This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Turkey Stuffing

Terri-Anne

Terri-Anne Apprentice

My formerly skeptical mom, has witnessed Logan having a reaction a couple of times and is now convinced I am not just fanatical about what he eats, just for the sake of having a "cause".

With family get-together, holiday meals in mind, she asked me if turkey dressing would turn out edible for the rest of the gluten-loving family members if we made it out of rice bread, so that Logan could enjoy the stuffing with the rest of us. I said I hadn't tried it yet myself, so I did not know, but that I would pose the question on here to see if anyone else has ventured there.

I recently tried adding rice-pasta noodles to a homemade soup in the crock pot, but instead of having a soup with pasta in it at mealtime, we wound up with a thickened-stew, with NO hint of pasta. (It had disintegrated and became a mere thickener) oops

So how about it? Does anyone know whether non-celiacs would be able to palate a turkey stuffing made with rice bread? Has anyone ever tried it? Or would this be a major flop?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I thnk it would work, but haven't tried it myself. Last Thanksgiving, I made rice stuffing (a wild rice/brown rice mix, with onions and mushrooms) for the "stuffing". There are a lot of rice-based stuffing recipes (that are naturally gluten free) out there that I'm sure the family would love.

jenni Newbie

Last Thanksgiving I made stuffing that was very good! I didn't stuff the turkey with it though. I cubed the Featherlight Rice Bread and mixed them with butter and garlic salt. I toasted them in a 200 degree oven and stirred every now and then until they were crunchy. Then I mixed them with chicken broth, more butter and a mixture of sauteed onions, garlic, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Then I baked that for about 30 min. at 350. Yum!

Terri-Anne Apprentice

Tarnalberry,

I have made some stuffing with rice, for Logan which he liked. I thought it was good too, but there are those in my family who are stuck on tradition, so to speak, very stuck in their ways, and just kind of looked at it.

Jenni,

Did anyone who is NOT a gluten-free convert eat the stuffing you made? It sounds delicious, but did any of the skeptics enjoy it with you?

Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely try it at home with my own hubby and children who are used to sampling my gluten-free experiments. I guess then we can make a judgement call as to whether the extended bunch will accept it as a reasonable alternative. I can't think of anything worse for my little son's feelings than if they got a mouthful of it and started making all kinds of negative comments or even politely refused to eat it. He would question why he has to eat "crap that normal people won't even touch!" when in fact it could be delicious, but slightly different textured than the average joe is used to.

Does it have to be the featherlight bread that I use, or would any rice bread work?

Thanks for your response.

Archived