This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For A Support Group

jas308

jas308 Newbie

Hello,

I have not been officially diagnosed with Celiac. However, my blood tests always come back not statistically significant. In addition, I have a family member who has been diagnosed. I have two family friends who are nurses and I have about 90 percent of the symtoms. I have decided to be proactive and give the gluten free diet a try. I am lost as where to start. If anyone has any ideas of what for me to look for in purchasing food or where to go I would be happy for the suggestions. Thanks so much for your help.

JAS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

The easiest way to go gluten free is to eat natural foods; e.g., meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, rice, eggs, etc. If you feel you MUST have gluten-free bread, the best brands (IMHO) are Against the grain, Udi's, and Rudi's--and all of these can be found in the freezer section of an upscale or health market. The best gluten-free pastas are Tinkiyada and Glutino....and if you'd like to buy "regular" food that is gluten free, here is a link:

Open Original Shared Link

Hope this helps!

AVR1962 Collaborator

To really give this a good test, I'll give you the advise my gastro gave me......go off glutens and dairy for two months. Gluten and dairy intolerance many times walk hand in hand because of the damage it does to the villa in the intestines. Once damaged you have to repair your system in order to tolerate dairy again.

Read labels, go whole foods, natural, don't cheat. No fast foods, no frozen dinners, no boxed mixes, no marinades, check your canned foods and candy. Two months of this and you will have an answer. If you decide to give up both for a month, introduce only one at first to see if you have any effects.....you should know by the next day. Then go off both to clear your system again and then try the other. Dairy is actually the #1 food intolerance and gluten #2 according to my gastro.

I wish you the best of luck!

sa1937 Community Regular

Hello,

I have not been officially diagnosed with Celiac. However, my blood tests always come back not statistically significant. In addition, I have a family member who has been diagnosed. I have two family friends who are nurses and I have about 90 percent of the symtoms. I have decided to be proactive and give the gluten free diet a try. I am lost as where to start. If anyone has any ideas of what for me to look for in purchasing food or where to go I would be happy for the suggestions. Thanks so much for your help.

JAS

Welcome, JAS! I don't know if there is a support group in Frederick but I have heard there is one in Gettysburg, PA, which isn't far from you (don't know how active they are). You might want to call MOM's in Frederick (they're on Buckeystown Pike). I know my doctor's wife shops there and they would probably be knowledgeable as to support groups in the area.

I agree with others that a whole foods diet is the way to go when you first go a gluten-free and to stay away from a lot of processed foods in your diet.

Archived