122 replies to this topic

#31 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

Beer - anything you can't see through. The first person to create a gluten-free porter should be thrown a parade.

Try the Belgian imported Green's Endeavor dubbel dark ale. It's pricey but it's an honest-to-god dark beer. http://www.merchantd...gluten-free.php

People have mentioned some of my favorites. Crusty French baguette, Triscuits, pizza with REAL crust (and why must all gluten-free pizza be Chicago style??? New York style gluten-free pizza, please!) I have others to add though.

1. Knishes with potato filling.
2. Fresh gnocci or ravioli with interesting filling. I can get dried gluten-free pasta with no fillings but if I want fresh I have to make it, which is a pain.
3. Still-warm sopapillas with honey.
4. Beer battered onion rings. (Separate fryer and gluten-free beer, please.)
5. Pastry. I MISS going to a bakery and getting cake slices with the thin layers and fruit or cream filling in-between, napoleons, cream puffs, eclairs, or cannoli. I could probably make them gluten-free but it's a ton of work.
6. Calzones
7. New York street pretzels. You know the ones I mean. They come from the carts and taste slightly smoky from the charcoal fire, have the big chunks of rock salt on them, and you eat them with yellow mustard.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 peeptoad

peeptoad

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

I thought I would miss pizza, but I don't miss it nearly as much as I supposed I would.

For me I miss a big old crusty, baguette the most... used to love it with brie or camembert, or just dipped in olive oil. :(

#33 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

And, beer-battered fish & chips. I miss that too... :(

#34 aeraen

aeraen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

Convenience. (I know, you can't help me there). I can pretty much make and adapt anything I want, but I miss grabbing a burger and fries on the road while on a day trip to another city. Or sampling that city's specialty while on a tour. Which brings me to:

Eating out. Without having to explain celiac disease in detail to every server (which is why I seldom eat out). This, of course, is exactly what you are trying to help with, and for that I want to thank you. Please tell us the name of your restaurant and the city it is in, because I would love to visit it someday!

ETA: If your city DOES have a specialty (like Chicago deep dish pizza, or Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches) please see if you can adapt it to gluten-free. THAT could even get you a spot in the local newspaper or, dare I say, a gluten-free magazine. :)

#35 deltron80

deltron80

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

I must agree with the people who enjoy fried foods...

Fried Chicken
Fish & Chips
Corn Dogs
French Fries
Fried Dough
Chicken Nuggets
Gyros (on a pita)
Chicken Parm

If I ever slip it will be someone offering me KFC lol... or this really good thin crust pizza place in my town that's to die for... <_<

Lucky for me I don't have much of a sweet tooth B)

#36 samie

samie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

I miss calzones, real italian new york type pizza, corn dogs, fresh preztels, and italian bread.

#37 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

While in the frozen food section yesterday I passed bagels and wished for second that I could have one. I so used to love a sausage patty with an egg on a onion bagel with cream cheese for breakfast!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#38 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

I miss Vermicelli (angel hair) pasta, as well as tortellini. A good tortellini is a wonderful thing... (I'm not Italian, but I love Italian food.)
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#39 CreativeKat

CreativeKat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

I think the thing I miss the most is perogies!
I've made a perogi casserole which is mashed potatoes layered with cheese and lasagna noodles which is totally yummy...but not exactly the same...
I tried making my own perogies also...but the dough is pretty hard to work with to get them to stay together...:S

#40 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

Try the Belgian imported Green's Endeavor dubbel dark ale. It's pricey but it's an honest-to-god dark beer. http://www.merchantd...gluten-free.php

People have mentioned some of my favorites. Crusty French baguette, Triscuits, pizza with REAL crust (and why must all gluten-free pizza be Chicago style??? New York style gluten-free pizza, please!) I have others to add though.

1. Knishes with potato filling.
2. Fresh gnocci or ravioli with interesting filling. I can get dried gluten-free pasta with no fillings but if I want fresh I have to make it, which is a pain.

I'v had Conte's frozen, gluten-free,WF,CF - gnocchi,ravioli and spinach ravioli, all very good. Check out Conte's online maybe you can order them. Our local pasta store "Pastosa" carrys that brand but also has fresh stuffed shells, ravioli, spinach ravioli. I've tried both fresh raviolis and making the shells for Christmas. They ship anywhere.

This year I missing pastiera and struffoli. Aleia's make a great almond horn got them last week. Enjoy the Holidays.

#41 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

My DD misses Auntie's Anne's pretzels and gold fish crackers.

#42 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

fettucine alfredo, breadsticks, hot noodles with any kind of topping...
tortillas, pita bread, dumplings......... it pains me to think of all the
foods I love that I cannot have.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#43 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

For almost six years I asked to eat at Lucky Wishbone (local fried food chain in Tucson). Never, ever ever ever got it.

Hubs always made an excuse - no...too heavy, too greasy, will give him indigestion.

Mind, he RAVED about eating it as a kid/college.

So, a few weeks before I MOVE TO TUCSON AND COULD EAT LUCKY WISHBONE WHENEVER I WANT I'm told to "try gluten-free".

So, I am now a resident of Tucson and don't know what the heck Lucky Wishbone tastes like.

And I have no idea why I'm bitter about something I've never tried, except my 9 year-old RAVES about it, since hubby took HIM.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#44 egallag

egallag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Pop Tarts. I know that seems silly, but I really miss Pop Tarts.:(

And Bread...good bread. I have not found a GOOD gluten-free bread.

#45 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

I had months to make peace with mostly cutting out fried foods. (stupid useless gallbladder) The celiac thing kind of blindsided me since neither my doctor or me suspected it. (diagnosed by a total fluke) So I may miss chicken nuggets, mozz sticks and onion rings, but there's no point learning to make things I really shouldn't be eating anyway.

I made this amazing artisan french bread. Dense but still somehow airy, melt in your mouth, close your eyes in ecstasy bread. A raved about staple of Christmas gift baskets. It may be years until I can resist temptation enough to make it for gift baskets.

Red velvet cake. Quite possibly the second most amazing dessert in existence. (Nothing can top tiramisu, my first real baking project after mastering pie crust will be lady fingers.)

Grilled cheese. Okay, so sure I can get a knife, fight with a frozen loaf of Udi's for 5 minutes trying to pry 2 slices off, then defrost it, then slap together a sandwich. But frankly, it just isn't the same.

I totally get the Pop Tarts thing. My husband walked in with a box of some new tropical flavored ones about a week ago. "Oh, you wouldn't have liked them anyway." Really? Hi, have we met? Tropical fruit? omg yes please! I was tempted to beat him senseless with the box.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: