Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If I Cheat On My Gluten Free Diet, Could I Be More Likely To Get Type 1 Diabetes?

• Please log in to reply

48 replies to this topic

#16 Katrala

Katrala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

I'm gonna go against what others have said.

It's your wedding day.

You said you don't have extreme outward reactions.

If it were me in the same situation and I had just been diagnosed, I'd be eating my cake.

Now, if you're gluten-free for awhile before hand, you may have other reactions, etc. If you're not going to have outward reactions and this whole thing is new to you, it's not going to be the end of the world if you do. Even if it's only for those "feeding each other" pictures.

And for those that are upset at the baker, I don't blame her one bit. Baking gluten-free is a huge undertaking and the whole "customer is always right" thing goes out the window, IMO. I'd much rather a baker tell me upfront they aren't interested in doing it than tell me they will try and try to bake a cake in a gluten kitchen, etc. without really knowing what they are doing. Do you really expect a gluten-only baker to go buy new pans, etc. just to bake one customer's wedding cake?
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for your replies. I was worried as my doctor told me to imagine that next croissant being my type 1 diabetes as he seems to think there's a connection.

From what I see elsewhere it seems like long term complications from celiac are unlikely on just one occasion. Especially if I only have one piece and since I was only diagnosed recently.

I think I'll stick to plan and have a piece of the rest of the wheat cake and enjoy it. I'll let you know how it all goes. :P

#18 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

I was dx'd with wheat intolerance last year while planning my wedding, I bounced back and forth between having a gluten-free cake and meal for myself and just eating the meal I wanted. Since I hadn't gone 100% gluten-free yet and was only doing "gluten light" I figured one night wouldn't hurt. So I ate, the gluten cake my mom made, gluten pasta, bread, crab cakes, and pork gyozas plus drinking. I was so sick and out of it I don't remember my ride in the stretch limo to the airport, I felt like hell during the 12hr flights and the layovers, plus I was sick for most of my 2 week honeymoon. It's not worth it.

#19 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for your replies. I was worried as my doctor told me to imagine that next croissant being my type 1 diabetes as he seems to think there's a connection.

From what I see elsewhere it seems like long term complications from celiac are unlikely on just one occasion. Especially if I only have one piece and since I was only diagnosed recently.

I think I'll stick to plan and have a piece of the rest of the wheat cake and enjoy it. I'll let you know how it all goes. :P

Your dr probably told you this as a way to give you will power to avoid gluten. Most of us think of it as poison or think of the terrible diseases that other undiganosed family members suffered. Eating one piece of cake will probably not cause type 1 diabetes but cheating on your wedding day could make you sick enough you won't enjoy the honeymoon. Even if your symptoms were not bad before they may be much worse now that you have been gluten-free for a few weeks.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

Well, I don't know what the science says about untreated Celiac leading to Diabetes...but my genetic tests show me I am STRONGLY at risk of developing Diabetes.

Now, that wouldn't scare me except that one of my blood tests shows "prediabetic". That test may be showing that result from my iron anemia - which us why I must work to get it straightened out quickly...

Type 1 Diabetes is called an autoimmune disease, which can be triggered like any other autoimmune disease. My rounds of corticosteroids may have been the trigger...since my body was not regulating sugar after going on them (and coming off them).

I do know that I feel very odd when I eat gluten, have a DH breakout, or eat extreme salicylates (dyes, preservatives). That INCLUDES having a hard time regulating sugar.

So, if your doctor knows your genetics are skewed towards Diabetes (family history or genetic testing) s/he is very wise to warn you - Celiac itself is closely linked to Diabetes. Whether continuing to eat gluten contributes to Diabetes onset -who knows. We each have our own path with this
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#21 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I just wanted to add congrats on the upcoming wedding. I do hope if you do choose to risk it with the cake that you don't have too severe of a reaction. If you do it might also be a good idea to make sure you have a pain reliever, some liquid name brand Pepto Bismal and some immodium with you on your honeymoon, just to be on the safe side. Hopefully you won't react badly but if you do it is best to be prepared.
Most of all have a great wedding day and many years of coming happiness.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#22 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

I'll also suggest a heating pad or hot water bottle to your honeymoon pain reliever kit.

I wouldn't suggest eating the cake at your wedding, or anything else with gluten in it. You've been off gluten for a while by then, and you will definitely have a more noticeable reaction than you have in the past before going gluten-free. You can bet on it. Why ruin what is supposed to be the best night of your life, and then also your honeymoon, just for one piece of cake?

Find a gluten free baker who will do a cake just for you and your soon-to-be husband. I'm sure they'd be able to match it to the other one.

#23 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

I'll also suggest a heating pad or hot water bottle to your honeymoon pain reliever kit.

I wouldn't suggest eating the cake at your wedding, or anything else with gluten in it. You've been off gluten for a while by then, and you will definitely have a more noticeable reaction than you have in the past before going gluten-free. You can bet on it. Why ruin what is supposed to be the best night of your life, and then also your honeymoon, just for one piece of cake?

Find a gluten free baker who will do a cake just for you and your soon-to-be husband. I'm sure they'd be able to match it to the other one.

Aren't some hot water bottles filled with wheat?

I just can't not eat the cake. I want to have what everyone else is having :angry:

It's too late by now anyway. Usually my reactions are over within 12 hours. I don't think it would be more than 24-48 hours and we'll be flying over to Spain for the honeymoon 2 days later. Maybe I'll try and strengthen my immune system and be well rested before the day so I withstand the *attack* better. :huh:

#24 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

I just can't not eat the cake. I want to have what everyone else is having :angry:

It's too late by now anyway. Usually my reactions are over within 12 hours. I don't think it would be more than 24-48 hours and we'll be flying over to Spain for the honeymoon 2 days later. Maybe I'll try and strengthen my immune system and be well rested before the day so I withstand the *attack* better. :huh:

What we have been trying to explain is many people's reactions get WORSE the longer they are gluten-free. I really hope this is not the case for you if you cheat on your wedding day. I don't condone cheating but if you are determined to have regular cake on your wedding day perhaps your should cheat a week or two earlier than that once with a piece of cake to see how bad the reaction will be. Then decide if you really want to put yourself through that on a big important day. It's really not too late to get yourself a separate gluten-free cake just for you and hubby. They can taste every bit as good as regular gluteny cake. I reccommend Pamela's cake mixes to you. They are simply wonderful. Betty Crocker's good but the yellow cake mix is a little dry.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#25 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

I was going to let this go, because even after hearing other's experiences about their own weddings/honeymoons, or that first glutening after being gluten free I can see you are still determined to have the cake. I remember for MONTHS after going gluten free having to come to terms with a life without pizza or a cheeseburger ever again...at least not the way I wanted them. It's extremely overwhelming at first.

I just wanted to reiterate that I had a terrible rash over my whole body, slept constantly...and here's the big thing: Do not have any memory of much of the following weeks after being glutened for the first time after being "clean" for awhile. If I felt like I really needed to cheat, I would clear my schedule for a few days and have had it. I am sorry, I truly truly truly wish you the best of luck on your wedding and honeymoon, but I personally think you are taking a CRAZY risk

#26 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

None that I am aware of. Hot water bottles are rubber, you fill them with water. I think there might be reusable heat packs that have grain. But, they make the fillings out of other materials as well, I had one with cherry pits. You can make one and fill it with rice and dried lavender, but you'd need to be able to sew.

#27 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

I live in the south and down here we usually have 2 cakes at a wedding - the traditional white wedding cake and a groom's cake that is usually chocolate. Since you've already ordered the wedding cake with gluten, do you think you could get a gluten free groom's cake and use that to eat? That way you could still have your pretty wedding cake and wouldn't have to worry about getting sick. Your piece would be sliced first, so you wouldn't have to worry about cross contamination. And you could put the cakes on two separate tables to help with the CC issue too.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#28 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

Good luck! Hope you have a great wedding and honeymoon.

I'm unsure from what you've written as to whether you have eaten gluten within the past few weeks and had little reaction or whether you've been 100% gluten free since diagnoses and are judging your gluten reaction on what you felt before going gluten free. If so I'm going to have to add to the posts urging you not to eat the cake. The first time I was glutened (100% by accident) I was in the bathroom within an hour. Plus when the urge hit I had literally less than 2 minutes to get to the bathroom!!! Thank God I was so close! Then I got a terrible rash, bloating, fatigue, joint aches, and continued diarrhea for the next couple of weeks. I can assure you that that reaction was nothing like what I felt before going gluten free.

#29 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

Thank you for all your replies. We got something sorted today. The whole cake will be gluten-free and will have the same design. We were referred to a retired cake decorator and baker who'd had experience in gluten-free and she said she'd be willing to do it just this once. :)

The cost will be about double that of the original, but that's ok. Great someone cares enough to do it. I'll let you know how it is.

*sighs of relief* ;)

#30 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

That's great news! One fewer worry for the wedding. I hope it looks and tastes wonderful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: