Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Don't Animals Have Traces Of Gluten In Them?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Beef, meat, pork, chicken, etc. They all eat wheat so wouldn't they still have traces of gluten when you purchase the food?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CR5442

CR5442

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

Apparently they don't but as a lot of meat has protein added to it in order to give it water weight in packaging, I am not entirely sure! I certainly react to some chicken breasts I buy sometimes. The last ones were skinless and deboned, so it really makes you wonder what is added! Usually if I buy meat on the bone I don't react at all.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:58 AM

George- You said you eat alot of refried beans. If I cut you open, would I find refried beans? No of course not. Your body processes it & turns it to hair, muscle, fat, etc. Same with animals if they are fed wheat. Also, the animals have different digestive systems than we do. for example, a cow is able to process large amounts of grass. If humans ate more than a mouthfull or two, we would be messed up. We can't digest it.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

only if you're eating the contents of their stomachs!

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

Beef, meat, pork, chicken, etc. They all eat wheat so wouldn't they still have traces of gluten when you purchase the food?

Gluten is too large of a molecule to make it into the bloodstream and contaminate the muscle, which is what we eat. There was actually a study done on milk, and even if the cow is fed 100% grain, no gluten goes into the milk because the cud-chewing breaks it down. The stomach and intestines are removed during slaughter because the intestinal contents would make the meat unsafe so there isn't concern about undigested food.

Caroline, plumping solution must declare wheat if you're in the US or Canada. It's usually water with sodium phosphate anyway, not protein. Protein would be expensive and they're trying to save money by adding water to the meat.

#6 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Gluten is too large of a molecule to make it into the bloodstream and contaminate the muscle, which is what we eat. There was actually a study done on milk, and even if the cow is fed 100% grain, no gluten goes into the milk because the cud-chewing breaks it down. The stomach and intestines are removed during slaughter because the intestinal contents would make the meat unsafe so there isn't concern about undigested food.

Caroline, plumping solution must declare wheat if you're in the US or Canada. It's usually water with sodium phosphate anyway, not protein. Protein would be expensive and they're trying to save money by adding water to the meat.

Hi Skylark, here in Europe there are plants that use protein. There was a big hoo haa about it! They use a mixture usually and probably some sort of adherence agent. I have looked for ingredients on the packaging but they aren't required here from what I gather. Needless to say I keep well away from boneless meat.

#7 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

There was actually a study done on milk, and even if the cow is fed 100% grain, no gluten goes into the milk because the cud-chewing breaks it down.

Oooh, do you have the title of that study, by any chance? I've been looking for one like that! Found one on human breastmilk and gluten, but never could find one on dairy! :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

Here you go. I put them in this post a while back.

http://www.celiac.co...post__p__658307

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: