten-free the past couple weeks I really wouldn't want to chance it for my wedding night! Why chance ruining your honeymoon for a piece of cake, no matter how delicious?

I understand the baker not wanting to do gluten-free. Not only is her work space completely contaminated, but she probably doesn't know how to make a decent gluten-free cake!

My mom actually had all gluten-free cakes at her wedding, well before we knew gluten was a problem! The baker she chose for the beauty and taste of her cakes happened to be completely gluten-free. Of course, we live in Portland where there is a lot of selection.

If it is too late to find a competent gluten-free baker in your area, I'd go with the suggestions to bake up your own gluten-free cake and stick with the cake you have chosen - for the guests. If you can find a good gluten-free baker I would fire yours and switch. It's not like the baker was going to make your cake 2 weeks in advance :)
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#13 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

I didn't know I had celiac when I got married, but I had chronic pain and GI issues that affected our honeymoon activities... While we expected them, if I'd known then what I'd known now, I'd have gone completely without cake if a gluten-free option wasn't available. Share and feed each other decadent beautiful berries, or chocolates, or anything but those fancy pants special order vegan cupcakes from Freed's in Vegas, which actually weren't very good cupcakes anyway.

That said, YOU are the bride and it is YOUR day with your husband to be. If they won't work around a health concern, in your shoes I'd either have a friend whip up some gluten-free cupcakes just for you and your future husband, or see if another baker would help you out. And I'd make sure everyone knew how inflexible an insensitive that baker was for your special day.

If I could have had my wedding and honeymoon without IBS, GERD, DH, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and sensory overload, I'd have been all over it. I had a wonderful time eating delicious gluteny food for that time, but a dietary inconvenience in exchange for even more quality time with my wonderful partner would have been well worth it. No food feels as good as my partners' companionship feels.

I'm glad you told your fiancÚ before your wedding. I hope you have many happy years with less sickness and more health, and that you're both each others' biggest supporters and cheerleaders.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

OUCH! Probably best to stick to the gluten-free diet!

You couldn't pay me enough to risk messing up something like my wedding day with gluten. I didn't used to react so strongly. Now if I get into traces of gluten it's cramps diarrhea for the rest of the day.

Any chance you can get a family member to make you a cake from the Betty Crocker mix and put it out on the cake table at the wedding? Whole Foods also has frozen gluten-free cakes.

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

You couldn't pay me enough to risk messing up something like my wedding day with gluten. I didn't used to react so strongly. Now if I get into traces of gluten it's cramps diarrhea for the rest of the day.

Any chance you can get a family member to make you a cake from the Betty Crocker mix and put it out on the cake table at the wedding? Whole Foods also has frozen gluten-free cakes.

In addition to Whole Foods some Wegmans carry some really good and lovely premade gluten free cakes. They also make eating gluten free easy as they label all their gluten-free stuff with a circle G.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: