This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's Annoying!

Lexi

beebs Enthusiast

My husband's not coeliac but he eats completely gluten free in the house to protect me from cross-contamination. My son-in-law does the same with my daughter. When they're out of their homes they both eat gluten. I think that people in the household of coeliac suffers are to be praised for doing this rather being annoyed with them for using up gluten free products. The more that these products are used, the more that a supermarket finds it viable to provide these goods.

Yes this, and interestingly - now if he eats gluten he gets sick. He had never even thought about it before but there is obviously something going on with gluten.

I am in two minds about this - it annoys me when people jump on the fad bandwagon about anything, because it minimises our disease/reactions- but on the other hand there are new gluten free products coming out every single day ...so I like that part! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

saintmaybe Collaborator

Well, Lexi, in all fairness I do agree it's annoying and misleading for the general public when someone claims to be gluten free then eats a hamburger at a party. I have a friend like this who is celiac but still every once in awhile will eat what she wants...usually at a party that I'm at. She admits she pays dearly later, but then people wonder why I don't just let loose too.

My concern I guess is that I get so annoyed when people question my diet, and my daughter's because we never tested positive for anything, not even an allergy, but we were so sick. And I hate defending this to others. So, I feel like I shouldn't question another person's choices either...even if it's just skipping a glutenous meal now and then, which I honestly believe everyone could benefit from.

That's such an insaaaaaaane risk. Does she not get that the cancer risk ONLY decreases with a strict, 100% gluten free diet? I mean, I know we all have to die of something, but that seems so needlessly preventable. Also...painful. Ouch.

srall Contributor

That's such an insaaaaaaane risk. Does she not get that the cancer risk ONLY decreases with a strict, 100% gluten free diet? I mean, I know we all have to die of something, but that seems so needlessly preventable. Also...painful. Ouch.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. I know. Long term risks aside, I would think the short term consequences would be enough to stop me...she talks about having to race out of the classroom to get to the bathroom on time (she's a teacher). She must not have other symptoms, at least that she notices. I for one would not be at work after the fact. I'd be in bed with a water bottle with a lovely rash and or hives.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. I know. Long term risks aside, I would think the short term consequences would be enough to stop me...she talks about having to race out of the classroom to get to the bathroom on time (she's a teacher). She must not have other symptoms, at least that she notices. I for one would not be at work after the fact. I'd be in bed with a water bottle with a lovely rash and or hives.

Yea the short term consequences are enough to stop me and most others here also. I wonder how she will feel when the time comes that she doesn't make it to the bathroom. Hope she carries a change of clothes to work with her.

Personally I don't care if others cheat on their diet and risk their health but I wish they wouldn't do it in public as it does make our needs seem less serious to restaurant workers. I need them to be serious about the risks as my results from even a small amount of gluten are very serious.

tennisman Contributor

Someone else above mentioned family members eating gluten-free to support someone. Well my husband eats gluten-free with me at home and he often will eat gluten-free with me at restaurants too. However, he doesn't go around telling people he is on a gluten-free diet, because he's not really. He tells people he likes to eat gluten-free to support me, but he can have gluten whenever he wants. That's different than telling people, "oh I can't have that bread because I'm on a gluten-free diet," and then eating a (non-gluten-free) cookie for dessert. Or a tennis player that abstains from gluten in order to play well and then brags about having a gluten feast on purpose after his match is over. Those people send mixed messages to the general public about gluten free and are the reason (IMO) that some people may not think gluten is a serious health risk to anyone and is just a fad. Again, I don't care about people doing it for a fad so long as they admit they are doing it for a fad and that other people have serious health reasons for avoiding gluten. If fad gluten-free dieters want to have gltuen every now and then they shoudl not say they are on a gluten-free diet but should say they eat a "low gluten diet" or something else besides a gluten-free diet.

Very good post :) The examples you mentioned about can't have bread but than eat gluten are very annoying . I have talked to some people at parties about being celiac and gluten free and they say quickly well I can't have dairy in a way that makes there food problems sound worse than celiac , and than later on I see them eating dairy food , I find it very strange . Also the tennis player who brags about eating gluten is a very annoying player , I agree they send out the wrong message to the public . The fad dieters annoy me the most that would be a good idea calling it a low gluten diet . I think I might just tell people I'm on the celiac disease diet instead of gluten free diet .

sariesue Explorer

Very good post :) The examples you mentioned about can't have bread but than eat gluten are very annoying . I have talked to some people at parties about being celiac and gluten free and they say quickly well I can't have dairy in a way that makes there food problems sound worse than celiac , and than later on I see them eating dairy food , I find it very strange . Also the tennis player who brags about eating gluten is a very annoying player , I agree they send out the wrong message to the public . The fad dieters annoy me the most that would be a good idea calling it a low gluten diet . I think I might just tell people I'm on the celiac disease diet instead of gluten free diet .

The thing with dairy might just be a lactose intolerance issue. I know that for some people they can take lactaid pills and have no issues with dairy. So they might have taken them before.

rustycat Rookie

A few months ago, I went to a women's luncheon. I had called ahead and asked for a gluten free lunch and was assured that they could provide one. When I got there, the person in charge pointed out the gluten free food (it was a buffet), said that it had been specially ordered and to please not touch it. I ended up last in line and another woman took half of my lunch before I got to it. I went up to her and told her that it had been specially ordered for me because I'm gluten free. She told me that she was gluten free, too, as she picked up a regular sandwich to put beside the gluten free one on her plate. I pointed out that the sandwich she had just picked up had gluten and she turned and walked away. I stood there very surprised. I took the remains of the gluten free food and ate that for lunch.

That is the first and only time that I've had that kind of experience. Most people are really supportive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

A few months ago, I went to a women's luncheon. I had called ahead and asked for a gluten free lunch and was assured that they could provide one. When I got there, the person in charge pointed out the gluten free food (it was a buffet), said that it had been specially ordered and to please not touch it. I ended up last in line and another woman took half of my lunch before I got to it. I went up to her and told her that it had been specially ordered for me because I'm gluten free. She told me that she was gluten free, too, as she picked up a regular sandwich to put beside the gluten free one on her plate. I pointed out that the sandwich she had just picked up had gluten and she turned and walked away. I stood there very surprised. I took the remains of the gluten free food and ate that for lunch.

That is the first and only time that I've had that kind of experience. Most people are really supportive.

Wow! That's terrible! It's one thing if the woman really were gluten free too but clearly she had no idea what that meant or she would not have said that or been so rude. On the other hand I think I would not want tons of people walking past my gluten-free food on a buffet with gluteny food in their hands. I would have asked the buffet staff to put the gluten-free food aside for me somewhere to avoid cc issues. It's stories like this that remind me why I always carry some food with me even if the place says they can do gluten-free. You just never know what kind of "mistakes" can happen.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Some people just like diet soda better than regular :) It doesn't annoy me too much but I did have a situation in college when it bothered me. I had just gone gluten free and that's when they were pushing hard the mindset that if I continued eating like I was, I'd do damage that could eventually lead to stomach cancer. I took that pretty seriously, among other things, and drastically changed my diet. Only to have a sorority sister, behind my back, say that she was also gluten free and that I was full of it because you could get cancer from using a microwave...all while eating pizza, tastycakes and breaded chicken tenders. Clearly, not gluten free. That ticked me off :)

anabananakins Explorer
I think people without celiac disease eating gluten free for no reason make the disease look like a joke.

I don't think you need to be diagnosed celiac to have to be on the diet. I tested negative to celiac but I'm clearly gluten intolerant and quite likely have celiac, it's just that testing has a long way to go to catch up (especially with those who have neurological symptoms).

I try not to take all of any product off the shelf, regardless what it is - it seems kind of mean, especially with speciality products (I try not to take the last carton of lactose free milk, there's only one variety). But I don't think anyone has a right to any product more than anyone else does. There are plenty of other foods to eat (naturally non-gluten free ones). It is annoying though if you make a special trip to Whole Paycheck (my trips are made from all the way in Australia!)

But I would get really annoyed if I saw a person who said they were on a "gluten free diet" eat food with gluten in it. That's just stupid. Anyone is allowed to eat gluten free food, but don't proclaim you're on a gluten free diet unless you're actually living the life 100%. I mean, if I avoid mixing meat and dairy, it doesn't mean I'm keeping kosher.

And I love diet coke, wouldn't ever drink regular coke. I don't care if I'm eating a 20 thousand calorie meal, the soda will be diet.

mushroom Proficient

To me, the issue is very clear. A vegan does not go in to a restaurant and order steak. A gluten-free eater does not choose a phyllo pastry for dessert. Someone who is mostly vegan can order meat if they want; someone who tries to mostly eat gluten free can have the pastry. But neither can call themselves vegan or gluten free. And that's when the problems begin.......

violentlyserene Rookie

I get So annoyed when people eat Gluten Free when they don't have to. I guess it's kind of a Fad Diet thing right now. I get irritated because restaurants don't seem to take the "Real Celiac people" as serious now. Also, it's irritating to think that when I go to Whole Foods, and they are out of stock of my favorite food, it could be because of someone who doesn't really HAVE to eat it. I know it's crazy, but that's how I feel. I even get mad at my own family when they eat my food because they can eat ANYTHING in the whole pantry, and I have one little shelf. Gosh....I feel like an angry, selfish Celiac.....just venting! :) I feel better now.

It's understandable to feel that way. I try to celebrate gluten as a fad because it means I have better access to foods I didn't have before. Mostly I've been eating unprocessed foods lately but it's so so good to be able to have cookies or saltine or bagels whenever I get the urge. Celiac/gluten intolerance advocates do a lot and I do not want to discount their work but fad diets are amazing for getting a variety of food on store shelves fast.

cyberprof Enthusiast

Meh. Whole Foods... try a different health food store. My local Whole Paycheck has the gluten free stuff scattershot all over the place, making it a slow experience, was out of several basic gluten-free grain items the last time I checked, and has a surprising lack of safe generic items because they're run thru a plant also manufacturing wheat.

My local Whole Foods/paycheck has all the gluten-free products grouped together in the front of the store when you walk in. They are almost never out of what I need, although I don't go there as a first choice. (My first choice is Puget Consumer Co-op, which is much cheaper...sometimes PCC is even cheaper than the mainline grocery stores except for meat/fish.)

So y'all might consider suggesting you local Whole Foods set up a dedicated gluten-free section. Ours even has a message board to post messages, a recipe center and a place to have food demonstrations.

Monael Apprentice

Well I am not sure how I should take this post. I haven't been diagnosed with celiac or even gluten intolerance. I found that my intestinal issues (previously diagnosed as IBS) have almost disappeared by avoiding gluten. So I have taken the step of not eating gluten-at great expense and inconvenience to myself I might add. It is worth it to me to not have constant gas, diarrhea and horribly itchy scalp. So if I take the last gluten free cracker off the grocery store shelf, I am sorry but I won't feel bad. The gluten free diet has been a great help to me. I have not knowingly eaten one thing that contains gluten since I discovered that not eating gluten gave me relief. As a matter of fact I am scared to even try eating gluten to see if it is a huge coincidence that not eating it has kept me from running to the bathroom. I guess it would annoy me if someone claimed to be gluten free and then ate something with gluten in it... but I have to say that until I found this forum there were a lot of things I didn't even realize had gluten in them. For instance, I thought corn flakes were ok, didn't realize malt was a problem. Didn't occur to me about cc either.

I said all that to say that perhaps there are others that aren't educated about celiac, gluten intolerance or even how many things contain gluten that don't need to contain gluten in them. I get sad sometimes at all the things I need to prepare from scratch because I don't want to have to worry about cc. The ingredient list looks great! I get excited! Then I see the dreaded "made on equipment that also processes wheat" and I pass on it.

desert rose Newbie

Im hearing you lexi.

srall Contributor

Well I am not sure how I should take this post. I haven't been diagnosed with celiac or even gluten intolerance. I found that my intestinal issues (previously diagnosed as IBS) have almost disappeared by avoiding gluten. So I have taken the step of not eating gluten-at great expense and inconvenience to myself I might add. It is worth it to me to not have constant gas, diarrhea and horribly itchy scalp. So if I take the last gluten free cracker off the grocery store shelf, I am sorry but I won't feel bad. The gluten free diet has been a great help to me. I have not knowingly eaten one thing that contains gluten since I discovered that not eating gluten gave me relief. As a matter of fact I am scared to even try eating gluten to see if it is a huge coincidence that not eating it has kept me from running to the bathroom. I guess it would annoy me if someone claimed to be gluten free and then ate something with gluten in it... but I have to say that until I found this forum there were a lot of things I didn't even realize had gluten in them. For instance, I thought corn flakes were ok, didn't realize malt was a problem. Didn't occur to me about cc either.

I said all that to say that perhaps there are others that aren't educated about celiac, gluten intolerance or even how many things contain gluten that don't need to contain gluten in them. I get sad sometimes at all the things I need to prepare from scratch because I don't want to have to worry about cc. The ingredient list looks great! I get excited! Then I see the dreaded "made on equipment that also processes wheat" and I pass on it.

IMO you HAVE been diagnosed with gluten intolerance. It's just that you diagnosed yourself. If you feel better on a gluten free diet and have had many symptoms clear up on this diet, you are gluten intolerant at the very least. I'm so glad you feel better.

I got a little defensive at first at Lexi's post, but I *think* the problem is with people who publicly claim to be gluten free, then don't follow a gluten free diet. I can see this same problem happening for diabetics, or as someone else mentioned, somebody who is kosher...These issues are very important to some people, and it's dangerous when others don't take it seriously...especially servers or chefs at a restaurant.

Monael Apprentice

IMO you HAVE been diagnosed with gluten intolerance. It's just that you diagnosed yourself. If you feel better on a gluten free diet and have had many symptoms clear up on this diet, you are gluten intolerant at the very least. I'm so glad you feel better.

I got a little defensive at first at Lexi's post, but I *think* the problem is with people who publicly claim to be gluten free, then don't follow a gluten free diet. I can see this same problem happening for diabetics, or as someone else mentioned, somebody who is kosher...These issues are very important to some people, and it's dangerous when others don't take it seriously...especially servers or chefs at a restaurant.

That makes sense. And I do think there are some who have even had an actual diagnosis of celiac disease who have a hard time sticking to the diet and end up cheating. Just like diabetics. My boyfriend is diabetic and he often goes against medical advice because he wants to do whatever he wants.

I can see the frustration aimed at people who use the gluten free diet as a fad. I am fairly new to this so I am trying to be optimistic about the whole thing. I am starting to see more gluten free items in the store so there is that side benefit. Hopefully this will start the public being educated in the matter. Before I started researching, I had no idea of the seriousness of celiac/gluten intolerance. I had heard that some people couldn't eat gluten, but until I started reading about it, I didn't take it seriously either. So it is good that these topics come up so that we can find ways to educate people about it. I do that at work sometimes when the topic comes up.

cyberprof Enthusiast

That makes sense. And I do think there are some who have even had an actual diagnosis of celiac disease who have a hard time sticking to the diet and end up cheating. Just like diabetics. My boyfriend is diabetic and he often goes against medical advice because he wants to do whatever he wants.

I can see the frustration aimed at people who use the gluten free diet as a fad. I am fairly new to this so I am trying to be optimistic about the whole thing. I am starting to see more gluten free items in the store so there is that side benefit. Hopefully this will start the public being educated in the matter. Before I started researching, I had no idea of the seriousness of celiac/gluten intolerance. I had heard that some people couldn't eat gluten, but until I started reading about it, I didn't take it seriously either. So it is good that these topics come up so that we can find ways to educate people about it. I do that at work sometimes when the topic comes up.

I agree with this. I had a co-worker who claimed to be allergic to many foods including wheat. But she'd eat it anyway, and thus lowered my credibility. This was the place with the big birthday cake every month to celebrate peoples' birthdays...and they never got me a gluten-free cake after being there several years. So I stopped going to the party and got labeled a "Party-pooper".

Archived