No replies to this topic

#1 Reba32

Reba32

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

Ok, inspired by This topic here originally posted by MerrillC1977 I did some tweaking and came up with a very lovely "artisan" type bread that I'm quite proud of :) This is great if you can tolerate oats, which have not been a problem for me. (I've been gluten-free since Dec. 2009) I bought Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats, and ground them myself in a coffee grinder to make flour. It's sooooooooo much less expensive that way! It was $6.99 for nearly a kilo of oats, and it made enough flour that I can make quite a lot of bread!

Ingredients
* 1 Tbsp. yeast
* 1 Tbsp. Sugar (I used coconut sugar)
* 1 cups warm water
* 1 3/4 cups of Gluten-Free oat flour
* 1 cup of flax meal (I used Webber's from CostCo)
* 2 tbsp chia seeds (1 to make a "chia egg" 1 to add to dry ingredients)
* 2 tsp. xanthan gum
* 1 tsp. salt
* 2 large eggs
* 3 tbsp water
* 1 Tbsp. oil
* 1 tsp. Lemon juice

Directions

1. in a "pinch bowl" or measuring cup, put 1 tbsp of chia seeds, with 3 tbsp of water, and let sit for about 15 minutes until it is "gummy" (this is a "chia egg")

2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the yeast and sugar, and then add the water while gently stirring. Let this mixture sit while you mix the rest of the ingredients bubbles and foam should form if the yeast is good.

3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the oat flour, flax meal, 1 tbsp chia seeds, xanthan gum and salt; mix well.

4. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, chia egg, and lemon juice until its all a bit frothy.

5. By this point the yeast mixture should be foamy, so you can pour the two liquid mixtures into the flour mixture.

6. Blend the dough with the regular stand mixer attachment for about 4 minutes on a low/medium speed, scraping down the sides once or twice.

7. Scoop the dough into a greased loaf pan. (Using a spatula sprayed with cooking spray helps this process along greatly - the dough will be sticky). Allow it to rise in a warmed oven for 1 hour. (while you're mixing the dough, turn your oven on to 400F for one or 2 minutes, then turn it off). Mine didn't rise very high at all, only a little above the pan, but after it was baked, it turned out nice and soft on the inside. Perfect :)

8. Bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

This was really nice after it cooled a while and just sliced with some butter on it. It's a nice dark colour, with a bit of a nutty flavour from the flax. It's also high in fiber, and healthy Omega 3s from the flax and chia. If you're looking for something less carbby than store-bought gluten-free bread, this'll certainly do it!

Many many thanks to MerrillC for the inspiration! I couldn't have done it without you! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: