6 replies to this topic

#1 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

I was on Day 5 on my gluten free diet. I also can't eat corn, meat, pork, or beef. I just found out any fish is fine for me. But for the past few days, I've been having trouble constipating which probably explains why I had trouble sleeping the past few days. I've tried some gluten alternatives such as beans, rice, veggies, and banana for my constipation but its not helping.

I was still awake in my bed by 3am and did a small research and found apple cider vinegar to also be a good thing to try for constipation. I took about 3 tablespoons and my stomach felt like it was moving the bowel again. I finally was able to get 4 hours of sleep. I tried it again this morning but it wasn't working. My stomach was hurting pretty bad and I was only able to get out a few small stools. I introduced wheat back to my diet again and there are lots of things (good things I guess) going on in my stomach... just waiting for the big one.

So any idea on how to deal with this constipation without eating wheat again? Maybe eating multivitamins as I'm missing nutrients from wheat? Peptobismal will be my last resort.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

I also do drink lots of water. I've never had this problem before I got on my gluten-free diet.

#3 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

can you eat yogurt (gluten free yogurt, of course. No Activia, as it's very likely cross- contaminated!)? (Or just take a gluten-free probiotic?)

I find that the probiotics in yogurt seem to due wonders for my constipation.

Or try a gluten free fiber supplement

apples-- with the skin on (that's where the fiber is) are also a good source of fiber.

Edited by wheeleezdryver, 15 October 2011 - 01:09 PM.

Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#4 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

one words - enzymes.

Without digestive enzymes supplements I would not be able to function. More reliable than probiotics too, at least ime

#5 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

For me, constipation is what happens when I eat gluten. If I've been glutened, I take magnesium oxide pills and self massage my abdomen area (its supposed to stimulate peristalsis). Even when I'm 100% gluten free I still have some problems and the only thing that keeps me "regular" is about a litre of vegetable smoothie a day.

#6 PT2B

PT2B

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

I find taking a some psyllium husk fiber supplements are helpful when i accident get a gluten attack. I figure fiber will clean my pipes up of gluten. add lots of water. and a cup of coffee bc caffeine helps speed up peristalsis to me at least. I also eat a lot of carrots. I'll have to look into that digestive enzyme idea.

#7 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:59 AM

magnesium supplements may help. Magnesium is a natural laxative and muscle relaxant. Try a low dose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: