This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Child Back In Hospital

Mommy2GlutenFreeChild

kareng Grand Master

OMG!

All I could think of while you were describing the nose tube thing is, why don't they use laughing gas like the children's dentist does? Its very safe, cheap, relaxes them. Especially at 5 am. Just let him keep sleeping. If there is a next time for any of us.

I do know several adults and kids where they can have a light case of pneumonia, maybe not realize it, & it suddenly gets worse.

Glad he is better!

I have seen some real cases of Von M's. Pneumonia or TB are not things they usually have or can fake. Though I saw one where the kid had a severe allergic asthma to mold & cats(?). The mom had cats sleep on his bed & exposed him to mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mommida Enthusiast

OMG!! :huh:

The torture your son, husband and you have gone through! On top of the lose your mind worry, someone dared to say crap about your parenting!!!?

Sending you warm wishes for speedy healing! :) Big cyber ((HUGS))

I do know in some highly contagious cases they will run multiple tests to prove the dianoses and identify the exact baterium.

(When I had meningitus, they drew blood from all of my limbs to have a clean, seperate sample.)

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Wow I'm just coming to this thread today and I couldn't stop reading your story. I was on the edge of my seat. I am so sorry you and your family went through all of that!

Whoever called Child Services on you is just a despicable human being. That is just sick to do that to a sick child and his suffering parents.

I hope everything gets better from here on out.

I homeschool my kids and I hadn't even thought of all the issues you deal with having a celiac kid in school. My son did have a kid mess with his food after a baseball game but we were standing right there and I told the kid off.

We use playdough at home but we wash like crazy afterwards. I need to look for gluten free playdough or find out how to make it so we don't have to be so careful with it.

I was a teacher before I was diagnosed and I can see after reading this thread how so many things could be an issue.

Di2011 Enthusiast

I know it seems like you have been victimised but the reality is that Child Services exists to keep kids safe. In your case it is obviously a mistake but PLEASE keep in mind that these people keep abused children from being further treated so. Like gluten intolerance, child abuse is an imperfect science.

luvs2eat Collaborator

Wow... I've just come upon this thread too and all I want to do is give you and your boy and your husband a huge hug. What an amazingly messed up ordeal you've been through... and you must be absolutely terrified. I sure would be. Your composure and willingness/need to follow up w/ his school, cafeteria, art room are so admirable to me, especially given all the other stuff you're worried about/seeking answers for.

I don't have any other advice aside from what others have said. I just wanted you to know that I'm pulling for you and your son and have the utmost admiration for you and your boy is lucky to have such a persistent and interested mom.

(((((huge hugs))))

Mommy2GlutenFreeChild Rookie

He turned 6 in October

What an ordeal! I know this will sound crazy but has he been tested for pertussis? It is going around this year, even among vaccinated folks. Both my kids got it last year very badly despite having been vaccinated.

Mommy2GlutenFreeChild Rookie

You are right and I am glad they are there to help people. I am not so mad at Children Services because by law if a report is made by someone against a person they are legally required to look into it. I have been more mad at the person who made the bogus report to begin with, but regardless of any of the CS stuff, I am far more mad at what my son has been through with all of it the last month. But things have calmed down. We had a nice Thanksgiving, he's better and he goes back to school on Monday. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. We are coming up on the 2 year "anniversarry" of his diganosis in Jan and it is just amazing to me how much we still have to learn about it.

I know it seems like you have been victimised but the reality is that Child Services exists to keep kids safe. In your case it is obviously a mistake but PLEASE keep in mind that these people keep abused children from being further treated so. Like gluten intolerance, child abuse is an imperfect science.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived