#1 celiacchef

celiacchef

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

Hi guys,

I'm a chef that cooks gluten-free dishes from starters to desserts.

I'm not celiac myself but wanted to ask a question.

What is the one dish you miss because of being a celiac? It can be anything!

I ask this because I love cooking gluten-free dishes: sticky toffee puddings, raviolis bread and butter pudding, fresh pasta, fresh breads and so on.

But what I really want is your feedback instead of me guessing.

Thank you for your feedback,

Scott

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:49 AM

I can't pick just one thing...
a really good pizza crust would be nice
a soft, non crumbly bun for a good burger
egg pasta
ravioli, manicotti
egg rolls..not rice paper rolls
and the holy grail..really good bread! :D

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:00 AM

I'm not a chef but teach culinary classes and am obsessed with cooking and food. :D I can make most things gluten-free very well except for the following:

- buttery flaky croissants
- fabulous ciabatta with good chew
- phyllo and puff pastry (I miss making Beef Wellington, Steak and Ale Pie) but I do adapt
- soft puffy yeast doughnuts - I really dislike cake doughnuts
- very good chewy pretzels
- wonderful fresh pasta - my gluten-free homemade is pretty decent and to remedy lack of flavour I incorporate fresh herbs betweeen layers, spinach, butternut squash and so on.
- English muffins - have tried a few gluten-free commercial brands such as Kinnickinnik and they are deplorable!
- I can make a pretty mean pizza crust but really miss the wood-fired crusts in Europe. However, as we do have a wood-fired oven at our house in Croatia we are going to be doing a lot of practicing! Can't wait.

Currently I am perfecting buttermilk biscuits and scones.

Like you, I enjoy making Sticky Toffee Pudding and so on. I find it very easy to make gluten-free focaccia, cakes, cookies, squares, brownies and thankfully some of my favourite desserts such as creme brulee, panna cotta, semifreddo and pavlova and dacquoise are naturally gluten free.

I am a pretty picky scratch cook and tend to be a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen. When I make fresh pasta most people are all over it; however, I cannot be satisfied until it is perfect in my mind. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Tabz

Tabz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

i miss foods
-----------------------

1: chicken in a biscuit crackers

2: life cereal

3: normel bread

i cant eat the same foods as my family does.
:huh:

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

My list is the same as love2travel's list, and I'll throw in sourdough french bread with that wonderful crust :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'm not a chef but teach culinary classes and am obsessed with cooking and food. :D I can make most things gluten-free very well except for the following:

- buttery flaky croissants
- fabulous ciabatta with good chew
- phyllo and puff pastry (I miss making Beef Wellington, Steak and Ale Pie) but I do adapt

The above three would be top on my list. I'll probably never be able to have even gluten-free versions however as croissants and puff pastry depend on layers of butter and I cannot have dairy or soy. Earth Balance soy free dairy free spread is good but it doesn't chill to the extent that butter does.

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.

I know what you mean! Triscuits have that pleasant textured crunch that is unique and goes so well with so many yummy things. Thanks a lot for bringing it up! Kidding. :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

CheezIts. I found some crackers that were not entirely unlike CheezIts. They had about the right texture but were lacking that disgustingly wonderful orange fake cheesy flavor!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

mozzerella sticks

big, soft pretzels

onion rings

fried chicken

potstickers
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#10 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

mozzerella sticks

big, soft pretzels

onion rings

fried chicken

potstickers

Well, you're in luck! gluten-free mozzarella sticks and onion rings are easy to make and just as delicious. I know what you mean about soft pretzels, potstickers and fried chicken, though. Fried chicken can still be nearly as good, though.

#11 desert rose

desert rose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:38 AM

I miss Subway and hamburgers from fish and chip shops!!!!!!!

#12 Meatballman

Meatballman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

I could go on forever.Here are a few things.
1. Real Beer
2. Real Bread
3. Pasta not made from corn or rice.
4. Apple pie
5. The ability to be able to eat where I want what I want anytime I want!
Positive bloodwork
Positive biopsy
Gluten Free 10/2010
At the end of the game the Pawn and the King are placed in the same box.

#13 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

I could go on forever.Here are a few things.
1. Real Beer
2. Real Bread
3. Pasta not made from corn or rice.
4. Apple pie
5. The ability to be able to eat where I want what I want anytime I want!

Have you tried millet and buckwheat pasta combination? I cannot recall the brand name but it is the best gluten-free pasta I have tried by far. Vastly superior to icky corn and rice pasta. And I am extremely picky about food. Wait a minute - it is called King Soba and comes in a few flavours. Expensive but worth it. It has a nice texture and flavour.

#14 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

What do I miss most?

- Really good bread, still warm with a crisp, chewy crust and soft middle.
- Pizza and pizza "bones" (the outer crust that people sometimes don't eat!! )
- flaky biscuits
- cornbread
- brownies

I have to quit. This is torture!!!!!

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#15 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

What do I miss most?

- Really good bread, still warm with a crisp, chewy crust and soft middle.
- Pizza and pizza "bones" (the outer crust that people sometimes don't eat!! )
- flaky biscuits
- cornbread
- brownies

I have to quit. This is torture!!!!!

Oh, boy, do I hear ya about the pizza 'bones'!!

as far as cornbread.... Gluten Free Pantry and Bob's Red Mill both have pretty good cornbread mixes. i used both of those last year over the holidays, and my cornbread loving- husband couldn't tell they were gluten-free!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: