17 replies to this topic

#1 alicewa

alicewa

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

Then there's the celiac vaccine coming out. I really don't want to follow this gluten free diet if I don't have to. If there's anything I've suggested above that you think may work, then please let me know. Dr Wise's gluten relief seems to be a good solution but I never heard of it before I saw a video on it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

At this point all those things are just snake oil. The only 'cure' is to follow a strict gluten-free diet.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

If you believe in the potential of "mind power" then the ability to make yourself want and enjoy a gluten free diet is there.

Nirvana ain't a Subway sandwich, and there are no magical over the counter pills that counter the auto immune reaction.

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

It's bull.

Richard

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Sorry, kiddo.

A gluten free diet is the only known, proven treatment to control/stop the disease process.

If someone came up with a legitimate, real "cure"---it would be front page news. :)

You may wish to read up on Celiac Disease so you completely understand the autoimmune reaction--- and why "mind control" and other fake cures will never work.

Best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

If I remember correctly, Dr. Rodney Ford says celiacs is a disease of the brain and not the gut.

That was perhaps why I thought mind power may work. Thinking more deeply about it though, it seems unlikely.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

If I remember correctly, Dr. Rodney Ford says celiacs is a disease of the brain and not the gut.

That was perhaps why I thought mind power may work. Thinking more deeply about it though, it seems unlikely.

ahh......NO. That is totally incorrect. I believe Dr. Ford contends that gluten damages the gut, brain and nerves. (which it does)

http://www.celiac.co...odney-Ford-M.D.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

Her dad presented a testimonial to this case and she ate a subway sandwich and felt fine afterwards whereas previous to the therapy she got extremely sick.

Also remember that just because someone feels fine after eating gluten doesn't mean that internal damage isn't being done. What matters is the effect on the villi and not how someone feels.

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

Celiac is an autoimmune disease that can impact the entire body. Mind power will certainly not work against celiac any more than it would work against MS, cancer or any other disease.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Also heard of some people being cured through their mind power. Dr Raffael Panjaj (I think that was his name) supposedly went to sydney, australia in 2006 and cured a lady of the ailment. Her dad presented a testimonial to this case and she ate a subway sandwich and felt fine afterwards whereas previous to the therapy she got extremely sick.

A mice experiment seemed to show some evidence of a treatment plan for celiac disease as well but again I'd have to look more into it.

Then there's the celiac vaccine coming out. I really don't want to follow this gluten free diet if I don't have to.

The only treatment for celiac is a gluten free diet. While that young lady may have felt fine after eating the sandwich you have to keep in mind that for one thing there is silent celiac and for another it can take up to a week for the reaction to hit. The diet isn't that bad and it will prevent lots of stuff from happening down the road. Not the least of which is miscarriage and the inability to get pregnant if you should want to have a child.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

You can bet if there were a real cure for celiac disease that the people on this board would be all over it. Lots of things are promoted for the simple reason that they make money for the people promoting them or someone they are behind the scenes connected to. Claims made for supplements are not regulated by the FDA and supplement manufacturers in the USA do not have to prove their claims. This situation has a good side and a bad side. New products can get to the market quickly with this system with minimal red-tape. Also new snake oil can get to the market quickly with minimal or no red tape. Anybody can write something and put it on the WWW, but that doesn't make it true.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:11 AM

All of those things are complete bunk. We have a new health food store and I went in looking for some gluten free items. The lady at the desk started telling me about another customer that was able to "cure" her celiac through a doctor just over the mountain from me. She wanted to know if I wanted the info. I respectly declined, telling her the only cure for celic is following a gluten free diet and I was content doing what I was doing. There are people everywhere that try to promote anything to make a quick buck. That is all those products are doing is giving false hope while smiling on the way to the bank!

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

One half of me tells me it's too good to be true but the other seems to be urging me to try something. :unsure:

The half of you who is saying it is too good to be true is the half that is right. You are very early into diagnosis and it is not uncommon for people to 'grasp at straws' at first. Unfortunately there is not treatment or cure for celiac other than the diet followed strictly. Even stuff that might ease the GI discomfort isn't going to stop the autoimmune process. I wish I could tell you that a 'cure' is around the corner but it just isn't.

#14 GlutenDude

GlutenDude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

People will do anything for a buck and leading the way is taking advantage of someone's susceptibility. We want to be cured, so therefore there must be a cure out there if we just look hard enough. Sorry...ain't gonna happen.

#15 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:20 AM

Where abouts was this area where she was cured? Did the person at your health food store respond well to what you said?

The "supposed person" was around the Asheville, NC area. I didn't buy into it at all. The lady still tried to convince me, but after I got "firm" with my stance on the subject, she stopped. I very rarely go there anymore. The also opened up a vegetarian restaruant beside it that offers gluten free also. I'm hesitant on trying it because of the general attitude plus their menu wasn't all that impressive.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: