15 replies to this topic

#1 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

My 3 y.o. son is super sensitive to texture and refuses all meat except hotdogs. I want to try again to introduce him to meat and was thinking that I might have the greatest success with ground beef. Are there any gluten-free frozen meatballs out there? I was thinking frozen because the texture is softer and fairly uniform, and I'm pretty sure that's why he will tolerate hotdogs.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Meatballs are easy to make and freeze well. Try making your own.

I don't know of any gluten-free ones, frozen and premade.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

I learned that gyros are gluten-free on this site, and the meat is quite easy to make at home. It's not to difficult to make your own gluten-free meatballs (or loaf). Stick a piece of gluten-free bread in your mini food processor for 30-40 seconds, add meat of your choice (if you wanted to make it fish cakes, add safe tuna or salmon, or left over fish.)

Add 1 cup bread crumbs to a pound of meat, mix in chopped or minced onion (I like onion, I'd do a whole chopped onion), 1 egg. If you're going Italian, add a tsp. of oregeno. If you're going Indian, add 1/4 tsp. tumeric. You can vary by taste.

Form into balls or patties or loaf and cook until done. I like grape seed oil or avacado oil when I saute the fish cakes.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

Old post, buried deep in another unrelated topic.

For all of you that have been anxiously waiting, here is the answer to your questions about my balls.

Gluten Free Meatballs

The main recipe for meatballs calls for bread crumbs. We make these from Glutino Fiber Bread, but other gluten-free breads should work equally well. It is best for this purpose when it has been defrosted for at least a day, or that fresh bread is at least a day old. Tear it into pieces and then use the pulse setting on a blender or food processor until the desired consistency is achieved. Unused crumbs can be placed in a sealed container and stored in the freezer. If measuring frozen crumbs for a recipe, allow extra. We find 1 1/4 cups of frozen defrosts to about 1 cup.

Hmm, maybe this should be a secret recipe. It has eleven four different herbs and spices. :lol:

Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
15x10 inch pan, lightly greased (or use PAM)
Makes about 45-50 meatballs.

1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef (750g)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (see above) (250 ml)
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes (15 ml)
1 tbsp dried basil (15 ml)
1 tbsp dried oregano (15 ml)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1 ml)

You can use fresh instead of dried herbs by doubling the measure, that is, 2 tbsp or 30 ml.

In a large bowl, gently mix together beef, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, oregano and ground pepper. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place in single layer on prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.

To Freeze: Cool slightly then freeze baked meatballs on the jelly roll pan. Once frozen, remove from the pan and place in a heavy-duty freezer bag. They won't stick together. Remove as needed and add directly to sauce, or microwave until just thawed before adding to sauce.

The picture was taken while cooling after baking and before freezing.

Bon appetit.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

I will probably have to make my own. Not opposed to it, was only thinking about frozen b/c I can't explain it but frozen meatballs have a different texture than homemade. More consistent, sometimes softer. My son is autistic and getting him to try new things can be a challenge. I want to maximize my chance of success here b/c him eliminating an entire food group makes meal planning a real challenge. I was also thinking that maybe if I use a fattier ground beef it might be softer. If I can get him open to meat, I can healthy it up later.

Thanks for all your responses!

#6 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

If you live near a Costco Warehouse they have gluten-free meatballs, patties, & sausages that are gluten-free.. Sorry I don't have any at present & I can't remember the name on the pkg...I think they are chicken meatballs. They are very good.. I also make my own beef ones & freeze them...

#7 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

This company is the one one of the other posters was talking about I think. Their products can be found in the refrigerated section of many grocery stores with the hot dogs etc. http://www.aidells.com/allergen
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#8 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

I will probably have to make my own. Not opposed to it, was only thinking about frozen b/c I can't explain it but frozen meatballs have a different texture than homemade. More consistent, sometimes softer. My son is autistic and getting him to try new things can be a challenge. I want to maximize my chance of success here b/c him eliminating an entire food group makes meal planning a real challenge. I was also thinking that maybe if I use a fattier ground beef it might be softer. If I can get him open to meat, I can healthy it up later.

Thanks for all your responses!

All you have to do is grind the meat finer! In fact, I buy meat and then grind it in the food prosesser with all the extra's! Works great!
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

#9 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

OK, sorry to keep asking all these questions about meatballs! Hopeless cook question ... to do the bread crumbs, I am going to do what I usually do - use Udi's bread heels and put them in the blender. For a pound of ground beef, how many pieces of bread (or how many cups of bread crumbs) do I use? How long do I bake them? They won't have sauce b/c his highness won't eat it if that matters.

How I got to be 40 years old and never made meatballs I will never know ...

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

To adjust the batch size of the recipe I shared above, most ingredients get adjusted proportionately.

Using 1 lb instead of 1.5 lbs of beef:
2/3 cup of bread crumbs
2 tsp instead of 1 Tbsp of each herb
I wouldn't change the pepper or the egg.
Cooking time is the same regardless of the batch size.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

The meatballs my son likes are not gluten-free. Ok for him, not for me. They say they are made with beef, pork & Romano cheese. I might try Peter's recipe with some ground turkey Italian sausage , beef, Romano for part of the bread crumbs & some gluten-free bread crumbs.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#12 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

To adjust the batch size of the recipe I shared above, most ingredients get adjusted proportionately.

Using 1 lb instead of 1.5 lbs of beef:
2/3 cup of bread crumbs
2 tsp instead of 1 Tbsp of each herb
I wouldn't change the pepper or the egg.
Cooking time is the same regardless of the batch size.

Thanks, Peter!

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Ok, hubby is a meatball pro:

First, for SOFT meatballs try ground veal.

Hubs Recipe:

1 lb. Ground beef
2 eggs
Dried parsley
Salt
Pepper
Grated Parmesan - LOTS OF CHEESE
Italian breadcrumbs if you want, but not necessary (make your own)

Hubs fries them in a skillet, he doesn't bake them. Usually fried in sausage drippings....but any oil will do.

I swear it's technique that gives the texture and softness...and he makes bigger meatballs - palm of the hand size not small ones.

We fry them and place them in pasta sauce to cook for about 30 minutes at the end of the sauce cooking time.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#14 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

I find that adding a little water to the meatballs as I mix them can make them softer when cooked. Part of the reason to include bread crumbs is to absorb moisture. I like mine fried and crunchy on the outside, but if his highness likes soft meat then I recommend cooking them in a crockpot or in a pot in the oven. They will get crunchy on the outside even with these methods if cooked too long, but you can check occasionally to see if the centers are cooked through and stop them before they get dry on the outside. Another option is to make a meatloaf with the same mixture, because once you cut away the outside of it, all of the inside will be soft, as opposed to meatballs, each of which have an outside dry/crisp layer. Very small meatballs can also be cooked in broth or soup - just drop them in raw. That will keep them tender. And you can use any kind of ground meat, even chopping it yourself in the food processor.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#15 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Costco carries Aidells, Coleman's and AmyLu - some are gluten-free some not depending on flavor but the labels are usually clear. They are all precooked and yummy.

During the holidays last year, AmyLu had some turkey, cranberry and jalepeno meatballs that were to die for, especially cooked with a sauce of jellied cranberries and chili sauce. Great in the crockpot for potlucks. Yum! I hope they have them again this year....I'm going to buy 20 packages!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: