Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Why Am I So Tired After Eating?

10 posts in this topic

The past few days I've been exhausted after a meal. I've been mostly gluten-free for about 3wks now (though I know I've been glutened a few times). Yesterday I was exhausted immediately after breakfast which was an Udi bagel w/ laughing cow cheese and coffee w/ soy creamer and then again immediately following dinner which was beef chili and baked potato w/ non-dairy butter and sour cream. This afternoon I was exhausted immediately after lunch which was Udi grain bagel with tuna salad (gluten-free mayo), and green grapes.

I feel the fatigue behind my eyes like I just want to put my head down. My body doesn't feel fatigued and I wouldn't classify it as foggy brain because I can think clearly, but the exhaustion feels limited to/centered in my head if that makes sense.

I take a daily multivitamin. Any thoughts as to why this is creeping in after 3wks gluten-free?

Ads by Google:

This might be unrelated but why are you switching back and forth between dairy and non-dairy products? Do you have a problem with dairy products? Cheese, sour cream, and mayo all contain dairy.

This might be unrelated but why are you switching back and forth between dairy and non-dairy products? Do you have a problem with dairy products? Cheese, sour cream, and mayo all contain dairy.

I don't believe I have a dairy issue. I just happen to like soy creamer :)

I was that way before I went gluten free. I had terrible insomnia most nights, but I'd finally just get up and start my day at one AM. After a while I would get hungry and eat an english muffin. About fifteen minutes later, I couldn't keep my eyes open and I would go take a nap.

I even tried eating before bed and yes, I could get to sleep! Unfortunately, I'd wake up two hours later and be wide awake for hours.

I DO remember that when I first went gluten free I was eating a lot of fruit, and that made me really tired. My sugar was spiking, then dropping. Maybe the Udi's carbs are causing it. Try staying away from sugars and carbs for a few days and see if there's any improvement. Then, after you've been on the diet for a while, you can start adding them back in.

Ok, I may need to take back what I posted earlier. I think maybe I do have a lactose issue...either primary or 2ndary to the gluten. After work I had a glass of skim milk and some Pirate Booty and w/in 15-20min I was uncomfortably bloated and visibly distended...which has been my main symptom I've been trying to solve for about a 1yr. I've had small amounts of dairy here and there, hard cheese, low fat ice cream, creamer, that haven't seemed to affect me. But maybe the small amounts are causing the exhaustion and the straight dairy causing the bloating?

Now I'm thinking I need to go gluten-free and DF and then trial adding gluten back in and see if it's gluten and dairy or just dairy or what. AAAHHHH so confusing!

Be careful on your servings. If I eat too much, I get blindsided by exhaustion. Otherwise, it could be that your body is working double overtime as it begins to heal so it saps the energy a bit. Hang in there.

For me too much starch will do it. I'll sometimes have an overwhelming need for a nap after eating a bunch of white rice. Gluten-free baked goods like Udi's are quite a bit starchier than wheat so you may have shifted your diet to too much starch. White potatoes are also terrible for blood sugar if you tend towards hypoglycemia.

You can see if it's blood sugar by limiting high glycemic index foods like potato starch and rice flour for a few days. Have only small servings of starchy foods and fruits, more protein, and lots of veggies. For breakfast, have an egg for protein and only half the bagel for example. Have your chili but fill up on salad and only have a little potato. Choose lower glycemic foods like brown rice over white, sweet potatoes over white, and so forth.

I also wonder about soy sensitivity.

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. This morning I had an Udi's bagel with PB and J and coffee w/ soy creamer and didn't experience the exhaustion but did feel bloated and uncomfortable following. Can't figure out why as I haven't had the bloating after Udi's or PB before. All of this trial and error of what causes what is so frustrating. Could I just be still recovering from yesterday and reacting to everything?

it all is rather high in carbohydrates, with not a lot of protein, and very little fat. Your body NEEDS fat and proteins in order to function properly. Try getting rid of about half the refined and starchy carbs, and replace with healthy fats and proteins, and full fat cheeses rather than low fat.

I tried the lactose again just to see what would happen. Yesterday I had a glass of milk on an empty stomach and w/in 20mins a wave of exhaustion hit me and my stomach ballooned. Then I felt fine about 1-2hrs later.

Now I need to figure out if I have a gluten and lactose issue or just a lactose issue.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• What Are Your Brands & Flavors Of Gluten Free Ice Cream ?
      I don't worry about the same facility, but I check if it is on the same lines. I think it is usually a good idea to find out if things are made on shared lines. And if they are made on the same line as gluten-containing products how good is the cleaning in between? Chocolate is a good example of this. For example, I contacted a company whose chocolate I used to eat before being diagnosed and they outright told me they are not good about cleaning on shared lines and it is not safe for allergies or celiac. I have had this response from other companies as well (especially when it comes to chocolate sadly). I think this is why Godiva is not safe. Its just a good idea to check.
    • TRUSTING OTHERS about GLUTEN! how do you know if someone has used gluten free flour?
      Wow you all have more balls than I do. I've been gluten free since 2007 and I'm still afraid of offending people. It gives me lots of troubles, really. I'm more like rockstarkate I guess...the "people pleasing" aspect.  I love how you all just have the flat out rule I Will Not Eat It Unless I or a Celiac Made it. (Or a trusted family member).  I still simper and grovel and cringe and apologetically turn things away.  People still put dishes in my face and say "This should be gluten free..."  and I have to awkwardly not eat it and then seem rude.  I've done the whole...checking the bottles thing too.  I do try to dart out of things more though now. I volunteered in other countries in recent years and I felt as vulnerable as all heck, having to rely on them to make food, as well as definitely feeling like I offended people who didn't get it at all. I was feeling brave when I signed up for those but after the second time I was like okay, the fear/anxiety/stress about the food is too much. I managed to dodge out of getting sick, and for the most part people humored me...but it was pretty difficult because I don't like offending people, especially other cultures, with them trying to be nice and make food for me...pretty sure I did offend people as well as annoy many others.  Anyway...no OP, you are not alone. For sure I have trust issues eating other people's food. They say they know but I do truly doubt they are as strict as I would be.   A few times I will still brave eating something...like some little mozzarella balls with vinegar...though, I did still look at the labels.  Someone had to give me a persuasive speech and show me all ingredients (just salt and pepper) after making me chicken wings once. I do tell people, basically, NOT to make me stuff. But they still do.  Another time a friend had worked really hard and was having a terrible time and offered me a burger patty when I arrived, assuring me it was gluten free. I knew I hadn't been there to watch whether she used the "bun spatula" on it or not...but I just didn't feel like giving her a fight about it since she was having a rough time and hosts like to feel they are feeding guests, blah blah. So I ate it. And got glutened. And wailed and gnashed my teeth haha. Lesson learned.  I need to stick to my guns more. I just always feel like I'm being too "difficult" as it is. But...sigh.  It is refreshing for me to read these empowered no BS responses though. You all remind me of where I'm coming from, and not that I'm just being some kind of high maintenance, rude, crazy person. You'd think after, what, nine years now, I wouldn't still be bothered by it...
    • Mashed potato soup during healing
      I was on pretty much a liquid diet for 8 months waiting for my nausea to go away completely. I mostly had mashed potato soup, 1/2 fat ice cream (mostly whey, not milk), chocolate drink (no added milk) and gummy vitamins. The soup tasted yummy and I'm still alive so I figured I'd share it for people not feeling well in the beginning. I've been noticing people with alot of trouble keeping food down in recent posts. I couldn't have milk or eggs, but the cheese in the recipe didn't bother me at all. Notice the lack of spices. Makes it easy on the stomach.   Mashed potato soup: Boiled yukon gold potatoes (5lb bag) 1 package cauliflower, steamed 4-6 slices of Land O'Lakes white American cheese 4 tablespoons butter salt 16 cups homemade chicken broth, salted   Chop steamed cauliflower into teensy bits (pureed is better). Put in mixer with butter, cheese and a potato or two. Blend while slowly adding potatoes. Keep whipping for a few minutes to insure the cauliflower and potatoes are not lumpy at all. Salt to taste.   Combine 1/2 cup mashed potatoes to 1 cup salted chicken broth. Mix with spoon until mashed potatoes have completely dissolved. Enjoy. Individual servings can be frozen.   Homemade chicken broth: makes 8 - 10 cups of broth   1 organic chicken (regular chickens are too big) 1 stalk celery 1 carrot 1 large bay leaf 1/2 package fresh thyme from the  herb section of the vegetables area   Put all ingredients in pressure cooker along with 1.5 liters water. Bring to pressure. Cook for 35 minutes. Separate broth from solids. Separate broth from fat. Add ridiculous quantities of salt until it tastes like soup. Sorry I use a salt grinder so I don't have precise salt quantities.    
    • I have kidney stones...spent last night at the ER
      Hey ArtG, I saw the urologist today...unfortunately for me they can still see my stones on an xray.  Sigh.  The largest is 3x6 in my right kidney.  He does not believe I can pass this one on my own.   All of my bloodwork came back fine.  Nothing alarming in the urinalysis either. His recommendations...keep drinking tons of water.  I had 4.2 liters of urine output when I tested.  Add in a fish oil supplement.  Decrease sodium intake.  Limit meat to 10 ounces per day.  Increase dietary calcium.   Work at lowering oxalate consumption...my urinary oxalate was 45.  They want it between 20 and 40.  But he gets people that are over 100 so mine is not all that high. 3 options...1. watch and wait.  Recheck in a few months to see if there is stone growth.  2. Shock wave lithotripsy.  3. Let it come out when it decides to and see what happens. I just don't know.  I hate the idea of being put under as they would do for the shock wave thing.  I've had too many surgeries already.  It scares me to be honest.  I also don't want to deal with another episode.   I don't know what I'll do.  We've got a vacation planned at the end of the month and I just want to go and enjoy that.  Not worry about kidney stones. I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery...it really is always something!
    • celiac disease is psychosomatic
      I know what food products are. Probiotics was a recent example I saw on the news about things labeled gluten free that were not gluten free. So, supplement labels in addition to food labels.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
    • ukuleleerika

Hello! I am new to this Celiac website... Is there anyone out there with Celiac AND extensive food allergies? My allergies include shellfish, dairy, eggs, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, nuts, oranges, red dye, and more I can't think of. I went to the allergist about a year ago to see why I wasn't feeling well, and once everything was eliminated, I still didn't feel well. We did more testing to find out I had celiac as well as allergies to cattle as well as rye grass (I live on a farm basically). This was back in January 2016. I recently had my endoscopy with the gastroenterologist a week ago. I have no idea what to do or what to eat... So fish and potatoes for me!
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ajrosales