42 replies to this topic

#1 Lexi

Lexi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

I get So annoyed when people eat Gluten Free when they don't have to. I guess it's kind of a Fad Diet thing right now. I get irritated because restaurants don't seem to take the "Real Celiac people" as serious now. Also, it's irritating to think that when I go to Whole Foods, and they are out of stock of my favorite food, it could be because of someone who doesn't really HAVE to eat it. I know it's crazy, but that's how I feel. I even get mad at my own family when they eat my food because they can eat ANYTHING in the whole pantry, and I have one little shelf. Gosh....I feel like an angry, selfish Celiac.....just venting! :) I feel better now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Think of it this way. If you were the only one buying it, the stores would stop selling it. The more people that buy and eat gluten-free products all the better for us. :D

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

I often eat gluten-free because my daughter has to. I feel it is easier on her if I am eating the same. Yes I will sometimes order a sandwich or have something with gravy but often it will be a hamburger patty with no bun. I do have food allergies and I am diabetic so I do have to watch what I eat. Particularly the carbs. No it won't hurt me if my food gets cross contaminated with gluten. But I do have to be super careful about eggs because I am very allergic. So I feel regular pasta is not safe for me. So far all of the gluten-free pasta I've run across in a restaurant is egg free. So that is safe for me to eat. But a wheat pasta may not be. Even if it is not cross contaminated at the factory, they may have cooked an egg containing pasta in the same water.

At home our shared meals are always gluten-free. I do buy wheat bread for myself and use my own toaster. I do buy pretzels, sometimes tortillas and sometimes prepared food for myself that contains wheat. Sometimes I send her off to dance with her own meal. And then I will eat something at home that might contain gluten. Or it might not.

I do feel that the more people who demand gluten-free, the better for those who do need gluten-free. When my daughter was first diagnosed, there were few options in a restaurant. Now many places have a gluten-free menu.

#4 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

Think of it this way. If you were the only one buying it, the stores would stop selling it. The more people that buy and eat gluten-free products all the better for us. :D

melikamaui, Your so right about the need for more people eating gluten free.... I recently read an article that estimated 1 out of 10 people in the USA have or will develope some type of Gluten issue in their lifetime and most will never know it... If just half of that estimated group ate gluten free, our gluten free choices would start to become the Main Stream......
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:34 AM

Meh. Whole Foods... try a different health food store. My local Whole Paycheck has the gluten free stuff scattershot all over the place, making it a slow experience, was out of several basic gluten-free grain items the last time I checked, and has a surprising lack of safe generic items because they're run thru a plant also manufacturing wheat.

Lots of people eat gluten free so they don't cross contaminate a family member. It also helps reinforce it in restaurants, it's the gluten free table, not just the one person.

Re family: You need to get them trained to purchase gluten free snacks/foods and replace what they're eating, or start thinking of it as "ours," not just "theirs" and "mine."

#6 GlutenDude

GlutenDude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

I'm with you Lexi. If I see one more pseudo-celebrity preach a gluten free diet as a healthy lifestyle, I'm gonna lose it. Yes...it may mean more products for us on the shelves, but in the end, I think it hurts our cause.

#7 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:09 AM

Well, seeing how I found out I was gluten intolerant because I did a cleanse I don't really see the harm in it. Eating gluten free is free and legal and we don't need anyone's permission. Since my daughter and I both tested negative for celiac, I get annoyed when people question my self diagnosis. I wish people would not worry about what I'm eating nor would they worry about what I'm feeding my daughter. We're doing great.

Also, my husband eats mostly gluten free, for the same reasons as a couple of other posters, and he's less gassy, and has lost a lot of weight. He said last night he knows that his mostly gluten free diet is keeping him slim.

If other people will quit worrying about what I'm eating, I won't worry about what they are eating.

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:04 AM

I don't see it as an issue. If your religion forbade you pork, would you be thinking unkind thoughts towards people who don't eat it because they don't like it? If I refuse dairy because I don't like it, am I dissing the people who have a real issue with it?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

I only get upset at the people that claim they are gluten free and then turn around and eat something with gluten. I don't care why they are gluten-free, I just want them to be serious about it/educated about it.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#10 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:21 AM

I only get upset at the people that claim they are gluten free and then turn around and eat something with gluten. I don't care why they are gluten-free, I just want them to be serious about it/educated about it.

I agree with this! I mean provided the person doesn't order off the gluten free menu and then order a gluteny dessert or a beer with it I think it's fine.

As for the grocery store, the more buyers the more likely they are to stock the product. I live in a fairly rural area and the selection of products at my local store has exploded! Just 2 years ago I was driving out state for bread! I know fad dieters probably played a role in the expansion of options but I couldn't be happier to have everything I need a mile from my house!

#11 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

I agree with this! I mean provided the person doesn't order off the gluten free menu and then order a gluteny dessert or a beer with it I think it's fine.

Well, me too, but is it really all that different than the "pizza and a diet soda" mentality?
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#12 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

Well, me too, but is it really all that different than the "pizza and a diet soda" mentality?

I think that IS different. Ordering the diet soda with the pizza has some "advantages" in their mind. Whether there is an actual health advantage or not is a different question,but it does cut down on calories or sugar in their total meal. What is the so-called advantage of cutting back on gluten but not eliminating it? They should call it a low carb or low wheat diet instead of saying they are eating gluten free.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

s cut down on calories or sugar in their total meal. What is the so-called advantage of cutting back on gluten but not eliminating it?

Yes, WE get that, but I don't think that's true for most people.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#14 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

Yes, WE get that, but I don't think that's true for most people.

Right. I guess I should just say people that do things when they don't know the reasons behind doing the things they do bother me in general. They saw some celeb mention gluten-free and they decide to try it without even knowing what gluten-free means. I do think a lot of people confuse it with a low carb diet too and think it just means not eating bread. :huh:

#15 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

I get your point now. I don't watch TV or read pop stuff, so it didn't even occur to me that people follow someone just because they've heard their name.

Yes, you're right, people do things just because someone else does, and doing it poorly will reflect on those who endeavor to do it properly.

Maybe it's up to us to clarify (every time) that we aren't trend followers - there are real consequences to disregarding our requests.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: