Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Do You Miss?

123 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm a chef that cooks gluten-free dishes from starters to desserts.

I'm not celiac myself but wanted to ask a question.

What is the one dish you miss because of being a celiac? It can be anything!

I ask this because I love cooking gluten-free dishes: sticky toffee puddings, raviolis bread and butter pudding, fresh pasta, fresh breads and so on.

But what I really want is your feedback instead of me guessing.

Thank you for your feedback,

Scott

Ads by Google:

I can't pick just one thing...

a really good pizza crust would be nice

a soft, non crumbly bun for a good burger

egg pasta

ravioli, manicotti

egg rolls..not rice paper rolls

and the holy grail..really good bread! :D

I'm not a chef but teach culinary classes and am obsessed with cooking and food. :D I can make most things gluten-free very well except for the following:

- buttery flaky croissants

- fabulous ciabatta with good chew

- phyllo and puff pastry (I miss making Beef Wellington, Steak and Ale Pie) but I do adapt

- soft puffy yeast doughnuts - I really dislike cake doughnuts

- very good chewy pretzels

- wonderful fresh pasta - my gluten-free homemade is pretty decent and to remedy lack of flavour I incorporate fresh herbs betweeen layers, spinach, butternut squash and so on.

- English muffins - have tried a few gluten-free commercial brands such as Kinnickinnik and they are deplorable!

- I can make a pretty mean pizza crust but really miss the wood-fired crusts in Europe. However, as we do have a wood-fired oven at our house in Croatia we are going to be doing a lot of practicing! Can't wait.

Currently I am perfecting buttermilk biscuits and scones.

Like you, I enjoy making Sticky Toffee Pudding and so on. I find it very easy to make gluten-free focaccia, cakes, cookies, squares, brownies and thankfully some of my favourite desserts such as creme brulee, panna cotta, semifreddo and pavlova and dacquoise are naturally gluten free.

I am a pretty picky scratch cook and tend to be a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen. When I make fresh pasta most people are all over it; however, I cannot be satisfied until it is perfect in my mind. :)

i miss foods

-----------------------

1: chicken in a biscuit crackers

2: life cereal

3: normel bread

i cant eat the same foods as my family does.

:huh:

My list is the same as love2travel's list, and I'll throw in sourdough french bread with that wonderful crust :D

I'm not a chef but teach culinary classes and am obsessed with cooking and food. :D I can make most things gluten-free very well except for the following:

- buttery flaky croissants

- fabulous ciabatta with good chew

- phyllo and puff pastry (I miss making Beef Wellington, Steak and Ale Pie) but I do adapt

The above three would be top on my list. I'll probably never be able to have even gluten-free versions however as croissants and puff pastry depend on layers of butter and I cannot have dairy or soy. Earth Balance soy free dairy free spread is good but it doesn't chill to the extent that butter does.

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.

I know what you mean! Triscuits have that pleasant textured crunch that is unique and goes so well with so many yummy things. Thanks a lot for bringing it up! Kidding. :lol:

CheezIts. I found some crackers that were not entirely unlike CheezIts. They had about the right texture but were lacking that disgustingly wonderful orange fake cheesy flavor!

mozzerella sticks

big, soft pretzels

onion rings

fried chicken

potstickers

mozzerella sticks

big, soft pretzels

onion rings

fried chicken

potstickers

Well, you're in luck! gluten-free mozzarella sticks and onion rings are easy to make and just as delicious. I know what you mean about soft pretzels, potstickers and fried chicken, though. Fried chicken can still be nearly as good, though.

I miss Subway and hamburgers from fish and chip shops!!!!!!!

I could go on forever.Here are a few things.

1. Real Beer

2. Real Bread

3. Pasta not made from corn or rice.

4. Apple pie

5. The ability to be able to eat where I want what I want anytime I want!

I could go on forever.Here are a few things.

1. Real Beer

2. Real Bread

3. Pasta not made from corn or rice.

4. Apple pie

5. The ability to be able to eat where I want what I want anytime I want!

Have you tried millet and buckwheat pasta combination? I cannot recall the brand name but it is the best gluten-free pasta I have tried by far. Vastly superior to icky corn and rice pasta. And I am extremely picky about food. Wait a minute - it is called King Soba and comes in a few flavours. Expensive but worth it. It has a nice texture and flavour.

What do I miss most?

- Really good bread, still warm with a crisp, chewy crust and soft middle.

- Pizza and pizza "bones" (the outer crust that people sometimes don't eat!! )

- flaky biscuits

- cornbread

- brownies

I have to quit. This is torture!!!!!

What do I miss most?

- Really good bread, still warm with a crisp, chewy crust and soft middle.

- Pizza and pizza "bones" (the outer crust that people sometimes don't eat!! )

- flaky biscuits

- cornbread

- brownies

I have to quit. This is torture!!!!!

Oh, boy, do I hear ya about the pizza 'bones'!!

as far as cornbread.... Gluten Free Pantry and Bob's Red Mill both have pretty good cornbread mixes. i used both of those last year over the holidays, and my cornbread loving- husband couldn't tell they were gluten-free!

Well, you're in luck! gluten-free mozzarella sticks and onion rings are easy to make and just as delicious. I know what you mean about soft pretzels, potstickers and fried chicken, though. Fried chicken can still be nearly as good, though.

i know :):D . But being a spousal caregiver living on a fixed income, i don't always have the time, energy, or means to do things like this. And the times that I attempted onion rings or fried chicken pre- gluten-free didn't come out too well. Plus, the OP was a chef asking for ideas of things to make gluten-free in a restruant- type setting, i was also thinking of things I miss being able to have the option of getting on the few times I am able to go out to eat. :D

Here's another one--- chicken (or other flavor) pot pie.

Oh, boy, do I hear ya about the pizza 'bones'!!

as far as cornbread.... Gluten Free Pantry and Bob's Red Mill both have pretty good cornbread mixes. i used both of those last year over the holidays, and my cornbread loving- husband couldn't tell they were gluten-free!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try them. My attempts to bake (and I LOVE to bake - was a home ec major) have had dismal results. Not only do I have to be gluten free, but also casein and egg free. The texture of my baked goods, so far, leaves a lot to be desired. But, I'll keep trying. Thanks, again. :D

i know :):D . But being a spousal caregiver living on a fixed income, i don't always have the time, energy, or means to do things like this. And the times that I attempted onion rings or fried chicken pre- gluten-free didn't come out too well. Plus, the OP was a chef asking for ideas of things to make gluten-free in a restruant- type setting, i was also thinking of things I miss being able to have the option of getting on the few times I am able to go out to eat. :D

Here's another one--- chicken (or other flavor) pot pie.

So sorry - I am so passionate about food and cooking and at times that shows TOO much! :huh: I need to reign myself in once in awhile... :lol:

I miss Subway !

I have to totally agree with this.

Yeast raised rolls is one of the things I am still having trouble making gluten free. Most of my other favorites have have been able to convert to gluten free.

Beignets with salt and cane syrup

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try them. My attempts to bake (and I LOVE to bake - was a home ec major) have had dismal results. Not only do I have to be gluten free, but also casein and egg free. The texture of my baked goods, so far, leaves a lot to be desired. But, I'll keep trying. Thanks, again. :D

I can't remember if the items/ recipes I suggested are both casein and egg free-- I'd have to look. But if they are, or can be adapted to be, they should work for you. I, too have struggled with gluten-free baking (and I don't have the limitations you do), and the cornbread i've made is one of the few things that has seemed to turn out well!

So sorry - I am so passionate about food and cooking and at times that shows TOO much! :huh: I need to reign myself in once in awhile... :lol:

No worries, gilr!!1

I love that you are so passionate about it!! I and many others here learn alot from your posts!!! I wish I could put more time into cooking myself, but i can't, so I am more than happy to learn from those like you who are able to!

some more I thought of-

anything 'mexican' from a fast food place or restraunt-- taco salads, empanadas, chimichangas, enchilada's, burritos, churros. (I had to take a blind friend thru the drive thru at Taco Time today, can you tell?)

also, french bread. elephant ears. funnel cakes. (helk, twinkies, too! :)). ice cream sandwhiches. balklava...

I miss so much, but most are things I never ate in huge quantities anyhow. I think it's just that I can't have them anymore that makes me want them so badly.

Subway (tuna hoagie... loved their bread)

A Burger King bacon double cheeseburger

McDonald's Big Mac and their Sausage Egg McMuffin

REAL french bread

REAL chocolate chip cookies made from the recipe on the back of Nestles morsels

My homemade challah bread

Real, regular beer

I baked chocolate chip cookies for 38 years before having to be gluten-free and the taste is so imprinted on my brain that no gluten-free recipe has remotely measured up. It's just not the same so I don't eat them anymore (sniff).

I miss puff pastry. I've seen a few gluten-free versions, but holy cow, is it labor intensive. I miss phyllo dough. I used to love to bake. Not so much anymore.

Beignets with salt and cane syrup

Oh, man, yes. And churros and profiteroles.

Salted caramel tart with shortbread crust. I can make it gluten-free decently but not perfectly.

Tarte Tatin.