43 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Anyone have thoes few things that you can't resist? My dh brought dunkin donuts munchkins for the kids. When no one was looking I ate like 5. them after dinner no one was around and I found nutter butter cookies stashed. I had 8 :-(. Now I'm having gi symptoms as well as neurological. And sleep- forget it. It was so not worth it in retrospect, but at the time it tasted so good.

Anyone have thoes things you can't resist, no matter how sick they make you?
Gluten free since 10/1/10
3 year old gluten free since 10/16/10
Diagnosed with IBS in 2000
Appeared on the Dr.Phil Show 9/23/10
started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance
Labs drawn on 10/16/10 waiting on results
10 pounds and 15 inches off so far!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

So far, no.

My rash (or lack of it now) keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I can understand the desire to indulge now and then if you can't see or feel the damage...human nature I guess.

My skin rash and neuro symptoms are so severe I'm just not tempted.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

I don't have the slightest inclination to make myself deathly ill by eating something for which I know I'll pay a severe price.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 GlutenDude

GlutenDude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

We must have different diseases. I have celiac disease. If I eat 5 munchkins, I am out of commission for months and am doing severe damage to my body. Heck, if I eat one munchkin, I'm in serious trouble. What is possibly worth that?

#5 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

So far I haven't (only been diagnosed since august) but I have had my first gluten dream-I ate a big fat dinner roll! But seriously, I made myself so sick the last few weeks before my biopsy that I can still remember and avoid (purposely)glutening myself. Also I know what I crave-brownies- and it is almost the only "gluten free" product I make sure I have on hand for just such emergencies! I heard kinni(sp?) makes a couple good gluten-free donuts, they are frozen so maybe you can keep an emergency stash available at all times too!
"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#6 rainer83

rainer83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

I used to indulge once in a while, because I could eat cereal all day every day, and I'd eat a bowl of Mini Wheats or Special K Vanilla Almond, or even Golden Grahams, but the pain was too much to deal with eventually that I gave it all up 100%. Now, I'm not even tempted anymore. I remember the pain and it's enough of a reminder to stay away.

Except for when I have dreams I eat things I can't. My subconscious can be so cruel.

If it weren't for gluten free Chex cereal coming to Canada, I'd still be going bonkers.
Diagnosed by a Naturopath by an elimination diet, gluten free 2 years, finally able to live again after years of suffering.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Although I did not get sick from eating gluten before my celiac diagnosis, I still refused to touch it (and still do) and always will. So, no, I have never done this because if I did and did not get sick I may find myself slacking a bit. Not only that but I need my villi to be strong and healthy. Plus the thought of potential future problems keeps me on a straight path.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hell no. I lost my career due to celiac and my personal life has suffered greatly, too, not even considering the terrible reactions I have to cc. When I look at known gluten culprits, all I see is poison and suffering and loss.

I grew up on dunkin donuts, and their taste isn't worth what I've lost.

Hope you feel better soon.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#9 espresso261

espresso261

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

I've been gluten free for about 6 weeks... prior to this, I would get a starbucks java chip light frap about 5 times a week. It was my one guilty pleasure. i travel for work (no office, so i would go to starbucks to get my work done and didn't mind working extra hours because i could have my treat). i have driven 45 minutes out of my way on more than one occasion to get it. i've had 2 in one day before. they never made me sick. i've never been a smoker, but i think my addiction to them/pleasure they provided! has to be similar to omeone addicted to cigarettes. i haven't had any since i was diagnosed and today i really, really, really wanted one. i'm afraid if i have one and don't get sick, i'll start to make exceptions (knowing that internal damage is occuring, but not feeling any symptoms). why can't starbucks make this drink gluten free? it can't be that hard :(

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

I've been gluten free for about 6 weeks... prior to this, I would get a starbucks java chip light frap about 5 times a week. It was my one guilty pleasure. i travel for work (no office, so i would go to starbucks to get my work done and didn't mind working extra hours because i could have my treat). i have driven 45 minutes out of my way on more than one occasion to get it. i've had 2 in one day before. they never made me Ihaven't had any since i was diagnosed and today i really, really, really wanted one. i'm afraid if i have one and don't get sick, i'll start to make exceptions (knowing that internal damage is occuring, but not feeling any symptoms). why can't starbucks make this drink gluten free? it can't be that hard :(

I saw something saying that Starbucks was going to a light Frap mix that was gluten-free. I cannot find where I saw this. I didn't repost because I think it was a response to someone elses inquiry so I can't verify. Maybe you would like to email Starbucks. In the US, they don't want to say anything is gluten free but they seemed to say it had no gluten ingredients.

Edited to add: post a copy of the response, please.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 annegirl

annegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

OMG. I'm still sick almost 4 weeks later from a tiny crumb of crouton in my salad. I really hope your symptoms don't last long! That was some serious glutening!

I would definitely find a guilty pleasure that is gluten free for emergencies next time! :) There are some awesome donut recipes out there that are gluten-free.
Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Corn, Coffee, Caffeine, Pork Freeeeeee

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

#12 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

I've been back on gluten for 5 weeks now and get my scope and biopsy two weeks today. I can't wait to go back gluten free and re-start the healing process. The fatigue, joint aches,bloating, gas, anxiety,stomach and bowel issues and the concern about long term damage - once I've had my scope you couldn't pay me to eat gluten!

#13 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

No desire to cheet. I would be so sick and couldn't function.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#14 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

I get different symptoms every Tim I consume or cc. This time from all that I have horrible constipation, increase of mucus(sinus issues) sleep problems, bloating and gas. I am seeing flashers in my line of vision. Yesterday I had a horrible burning/ gnawing at the top of my stomach and really bad reflux also.

I was cc on sat night at a restaurant and I lost feeling in my toes.

How come I react differently everytime I consume gluten?

I didn't get really sick this time.
Gluten free since 10/1/10
3 year old gluten free since 10/16/10
Diagnosed with IBS in 2000
Appeared on the Dr.Phil Show 9/23/10
started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance
Labs drawn on 10/16/10 waiting on results
10 pounds and 15 inches off so far!

#15 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

nope, I can't say that there is anything on this entire planet that I would just have to eat, and then suffer the agonizing pain for days or weeks afterward. Nope Nope Nope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: