122 replies to this topic

#16 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Well, you're in luck! gluten-free mozzarella sticks and onion rings are easy to make and just as delicious. I know what you mean about soft pretzels, potstickers and fried chicken, though. Fried chicken can still be nearly as good, though.

i know :) :D . But being a spousal caregiver living on a fixed income, i don't always have the time, energy, or means to do things like this. And the times that I attempted onion rings or fried chicken pre- gluten-free didn't come out too well. Plus, the OP was a chef asking for ideas of things to make gluten-free in a restruant- type setting, i was also thinking of things I miss being able to have the option of getting on the few times I am able to go out to eat. :D

Here's another one--- chicken (or other flavor) pot pie.
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:15 AM

Oh, boy, do I hear ya about the pizza 'bones'!!

as far as cornbread.... Gluten Free Pantry and Bob's Red Mill both have pretty good cornbread mixes. i used both of those last year over the holidays, and my cornbread loving- husband couldn't tell they were gluten-free!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try them. My attempts to bake (and I LOVE to bake - was a home ec major) have had dismal results. Not only do I have to be gluten free, but also casein and egg free. The texture of my baked goods, so far, leaves a lot to be desired. But, I'll keep trying. Thanks, again. :D

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#18 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

i know :) :D . But being a spousal caregiver living on a fixed income, i don't always have the time, energy, or means to do things like this. And the times that I attempted onion rings or fried chicken pre- gluten-free didn't come out too well. Plus, the OP was a chef asking for ideas of things to make gluten-free in a restruant- type setting, i was also thinking of things I miss being able to have the option of getting on the few times I am able to go out to eat. :D

Here's another one--- chicken (or other flavor) pot pie.

So sorry - I am so passionate about food and cooking and at times that shows TOO much! :huh: I need to reign myself in once in awhile... :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#19 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

I miss Subway !

I have to totally agree with this.
Yeast raised rolls is one of the things I am still having trouble making gluten free. Most of my other favorites have have been able to convert to gluten free.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#20 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

Beignets with salt and cane syrup

#21 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try them. My attempts to bake (and I LOVE to bake - was a home ec major) have had dismal results. Not only do I have to be gluten free, but also casein and egg free. The texture of my baked goods, so far, leaves a lot to be desired. But, I'll keep trying. Thanks, again. :D

I can't remember if the items/ recipes I suggested are both casein and egg free-- I'd have to look. But if they are, or can be adapted to be, they should work for you. I, too have struggled with gluten-free baking (and I don't have the limitations you do), and the cornbread i've made is one of the few things that has seemed to turn out well!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#22 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

So sorry - I am so passionate about food and cooking and at times that shows TOO much! :huh: I need to reign myself in once in awhile... :lol:

No worries, gilr!!1
I love that you are so passionate about it!! I and many others here learn alot from your posts!!! I wish I could put more time into cooking myself, but i can't, so I am more than happy to learn from those like you who are able to!

#23 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

some more I thought of-

anything 'mexican' from a fast food place or restraunt-- taco salads, empanadas, chimichangas, enchilada's, burritos, churros. (I had to take a blind friend thru the drive thru at Taco Time today, can you tell?)

also, french bread. elephant ears. funnel cakes. (helk, twinkies, too! :)). ice cream sandwhiches. balklava...

#24 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

I miss so much, but most are things I never ate in huge quantities anyhow. I think it's just that I can't have them anymore that makes me want them so badly.

Subway (tuna hoagie... loved their bread)
A Burger King bacon double cheeseburger
McDonald's Big Mac and their Sausage Egg McMuffin

REAL french bread
REAL chocolate chip cookies made from the recipe on the back of Nestles morsels
My homemade challah bread
Real, regular beer

I baked chocolate chip cookies for 38 years before having to be gluten-free and the taste is so imprinted on my brain that no gluten-free recipe has remotely measured up. It's just not the same so I don't eat them anymore (sniff).

I miss puff pastry. I've seen a few gluten-free versions, but holy cow, is it labor intensive. I miss phyllo dough. I used to love to bake. Not so much anymore.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#25 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

Beignets with salt and cane syrup

Oh, man, yes. And churros and profiteroles.
Salted caramel tart with shortbread crust. I can make it gluten-free decently but not perfectly.
Tarte Tatin.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#26 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

This is what I miss most - a $35,000 dessert...
http://ca.shine.yaho...s-them-all.html
:lol: I'm not a chocolate fan but I do love champagne and caviar!

#27 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.

OMG! I ate an entire box of Triscuits in 3 days prior to my biopsy because the doctor was pretty sure I was going to be going gluten-free after it...oh, I miss that crunchy salty treat.

#28 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Besides all of the above:

Sushi - I'd like to be able to get a california roll and a shrimp tempura roll at a restaurant or at the grocery. I know I can make it all myself, but sometimes you just want it done for you. I'm also not that big a fan of nigiri.

Good bread - I worked in a french bakery for 6 years before being diagnosed. So I'm a little jaded.

Beer - anything you can't see through. The first person to create a gluten-free porter should be thrown a parade.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#29 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Being only 7 days free I'm still limited to misses.

Thomas English Muffin
Coors Light (Red Bridge is OK)

#30 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

bread bowl (s)

why, oh why, did my husband today that he had soup in a bread bowl for lunch a couple of days ago.... :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: