This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Miss?

celiacchef

love2travel Mentor

This is what I miss most - a $35,000 dessert...

Open Original Shared Link

:lol: I'm not a chocolate fan but I do love champagne and caviar!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BabsV Enthusiast

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.

OMG! I ate an entire box of Triscuits in 3 days prior to my biopsy because the doctor was pretty sure I was going to be going gluten-free after it...oh, I miss that crunchy salty treat.

Menic Apprentice

Besides all of the above:

Sushi - I'd like to be able to get a california roll and a shrimp tempura roll at a restaurant or at the grocery. I know I can make it all myself, but sometimes you just want it done for you. I'm also not that big a fan of nigiri.

Good bread - I worked in a french bakery for 6 years before being diagnosed. So I'm a little jaded.

Beer - anything you can't see through. The first person to create a gluten-free porter should be thrown a parade.

Cathey Apprentice

Being only 7 days free I'm still limited to misses.

Thomas English Muffin

Coors Light (Red Bridge is OK)

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

bread bowl (s)

why, oh why, did my husband today that he had soup in a bread bowl for lunch a couple of days ago.... :ph34r:

Skylark Collaborator

Beer - anything you can't see through. The first person to create a gluten-free porter should be thrown a parade.

Try the Belgian imported Green's Endeavor dubbel dark ale. It's pricey but it's an honest-to-god dark beer. Open Original Shared Link

People have mentioned some of my favorites. Crusty French baguette, Triscuits, pizza with REAL crust (and why must all gluten-free pizza be Chicago style??? New York style gluten-free pizza, please!) I have others to add though.

1. Knishes with potato filling.

2. Fresh gnocci or ravioli with interesting filling. I can get dried gluten-free pasta with no fillings but if I want fresh I have to make it, which is a pain.

3. Still-warm sopapillas with honey.

4. Beer battered onion rings. (Separate fryer and gluten-free beer, please.)

5. Pastry. I MISS going to a bakery and getting cake slices with the thin layers and fruit or cream filling in-between, napoleons, cream puffs, eclairs, or cannoli. I could probably make them gluten-free but it's a ton of work.

6. Calzones

7. New York street pretzels. You know the ones I mean. They come from the carts and taste slightly smoky from the charcoal fire, have the big chunks of rock salt on them, and you eat them with yellow mustard.

peeptoad Apprentice

I thought I would miss pizza, but I don't miss it nearly as much as I supposed I would.

For me I miss a big old crusty, baguette the most... used to love it with brie or camembert, or just dipped in olive oil. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

peeptoad Apprentice

And, beer-battered fish & chips. I miss that too... :(

• 1 month later...
aeraen Apprentice

Convenience. (I know, you can't help me there). I can pretty much make and adapt anything I want, but I miss grabbing a burger and fries on the road while on a day trip to another city. Or sampling that city's specialty while on a tour. Which brings me to:

Eating out. Without having to explain celiac disease in detail to every server (which is why I seldom eat out). This, of course, is exactly what you are trying to help with, and for that I want to thank you. Please tell us the name of your restaurant and the city it is in, because I would love to visit it someday!

ETA: If your city DOES have a specialty (like Chicago deep dish pizza, or Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches) please see if you can adapt it to gluten-free. THAT could even get you a spot in the local newspaper or, dare I say, a gluten-free magazine. :)

deltron80 Rookie

I must agree with the people who enjoy fried foods...

Fried Chicken

Fish & Chips

Corn Dogs

French Fries

Fried Dough

Chicken Nuggets

Gyros (on a pita)

Chicken Parm

If I ever slip it will be someone offering me KFC lol... or this really good thin crust pizza place in my town that's to die for... <_<

Lucky for me I don't have much of a sweet tooth B)

samie Contributor

I miss calzones, real italian new york type pizza, corn dogs, fresh preztels, and italian bread.

AVR1962 Collaborator

While in the frozen food section yesterday I passed bagels and wished for second that I could have one. I so used to love a sausage patty with an egg on a onion bagel with cream cheese for breakfast!

ciamarie Rookie

I miss Vermicelli (angel hair) pasta, as well as tortellini. A good tortellini is a wonderful thing... (I'm not Italian, but I love Italian food.)

CreativeKat Newbie

I think the thing I miss the most is perogies!

I've made a perogi casserole which is mashed potatoes layered with cheese and lasagna noodles which is totally yummy...but not exactly the same...

I tried making my own perogies also...but the dough is pretty hard to work with to get them to stay together...:S

Cathey Apprentice

Try the Belgian imported Green's Endeavor dubbel dark ale. It's pricey but it's an honest-to-god dark beer. Open Original Shared Link

People have mentioned some of my favorites. Crusty French baguette, Triscuits, pizza with REAL crust (and why must all gluten-free pizza be Chicago style??? New York style gluten-free pizza, please!) I have others to add though.

1. Knishes with potato filling.

2. Fresh gnocci or ravioli with interesting filling. I can get dried gluten-free pasta with no fillings but if I want fresh I have to make it, which is a pain.

I'v had Conte's frozen, gluten-free,WF,CF - gnocchi,ravioli and spinach ravioli, all very good. Check out Conte's online maybe you can order them. Our local pasta store "Pastosa" carrys that brand but also has fresh stuffed shells, ravioli, spinach ravioli. I've tried both fresh raviolis and making the shells for Christmas. They ship anywhere.

This year I missing pastiera and struffoli. Aleia's make a great almond horn got them last week. Enjoy the Holidays.

maximoo Enthusiast

My DD misses Auntie's Anne's pretzels and gold fish crackers.

• 5 weeks later...
jeanzdyn Apprentice

fettucine alfredo, breadsticks, hot noodles with any kind of topping...

tortillas, pita bread, dumplings......... it pains me to think of all the

foods I love that I cannot have.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

For almost six years I asked to eat at Lucky Wishbone (local fried food chain in Tucson). Never, ever ever ever got it.

Hubs always made an excuse - no...too heavy, too greasy, will give him indigestion.

Mind, he RAVED about eating it as a kid/college.

So, a few weeks before I MOVE TO TUCSON AND COULD EAT LUCKY WISHBONE WHENEVER I WANT I'm told to "try gluten-free".

So, I am now a resident of Tucson and don't know what the heck Lucky Wishbone tastes like.

And I have no idea why I'm bitter about something I've never tried, except my 9 year-old RAVES about it, since hubby took HIM.

• 2 weeks later...
egallag Rookie

Pop Tarts. I know that seems silly, but I really miss Pop Tarts.:(

And Bread...good bread. I have not found a GOOD gluten-free bread.

Adalaide Mentor

I had months to make peace with mostly cutting out fried foods. (stupid useless gallbladder) The celiac thing kind of blindsided me since neither my doctor or me suspected it. (diagnosed by a total fluke) So I may miss chicken nuggets, mozz sticks and onion rings, but there's no point learning to make things I really shouldn't be eating anyway.

I made this amazing artisan french bread. Dense but still somehow airy, melt in your mouth, close your eyes in ecstasy bread. A raved about staple of Christmas gift baskets. It may be years until I can resist temptation enough to make it for gift baskets.

Red velvet cake. Quite possibly the second most amazing dessert in existence. (Nothing can top tiramisu, my first real baking project after mastering pie crust will be lady fingers.)

Grilled cheese. Okay, so sure I can get a knife, fight with a frozen loaf of Udi's for 5 minutes trying to pry 2 slices off, then defrost it, then slap together a sandwich. But frankly, it just isn't the same.

I totally get the Pop Tarts thing. My husband walked in with a box of some new tropical flavored ones about a week ago. "Oh, you wouldn't have liked them anyway." Really? Hi, have we met? Tropical fruit? omg yes please! I was tempted to beat him senseless with the box.

love2travel Mentor

I had months to make peace with mostly cutting out fried foods. (stupid useless gallbladder) The celiac thing kind of blindsided me since neither my doctor or me suspected it. (diagnosed by a total fluke) So I may miss chicken nuggets, mozz sticks and onion rings, but there's no point learning to make things I really shouldn't be eating anyway.

I made this amazing artisan french bread. Dense but still somehow airy, melt in your mouth, close your eyes in ecstasy bread. A raved about staple of Christmas gift baskets. It may be years until I can resist temptation enough to make it for gift baskets.

Red velvet cake. Quite possibly the second most amazing dessert in existence. (Nothing can top tiramisu, my first real baking project after mastering pie crust will be lady fingers.)

Grilled cheese. Okay, so sure I can get a knife, fight with a frozen loaf of Udi's for 5 minutes trying to pry 2 slices off, then defrost it, then slap together a sandwich. But frankly, it just isn't the same.

I totally get the Pop Tarts thing. My husband walked in with a box of some new tropical flavored ones about a week ago. "Oh, you wouldn't have liked them anyway." Really? Hi, have we met? Tropical fruit? omg yes please! I was tempted to beat him senseless with the box.

Happily you CAN have great gluten free red velvet cake as cakes are amongst the simplest things to make gluten free. :) Anyway, here is a good red velvet cake recipe: ://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/gluten-free-red-velvet-cake/. I have another in one of my books.

I believe someone posted a recipe for Pop Tarts on here not long ago.

love2travel Mentor

Welsh Rarebit on thick sourdough. However, I am going to try it on my own bread because I just love it so darned much! I'll make it work. And not just work - taste wonderful! :D

mushroom Proficient

Bruschetta - not just the bread, but the tomato too :(

Adalaide Mentor

Happily you CAN have great gluten free red velvet cake as cakes are amongst the simplest things to make gluten free. :) Anyway, here is a good red velvet cake recipe: ://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/gluten-free-red-velvet-cake/. I have another in one of my books.I believe someone posted a recipe for Pop Tarts on here not long ago.

You are my hero! After the disappointment I suffered with cookies I've been scared of cake but that looks heavenly. I did see the recipe for the Pop Tarts but it's more trouble than they're worth to me. I may change my mind after years without them.

love2travel Mentor

You are my hero! After the disappointment I suffered with cookies I've been scared of cake but that looks heavenly. I did see the recipe for the Pop Tarts but it's more trouble than they're worth to me. I may change my mind after years without them.

No problem. Honestly, cakes are even easier to make gluten free than cookies. Probably the easiest of all is brownies, then cakes and cupcakes and quick breads, then cookies...oh, and pastry is very simple to make - actually, even easier than gluten pastry because it doesn't fight back. It just sits there! :P

Archived