Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If I Cheat On My Gluten Free Diet, Could I Be More Likely To Get Type 1 Diabetes?

• Please log in to reply

48 replies to this topic

#31 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

Thank you for all your replies. We got something sorted today. The whole cake will be gluten-free and will have the same design. We were referred to a retired cake decorator and baker who'd had experience in gluten-free and she said she'd be willing to do it just this once. :)

The cost will be about double that of the original, but that's ok. Great someone cares enough to do it. I'll let you know how it is.

*sighs of relief* ;)

I'm So glad for you! I bet no one will even know it's gluten-free unless you tell them!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:34 AM

Thank you for all your replies. We got something sorted today. The whole cake will be gluten-free and will have the same design. We were referred to a retired cake decorator and baker who'd had experience in gluten-free and she said she'd be willing to do it just this once. :)

The cost will be about double that of the original, but that's ok. Great someone cares enough to do it. I'll let you know how it is.

*sighs of relief* ;)

Great news. They big day is almost here and glad to hear it has worked out safely. I bet the cake will be beautiful. Enjoy your day.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#33 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

I hope the gluten-free cake is amazing!

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#34 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

good news on the gluten free cake! That's awesome that you found a decorator who could do it at short notice :)

#35 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

I feel so relieved for you, and am so glad you solved the problem. Have a wonderful wedding!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#36 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

Phew! I was really worried about you. You will have a wonderful wedding, you'll feel healthy and have an awesome honeymoon. This will be one of the very best times of your life. Congratulations and have fun!

#37 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. The day came and it was absolutely great. I feel so guilty now for contemplating eating a normal cake.

The gluten free wedding cake was so good. We didn't even tell anyone else I'm celiac, only the venue staff knew and everything served was gluten free. :)

Had it not been for this forum I don't think we would have been convinced to make alternative plans, so once again THANK YOU!

We're on our honeymoon at the moment, and the gluten-free food offerings have been really good, too! :D

#38 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

Congratulations! :D

#39 jswog

jswog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. The day came and it was absolutely great. I feel so guilty now for contemplating eating a normal cake.

The gluten free wedding cake was so good. We didn't even tell anyone else I'm celiac, only the venue staff knew and everything served was gluten free. :)

Had it not been for this forum I don't think we would have been convinced to make alternative plans, so once again THANK YOU!

We're on our honeymoon at the moment, and the gluten-free food offerings have been really good, too! :D

That's AWESOME! If I'd known then what I know now, I would have gone gluten free BEFORE my wedding instead of waiting until afterwards. My wedding was Sept 10 and my last day of consuming gluten was Sept 13. While my wedding day was all that I wanted it to be, I definately did not enjoy is like I could have had I felt the way I do now. Instead I had two of the WORST mouth sores I've ever had in my life, my hemrroids were HORRIBLY painful, my body ached, etc...

#40 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Congratulations! I'm so glad your day went well and the cake was good. Your off to a great start now with a new husband that knows that gluten-free food can be good food too! Enjoy your honeymoon!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#41 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear your wedding went well!

#42 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

Fabulous!!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#43 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

Great to hear all went well. Enjoy your honeymoon and may you have many happy gluten free years together.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#44 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

What a happy ending-- and beginning!! I'm so glad for you :)

Have a wonderful honeymoon!!

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#45 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Yay! I'm so glad you got it sorted and had a wonderful and safe and delicious wedding day! Congratulations, I hope the two of you have a great honeymoon and even better life together.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: