This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cross Contamination Possibility?

Mjohnson73

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

Hey all,

I am not feeling well at all today :(

Only thing I can think of is that I got cross contaminated at McDonald's today at lunch...

I ordered a Quarter Pounder with Cheese (no bun)....

I told them that the bun couldn't even touch and they said ok..and I watched them make it... but I didn't see any contamination...could it have still been cross contaminated or maybe the pickles? I thought I read something on here that said Pickles were not gluten-free?? or are they??

and I got an order of Fries...

all i know is i feel like crap :(

Help....

should I just not eat at McDonald's, I seem to not feel well there a fair amount....

any ideas?

-Maya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmmadden Contributor

Last time I ate at McDonalds all I had was the fries and I got sick. I know they say they use dedicated fryers but you wonder what some 16-year old who's working the night shift does when they must make a fish sandwich and the other fryers are shut down already. Too easy for cross-contamination so I'm staying away from now on.

Best of luck!

Cleveland Bob

redheadheather Explorer

I would think that the way they make food there (mass produced like that) it'd be pretty easy to get cross-contamination in your order even if you watched them make your food.

I'm just starting to research gluten free eating (Mom/Grandma have Celiac as did DH's Grandmother - and I suspect he does as well)... DS just got tested yesterday. I am planning on giving up most fast foods as I don't know enough at this point what to order and what not to order. ANd... they're not the healthiest places to eat anyway (that's a plus huh?? on the road to healther eating already hee hee)

Good luck!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Anywhere you go out to eat that serves gluten food can have cross contamination.

I have not had a problem with the fries but some people have-you need to make sure they fry them separately. They are supposed to but some do not follow it.

I would not trust burgers in those places though-just too risky. You could have definitely got cross contamination from there.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

If they did not change their gloves or wash their hands when they made your meal, then you could have been contaminated.

nettiebeads Apprentice
Hey all,

I am not feeling well at all today  :(

Only thing I can think of is that I got cross contaminated at McDonald's today at lunch...

I told them that the bun couldn't even touch and they said ok..and I watched them make it... but I didn't see any contamination...could it have still been cross contaminated or maybe the pickles? I thought I read something on here that said Pickles were not gluten-free?? or are they??

Help....

should I just not eat at McDonald's, I seem to not feel well there a fair amount....

any ideas?

-Maya

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've cut out Micky D's entirely. Even if you didn't see any cross-contamination, it could have happened before your order was done up. If buns were previously toasted on the grill and then your burger placed there...if a utensil was used to make a traditional burger, then used to make your order... if someone made a burger, then made yours with the same gloves on... Better safe than sorry and sick. I know the feeling though. Every time I eat out and am as careful as possible, there's that "what if" in the back of my mind and I'm mentally holding my breath until I know I'm in the clear. Of course, it could be that the food is just not setting well because of the celiac disease. There are times when I know I haven't been glutenated and foods that usually aren't a problem give me tummy upset. Then I'm on bland, easy digestable foods for awhile. No real rhyme or reason to it, it seems.

climbhigher2 Newbie

Hello,

I'm new to all of this. I've been sick for several years now, but my test reports just came back & I just received all positives.

I've tested the gluten-free diet here & there - before the doctors did the biopsy - and it certainly helped, though not at all tasty.

Do I really have to be GL forever? Am I now the person who has to send a house salad back because they forgot to 'hold the crutons?' Is this really the case?

What about when going to friends or family gatherings / dinners? Do I need to tell them of my menu limitations...seems sort of rude? What about cocktails?

I guess my biggest question is: Is celiac disease a big deal? And if so, why?

I've asked that question to my doctor and I get a scientific description and another hand out. Everything that seems to say stay GL and be perfectly healthy. Don't stay GL and what? Just as I felt before, or it is really harming my body?

Thanks for allowing me to play 20 questions. :)

lo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Hello,

Do I really have to be GL forever?  Am I now the person who has to send a house salad back because they forgot to 'hold the crutons?'  Is this really the case?

What about when going to friends or family gatherings / dinners?  Do I need to tell them of my menu limitations...seems sort of rude?  What about cocktails?

I guess my biggest question is: Is celiac disease a big deal?  And if so, why?

I've asked that question to my doctor and I get a scientific description and another hand out.  Everything that seems to say stay GL and be perfectly healthy.  Don't stay GL and what?  Just as I felt before, or it is really harming my body?

Thanks for allowing me to play 20 questions.  :)

lo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would it be rude to tell them limitations? If it was diabetes would you still think its rude to tell them limitations? It's the same thing except a different disease.

It is a big deal if you do not follow it. 40-100 times more likely to get cancer, diabetes, and other life threatening and disabling things. Also takes an average of 10 years off your life if not followed.

You have to be gluten free for life. It is literally destroying your intestines even if you get no symptoms.

If someone gives you a salad with croutons you bet you have to send it back. Crumbs can cause the damage so you can't just take them off.

You also have to check products like lipsticks and other makeups, shampoos, soaps, etc. Anything that has even a chance of getting in your mouth needs to be checked.

This can be life threatening if you do not follow the diet so its not something to mess around with.

Even if you are 99% gluten free thats not enough. You need to be 100% gluten free. Even accidents as frequent as once a month in the smallest amount is just like not even following the diet because you will keep damaging your intestines and they will never heal.

This site is an invaluable resource that will be so helpful.

You are welcome to e-mail me if you need help too.

emeraldskies Rookie
I guess my biggest question is: Is celiac disease a big deal?  And if so, why?

I've asked that question to my doctor and I get a scientific description and another hand out.  Everything that seems to say stay GL and be perfectly healthy.  Don't stay GL and what?  Just as I felt before, or it is really harming my body?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These are the things that happened to me when I went undiagnosed for so many years:

- I have a bone disease similar to rickets, but it has curved the bones in my entire body. This causes pain during movement, so my muscles have atrophied, and I have constant referred pain throughout my body. I am an artist, yet I can no longer do my craft due to the pain. I am a musician, yet I've had to give up the drums. I weight-trained for many years, and now I am bony with no muscle tone. In most neglected cases, there are bone disorders, commonly osteoporosis or at least osteopenia.

- I developed other autoimmune diseases (there are all kinds of terrible ones, and you don't know which ones you will end up with. Many have no cures or no treatment. Untreated celiac disease increases the chance of getting more autoimmune diseases in all celiacs).

- I have hormone levels way off the scale (in how low they are) due to lack of cholesterol. If you are female, this means horrible PMS, painful and difficult periods, exhaustion, and lack of concentration. If you are male, this means low sex drive, low muscle tone, lack of concentration, and tiredness. In both genders, bone density decreases significantly. In both genders, you have no circadian rhythms, can't handle any stress, and have inflammation throughout your body. You may develop new allergies to foods, animals, and plants and find yourself becoming sensitive to certain products (such as household cleaning products).

- I also have neurological problems. I would fail anything they test for during sobriety tests. I have a constant tremor (which puts people off because they think I'm nervous or lack social skills. I have to continually explain. I can hardly write, and I can't get my body to do what I want it to do), I stumble around all of the time (have to take a long time going up and down stairs, and ice is a problem), and I'm just uncoordinated in general. Before I knew what it was and could explain, I took a lot of flack from many people, who tended to make fun of me or judge me. If you like to dance or play sports, that isn't an option with this.

- There are also many other problems, which may seem insignificant but add up to a lot (migraines, poor circulation, insomnia, etc). I am too fatigued to work and had to give up my career. I can no longer drive.

These are just the problems that I have experienced, and I'm only 27. For many years, I had few symptoms, and I thought nothing of them. The end result of untreated celiac disease is a 100% increased chance of getting intestinal lymphoma (cancer in your intestines).

gf4life Enthusiast
Hey all,

I am not feeling well at all today  :(

Help....

any ideas?

-Maya

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Open Original Shared Link

Here is a link to the McDonald's gluten free list.

The pickles are gluten free.

It could be that the fries are not cooked in a dedicated fryer, or that the burger was contaminated. I only ever get the double cheese burger, so I am not familiar with the quarter pounder. Does it have a special sauce or just ketchup? If it has a different sauce then it could be the sauce.

The risk of contamination is high anytime we eat away from home, whether it is fast food or a sit down, homestyle cooking restaurant. Actually for fast food, McD's is one of the best for getting a safe meal (at most locations) and they are very aware of food allergy issues and gluten. A lot of the McD's are also offering the lettuce wrapped burgers as a regular menu offering. I also noticed that they have now added a button on the register that prints "NO bun" and "meat only" on the order receipt.

God bless,

Mariann

VydorScope Proficient

I have siad many many times not to trust the fries at Mcdondals.... no one wants to believe me... and yet this is another example why. I have always had a gluten incident at McDondals. I never go there any more.

gf4life Enthusiast

Vincent,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I'm sure you are healthier by skipping the fast food, but those of us who choose to eat it are also entitled to eat it and share our experiences. I understand how frustrated you are, but I have never felt sick after eating McD's fries. We don't go there often, but it is nice to have a quick easy lunch when we are out of town, or running errands. And the kids like it as a treat.

We have educated our local McD's about our food intolerance, but I haven't had a problem getting cooperation at any McD's except for one in LA. I said no biscuit for my breakfast, she offered me english muffin, I said NO BREAD, and ended up with an english muffin sitting on top of my eggs! :blink: But those mistakes happen everywhere, not just McD's. The worst part about it is that they weren't even busy. We were the only people in there at 9:30 AM on a Tuesday. You would think they could get the order right...

God bless,

Mariann

Archived