24 replies to this topic

#1 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

I am part Italian and I loved Italian pasta, ate it all the time. But even gluten-free pasta is not good for me and I've reduced my refined carbs. However, I can't give up my Italian food so I'm always on the look-out for fun dishes. This one has the benefit of not only being gluten-free and low grain AND it's also quicker than lasagne. One caveat is that it is not low fat and would be hard to convert to dairy-free but now that my CF/DF son has gone to college I get free rein.

The recipe calls for homemade pasta sauce but I used jarred.

It is a really pretty dish with the Italian Flag colors - red, green and white. Would be good for a dinner party or potluck. Enjoy!

Baked Spinach Dumplings
Malfatti gratinati (sometimes called gnocchi gnudi or ravioli gnudi, nude gnocchi and nude ravioli)
Adapted from Twelve: A Tuscan Cookbook and this blog http://newfinmysoup....-tradition.html

Serves 6-8 (about 30 dumplings)
1 quantity of Béchamel Sauce (recipe below)
2 cups Simple Tomato Sauce (about ½ the quantity of the recipe below)
2 lb, 10 oz fresh spinach (1 lb, 2 oz cooked spinach) Note: If using frozen spinach, use 2 lb frozen Chopped Baby Spinach
1 lb, 2 oz fresh ricotta cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
Butter for greasing baking dish
½ cup gluten-free flour (I used a blend but rice or garbanzo would work)

Prepare the fresh tomato sauce, and set aside.

Cook the spinach according to the package directions, drain, and let cool. When it has cooled, squeeze out the water with your hands (this is important, as extra water will make it difficult for the dumplings to hold their shape).
In a medium bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, eggs, half the Parmesan cheese and a grating of nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, and mix with a wooden spoon to make a soft mass. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

While the oven is preheating, prepare the béchamel sauce.

Liberally butter a large baking dish (I used 9 x 12 dish). Spoon a little of the béchamel sauce onto the bottom of the dish to just cover it.

Put the flour on to a flat plate and pat your hands in the flour. Using a tablespoon and your hands, form dumplings the size of a small egg, slightly elongated (about 2 ½ inches long by 1 ½ inches wide). Dust them very lightly in the flour and put them onto the béchamel in neat rows. Cover with the remaining béchamel. Splash the surface with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden. Serve hot.
Besciamella
Béchamel Sauce
Makes 4 cups
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup gluten-free flour (I used a blend but rice or garbanzo would work)
2 tablespoons corn starch
4 cups whole milk
Salt and pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg

Add cornstarch to milk and mix. Heat the milk in a saucepan or microwave. In a separate medium saucepan, melt the butter, and then add the flour. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook for a minute or two until it is lightly golden. Add a ladleful of the warm milk and stir well so it does not form lumps. Continue adding the milk in ladlefuls and stirring constantly until all the milk has been incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, and a generous grating of nutmeg. Continue cooking and stirring on low heat for another 10 minutes to thicken. It should be very smooth. Remove from the heat. Just before using, give it a good whisking.
Simple Tomato Sauce
Pomarola Semplice
Makes about 4 cups
4 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed with the flat of a large knife
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 lb ripe, fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped (or two, 28-ounce cans of San Marzano whole, peeled tomatoes with juice)
Salt and pepper
12 fresh basil leaves, roughly torn

If using canned tomatoes, dump tomatoes and juice into a bowl and break up the tomatoes with your hands. Put the garlic and olive oil into a saucepan over medium heat. When the garlic begins to sizzle, add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20-25 minutes, until the tomatoes have melted into a thick, smooth sauce (if using canned tomatoes, the cooking time is slightly less, about 15 minutes from when the tomatoes begin to boil). Add the basil and turn off the heat.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

I applaud you, but I'm exhausted by just reading the recipe! Good for you, I bet it was delicious. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

That sounds delicious!!! Thank you for the recipe.

#4 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

That sounds delicious!!! Thank you for the recipe.

You're welcome!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yum! My kind of recipe. I love making pasta, dumplings, gnocchi and so on and it is so reassuring that there is no reason to ever have to settle for yucky gluten free food! I made a big batch of delicious marinara sauce and am actually making something similar to your recipe tomorrow evening with homemade ricotta (easy to make). :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Yum! My kind of recipe. I love making pasta, dumplings, gnocchi and so on and it is so reassuring that there is no reason to ever have to settle for yucky gluten free food! I made a big batch of delicious marinara sauce and am actually making something similar to your recipe tomorrow evening with homemade ricotta (easy to make). :D

I've been making marinara myself but I forgot to thaw it so I used store-bought.

Homemade ricotta sounds good...I've been too busy to learn but I should try.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

I've been making marinara myself but I forgot to thaw it so I used store-bought.

Homemade ricotta sounds good...I've been too busy to learn but I should try.

Gnudi are so fabulous with roasted butternut squash and sage, too, in addition to the bechamel or with browned butter sauce. Man, am I getting hungry!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

this sounds delicious! i am going to try it - what sort of meat (for the husband) would you suggest would go well with it? italian sausage? meatballs? what do you serve with it if anything else? it sounds like a complete meal to me but i know what the first question out of his mouth will be LOL (he is not a huge spinach fan either but that is TOO BAD ;) )

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

this sounds delicious! i am going to try it - what sort of meat (for the husband) would you suggest would go well with it? italian sausage? meatballs? what do you serve with it if anything else? it sounds like a complete meal to me but i know what the first question out of his mouth will be LOL (he is not a huge spinach fan either but that is TOO BAD ;) )

What if, instead of covering with plain pasta sauce, you made some with meat - either Ital sausage or hamburger?

I'm going to try this. But I don't think I will put the white sauce on the bottom. I'll just use a little extra red sauce for the bottom. Too lazy to make the white sauce and might save a few calories.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#10 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

that sounds like a great idea - also a one pan wonder :) i am going to try it with the white sauce and sausage in marinara (red) - i have one batch of red sauce left in the freezer that this will work great with - yeh!

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

made this for dinner tonight and it was DEE-LISH-OUS!!! thank you so much for posting the recipe :) it was easy to make and daughter said she had this at a restaurant and that these were better. thank you thank you :)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#12 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

made this for dinner tonight and it was DEE-LISH-OUS!!! thank you so much for posting the recipe :) it was easy to make and daughter said she had this at a restaurant and that these were better. thank you thank you :)

Awww...this made my day! Glad you liked it.

#13 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

I'm thinkin' this might make a wonderful alternative Thanksgiving main course this year. I'm not a huge turkey fan.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#14 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

This sounds sooooo good. I just bought all the ingredients and am going to make it tonight. I'm going to try it with just the red sauce to save on fat and calories like a previous poster mentioned. Before I had to go gluten-free, one of my favorite meals was the spinach/cheese raviolis. I love anything with the spinach/cheese combo.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#15 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

We just got through eating and it was wonderful. My husband really liked the dumplings and so did I! I think he was surprised since there was no pasta in it. I only used a marinara sauce since I wanted to save on the fat and it was exceptional. I can't imagine how good it would be with the bechamel sauce too. Just sinful.

Also, the ricotta cheese was only 15 oz. I used the Lucerne brand. What brand did you use that came in a container of 1 lb 2 oz?

So, thanks for the recipe. This is a keeper and I'll probably have it for lunch tomorrow.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: