8 replies to this topic

#1 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Ok its about Day 4 into going gluten free and I noticed that I had a hard time sleeping since Day 2. I would go to bed at 9pm or 10pm and I'd still be squirming around at 1 or 2am in the morning. I really don't hit my sleeping period until 8am then wake up at 10am. So I've only been getting 2 hours of sleep since Day 2. Is this normal for gluten free dieting? I'm fine with everything else... I feel much better and active compared to when I was eating wheat all the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Ok its about Day 4 into going gluten free and I noticed that I had a hard time sleeping since Day 2. I would go to bed at 9pm or 10pm and I'd still be squirming around at 1 or 2am in the morning. I really don't hit my sleeping period until 8am then wake up at 10am. So I've only been getting 2 hours of sleep since Day 2. Is this normal for gluten free dieting? I'm fine with everything else... I feel much better and active compared to when I was eating wheat all the time.

More than likely you are vitamin deficient. The body has to ahve the correct balance of vitamins or insomnia will result. More than likely it is magnesium that you need but make sure you have enough B12, calcium, d, and iron.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

Can celiacs still get all their vitamins by eating vitamin pills? If so, shouldn't that cause some kind of bad reaction?

I can't eat gluten, wheat, shellfish, and corn. I've been eating all kinds of fruits, veggies, and beans.

#4 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

When I went gluten free I also had trouble sleeping while I was going thru withdraw from the gluten.

Also I would encourage you to have your thyroid checked

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Can celiacs still get all their vitamins by eating vitamin pills? If so, shouldn't that cause some kind of bad reaction?

I can't eat gluten, wheat, shellfish, and corn. I've been eating all kinds of fruits, veggies, and beans.

Have you had your vitamin levels checked?? vitamin D and B levels??

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#6 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

No, but I'm sure its low as I have been avoiding foods that contain them. I usually don't take vitamins, but would they be a better subsitute? Does it have vitamins that contain the same kind from wheat and corn?

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

No, but I'm sure its low as I have been avoiding foods that contain them. I usually don't take vitamins, but would they be a better subsitute? Does it have vitamins that contain the same kind from wheat and corn?

Vitamins are not a substitute for food but many celiac's have vitamin deficiencys that require supplements.
There are vitamin that are wheat and corn free but you need to read the labels very very carefully.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#8 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

So the gluten aren't within the Vitamins/Vitamin Supplements themselves but the actual bread or flour?

#9 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

So the gluten aren't within the Vitamins/Vitamin Supplements themselves but the actual bread or flour?

actually most breads and flours are fortified with vitamins . There are some vitamins that add gluten/wheat as binders and fillers but with careful search you can find gluten free ones. :)

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: