30 replies to this topic

#16 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I agree about low key. Looking back at their visit I heard myself say " yep. Eating my gluten free waffles. " or " mmm this gluten free toast is great". Always drawing attention to it. Part of me just didn't want them to think I was eating regular waffles or toast while I made them pancakes etc
Gluten free since 10/1/10
3 year old gluten free since 10/16/10
Diagnosed with IBS in 2000
Appeared on the Dr.Phil Show 9/23/10
started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance
Labs drawn on 10/16/10 waiting on results
10 pounds and 15 inches off so far!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

I agree about low key. Looking back at their visit I heard myself say " yep. Eating my gluten free waffles. " or " mmm this gluten free toast is great". Always drawing attention to it. Part of me just didn't want them to think I was eating regular waffles or toast while I made them pancakes etc

Are you making pancakes with regular flour in your kitchen??? I wouldn't even consider it. Wheat flour does not cross the threshold. Period.

I know that feeling about wanting to demonstrate that you're strict on the diet around family. With me, it's wanting them to understand that they can't just feed me anything or drag me to random restaurants.

#18 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:44 AM

Are you making pancakes with regular flour in your kitchen??? I wouldn't even consider it. Wheat flour does not cross the threshold. Period.

I know that feeling about wanting to demonstrate that you're strict on the diet around family. With me, it's wanting them to understand that they can't just feed me anything or drag me to random restaurants.

I agree, next time they come to visit you could make pancakes with gluten-free bisquick. They are actually quite good and taste like normal pancakes.

#19 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Me either. If I am cooking for guests in my house it is all gluten free period! (Hubby does still eat bread and cereal and will allow parents to eat bread if extremely careful). But as far as flour is concerned it was banned from the house three years ago! I made buckwheat waffles for everyone last week and my parents loved them. I also use the gluten free bisquick mix and it is always a hit.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#20 Michelle1906

Michelle1906

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

I feel the exact same way. Its like everyone thinks I'm making this up. I dont want this for myself. This is not something I woke up one day and decided....'ahh I think I'll pretend I feel like crap every single day and be crabby'

#21 kitgordon

kitgordon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

I don't cook gluten food, either. If I can't eat it, I don't see any reason I should cook it. I make lots of perfectly edible and delicious food, and if someone wants gluten food instead they can darn well make it themselves - and NOT with wheat flour in my house. Skylark is right; the stuff gets into everything!

I agree with Michelle, too - WHY do folks think ANYONE would pretend to feel sick as a dog just to avoid eating all the foods they love?! It makes no sense!

#22 jsvera

jsvera

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Sometimes you have to self diagnose. I am a nurse and I couldn't agree more about not just nurses but the medical field in general. I felt the same skepticism when a nurse I worked with told me about her celiac disease and cross contamination, etc. I didn't show it but I thought she was just a little off her rocker. What an ironic coincindence now that I was forced to let her educate me. My mom had been sick for about ten years with severe "IBS" Had the usual upper GI colonoscopy (but no biopsy) xrays, CT scans. Always the same conclusion....IBS Then lactose intolerant. As a last resort her MD told her to try a gluten free diet but in the same appointment told her to take fibercon daily. In support of her I decided to get educated and did a lot of studying and reading and came to the conclusion that the majority of my family are gluten intolerant. I was surprised to see the swelling in my mom's legs just disappear. I thought, WTH, I will give it a try. I lost a pound a day for 14 days as the fluid in my legs also disappeared. I've been gluten free since January and feel amazing. I have had no testing other than elimination diet. But that alone is completely convincing to me. My husband says with some sarcasm that I have "jumped on the bandwagon". It hurts my feelings and I wish I had his support but I will continue to do what I need to do to take care of myself. I wish I could get my sibs to do a serious three month gluten free trial.

#23 jsvera

jsvera

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I rarely told anyone how bad I felt. I thought my 'IBS' symptoms were just part of life so I didn't really talk about it. I thought it was perfectly normal after breakfast at IHOP to spend the rest of the morning in the bathroom. Now here I sit with the old cramping and gurglin I have been happy to be without since going gluten free. There were just way too many chances for me to ingest gluten with the Thanksgiving meal. I made gluten free bread but there were also regular rolls. I made gluten free pie but there were also regular pies. I tasted some pickled veggies only to be told they had "just a tiny bit" of flour in them. A simpler, healthier meal would have been so much more enjoyable all the way around and I wouldn't be sitting here suffering silently so as not to be ridiculed. Next holiday I'm doing it my way. Do you have to hit your thumb with the hammer to know that it hurts?

#24 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

I just had my gallbladder out this week. Your relative should do the research--gallstones are often caused by undiagnosed celiac. Mine was too far gone to save it, but I'm sure others could save theirs by going gluten-free. Stick to your guns and don't eat gluten. Don't let your relative push you around. I've had the constipation and anxiety etc. Life's too short to eat food that makes you feel like crap every day.

Wow! Really? I didn't know this and it makes sense. I keep telling myself that my family is being effected by gluten and they are not even aware.....gallbladder surgery has been very popular in my family. Thanks for sharing that.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#25 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

I think sometimes we have to avoid talking certain subjects with certain people. We are all entitled to our opinions and some are more free to express their thoughts with regard as to how it will be received by others. However, we have to do what is best for us no matter what someone else feels is right. You are the one doing what is best for you and the baby.....if they only realized how much harm gluten could be doing to their own bodies maybe then they would have to eat their own words. Times like these we have to be the strong one and strap on that imaginary deflective guard and dodge the darts they throw. Sorry you had to deal with that.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#26 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

While my youngest daughter tested (by endoscopy) positive for celiac, her symptoms were so extreme they began testing her for things like interstitial cystitis and refractory celiac. Those tests were negative, so her extreme symptoms were simply ignored and she found doctors and nurses almost hostile to her pleas for answers and help. She tells me she learned a really good lesson in all that. She's been able to find her own answers (like avoiding all dairy and citrus and slowly bringing very low oxylate veggies back into her diet) and her gut is slowly healing.

It doesn't matter if everyone else thinks you're nuts. If YOU feel better eating gluten free... tell them to go suck an egg.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

No one can make your feel inferior or belittled without your consent. Stop giving them your consent. ;)

Everyone that posted has given you excellent advice, but there is one more thing I would add. If you get tired enough of all this bullying and "know it all " BS that is WRONG, just smile and say...."Mind your own business. I'm good, thanks!"

For starters, taking daily doses of laxatives of stool softeners actually prevents your colon from doing the job it is designed to do! Drinking lots of WATER will irrigate you and keep you moving smoothly.

Take probiotics.
Stay off gluten.
Your bowel issues, etc. will likely clear up.

Their idea of "helping" you is just symptom treating. IBS is a collection of symptoms, not a diagnosis or a resolution of symptoms. I was told I had that for 12 years and given drugs to help. They did NOT. Things just got worse until I was very, very ill with celiac.

And I would say to those who say you are "making things up" ---ask this:

"Why on earth would I make this up? What would be my motive?"

See what they say to that ;) .

You're in charge of your own health, hon. Listen to your own voice and do what helps you and your child feel best! Listening to the medical "know-it-alls" for most of my life nearly killed me.

Best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Wow! Really? I didn't know this and it makes sense. I keep telling myself that my family is being effected by gluten and they are not even aware.....gallbladder surgery has been very popular in my family. Thanks for sharing that.

Gall bladder disease was one of the first real problems I had. Even removal of that 27 years ago did not resolve things. It just got worse....No ONE in my family still has a gall bladder--not my Mom, sister, aunts, niece, or several cousins---all gone. Coincidence? Hardly.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#29 chai

chai

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

I was first diagnosed with gluten, dairy and animal protein intolerance when I was 1 (i think) when I lived with my mother. When I went to live with my dad when I was 5 i was allowed to eat everything I couldn't. My diet stayed like that until i was 17 when I spent over 1 year sick with lymph node swelling and other unpleasant stuff. I was diagnosed 3 years ago but people in my family still don't believe it. They think it was a childhood allergy and I respond by reminding them of all the behavioral and physical problems I had.

Last year on my birthday, which is near christmas, I had a shouting match with my brother who did came out and said that I had made up my allergy. I took a bus home that very night (to my apt in university) and spent my birthday and chrismas alone. it was miserable but I figured that i would rather be alone then to be with someone who doesn't notice how much better I was.

I think you glutenfreemamax2 should do something similar. Stand up to the people who can't see how happy and healthy you are when you get rid of gluten. I still have problems with people in my family but by brother believes me now, and i think its because i stood up him.

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

I was first diagnosed with gluten, dairy and animal protein intolerance when I was 1 (i think) when I lived with my mother. When I went to live with my dad when I was 5 i was allowed to eat everything I couldn't. My diet stayed like that until i was 17 when I spent over 1 year sick with lymph node swelling and other unpleasant stuff. I was diagnosed 3 years ago but people in my family still don't believe it. They think it was a childhood allergy and I respond by reminding them of all the behavioral and physical problems I had.

Last year on my birthday, which is near christmas, I had a shouting match with my brother who did came out and said that I had made up my allergy. I took a bus home that very night (to my apt in university) and spent my birthday and chrismas alone. it was miserable but I figured that i would rather be alone then to be with someone who doesn't notice how much better I was.

I think you glutenfreemamax2 should do something similar. Stand up to the people who can't see how happy and healthy you are when you get rid of gluten. I still have problems with people in my family but by brother believes me now, and i think its because i stood up him.

Good for you!! ;) I will never understand the people who think anyone would "make up" being ill. How do you "make up" weight loss, lost muscle mass, diarrhea, hair loss, anemia?? :blink:

It is good you are gluten-free now and thriving well! Many older people on this board were told as children that "they would outgrow it" --- and they have suffered all their lives as a result.

You are one wise kiddo! Never let anyone treat you with disrespect. I had a few people desert me when I became seriously ill. They did not stick by me when things got bad and now that I am recovering, they are "coming around"...not sure I trust that kind of "loyalty". :rolleyes:

Stay well! ;) & Happy upcoming Birthday!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: