This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Miss?

celiacchef

dani nero Community Regular

Nutella is most definitely gluten free! And there are many donut recipes out there.

:-0 ... :-0 ... :-0

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
USF1970 Apprentice

The above three would be top on my list. I'll probably never be able to have even gluten-free versions however as croissants and puff pastry depend on layers of butter and I cannot have dairy or soy. Earth Balance soy free dairy free spread is good but it doesn't chill to the extent that butter does.

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.

I miss great flaky biscuits w/gravy (can make the gravy but not the biscuits), egg noodles, condensed mushroom soup, dumplings,edible pie crusts, fried fish, hush puppies......the list can go on and on. I'm so absolutely SICK of everything I eat that I'm just about done w/food....eating a lot of salads and nutritional drinks.

USF1970 Apprentice

Doughnuts..........definitely. The ones i buy feel like lead in my stomach.

ndw3363 Contributor

Right now I'm craving Chinese food - Chicken with garlic sauce and a giant EGG ROLL!!! But that's probably because I just started taking soy out of my diet. As soon as I stop having something, my craving for that something goes into OVERdrive!! Although just thinking about it makes my face feel greasy - I always hated how I felt about 30 minutes after eating greasy chinese food. I'm hoping to bring soy back one day...because the thought of never going out for sushi again makes me cry a little.

pixiestargirl Newbie

The above three would be top on my list. I'll probably never be able to have even gluten-free versions however as croissants and puff pastry depend on layers of butter and I cannot have dairy or soy. Earth Balance soy free dairy free spread is good but it doesn't chill to the extent that butter does.

Also if anyone can make a gluten-free Triscuit or Shredded wheat they are a genius. One of the few processed things I miss--mainly for the texture is Triscuits. I've looked and have not found even any regular recipes for duplicating Triscuits, let alone gluten free ones.

Triscuits and the jumbo Ritz crackers were my absolute favourite snacks. Those come pretty high up on the list of things I miss.

Walnut crunch donuts from Tim Horton's, also.

come dance with me Enthusiast

The only thing I can't make or buy anywhere is English muffins, oyt of what we used to eat. I really want to find some!

xraylady65 Newbie

i have not found a good saltine cracker to put in my soup.... I love my soups and saltines.... cant find a good replacement

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RuskitD Rookie

LOL at the pizza bones!

I only eat pizza about twice a year. I had just perfected my own wheat homemade crust last summer.

But I find myself craving pizza

Deep dish though.

Scott, may I say BLESS YOU for your caring efforts!

mbrookes Community Regular

Hey, USF1970.Pacific makes a condensed cream of mushroom, cr of chicken and cr of aparagus soup that are virtually twins to the canned Campbell's. I use them in casseroles all the time.

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey, USF1970.Pacific makes a condensed cream of mushroom, cr of chicken and cr of aparagus soup that are virtually twins to the canned Campbell's. I use them in casseroles all the time.

Hey, thanks for this tip--my Mom was looking for these! :)

Karen was right; even if the chef never comes back, we are seeing what people miss and pointing them towards the recipes and products.

cool beans B)

faithforlife Apprentice

Oreos. I feel sad about Oreos.

mushroom Proficient

I have decided I really miss tripe!! I can't have tripe :( Boo Hoo. And HaHa :D No more tripe for this gal.

love2travel Mentor

Do a wee bit of googling and you'll find tons of recipes to make your own that are far yummier than bought! They are fun to make and even better to eat. :P

Gemini Experienced

I'm not a chef but teach culinary classes and am obsessed with cooking and food. :D I can make most things gluten-free very well except for the following:

- buttery flaky croissants

- fabulous ciabatta with good chew

- phyllo and puff pastry (I miss making Beef Wellington, Steak and Ale Pie) but I do adapt

- soft puffy yeast doughnuts - I really dislike cake doughnuts

- very good chewy pretzels

- wonderful fresh pasta - my gluten-free homemade is pretty decent and to remedy lack of flavour I incorporate fresh herbs betweeen layers, spinach, butternut squash and so on.

- English muffins - have tried a few gluten-free commercial brands such as Kinnickinnik and they are deplorable!

- I can make a pretty mean pizza crust but really miss the wood-fired crusts in Europe. However, as we do have a wood-fired oven at our house in Croatia we are going to be doing a lot of practicing! Can't wait.

Currently I am perfecting buttermilk biscuits and scones.

Like you, I enjoy making Sticky Toffee Pudding and so on. I find it very easy to make gluten-free focaccia, cakes, cookies, squares, brownies and thankfully some of my favourite desserts such as creme brulee, panna cotta, semifreddo and pavlova and dacquoise are naturally gluten free.

I am a pretty picky scratch cook and tend to be a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen. When I make fresh pasta most people are all over it; however, I cannot be satisfied until it is perfect in my mind. :)

You people need to stop talking about all this delicious food.....I WANT SOME!!!!! :D Otherwise, I shall show up at your house in Croatia for some wood fired pizza! :D

Scott......can I hire you as a chef? OMG...I love Sticky Toffee Pudding! ;)

kareng Grand Master

Have you tried the Kinnikuk brand? I think they are called K-toos? My gluten eating kid likes them better than Oreos.

IrishHeart Veteran

You people need to stop talking about all this delicious food.....I WANT SOME!!!!! :D Otherwise, I shall show up at your house in Croatia for some wood fired pizza! :D

Scott......can I hire you as a chef? OMG...I love Sticky Toffee Pudding! ;)

The Chef (the OP) has never come back to talk with us. :(

So we are just telling each other our desires, it seems. :)

I know how to make sticky toffee pudding...come to my house.

love2travel Mentor

The Chef (the OP) has never come back to talk with us. :(

So we are just telling each other our desires, it seems. :)

I know how to make sticky toffee pudding...come to my house.

If you really want to OD on Sticky Toffee Pudding, go to IH's house and then come over to mine as I love to make it as well. Easy peasy. Just dress warmly as we are in the midst of a cold blizzard. ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

If you really want to OD on Sticky Toffee Pudding, go to IH's house and then come over to mine as I love to make it as well. Easy peasy. Just dress warmly as we are in the midst of a cold blizzard. ;)

Good lawd, LOVEY!

is it STILL snowing up there?

love2travel Mentor

Good lawd, LOVEY!

is it STILL snowing up there?

Our winter has been the mildest ever recorded. EVER! But our mild is probably too cold for many others. Anyway, our snowfall has also been the lowest ever. Today changed that. Tonight is to get down to -27F but that is pretty normal. Doesn't mean we have to like it! :angry:

kareng Grand Master

Yes. " the Chef" hasn't come back to see what we think. Probably decided he didn't really want to cook for us. :blink:

However, this thread has been fun. Some people have mentioned things they miss and others have provided a recipe or a product that would do the trick. After 2 years gluten-free, I don't really miss much old gluten foods. I miss the ease & spontaneity of going out to eat. I miss Cheezits or goldfish crackers. I have heard certain ones are good, but when I have the real thing being consumed in massive quantities by teens in my house, they just don't measure up. The sweet thing is, if I told them it bothers me, they wouldn't eat them or would keep them in the basement so I wouldn't see them.

:)

IrishHeart Veteran

I miss the ease & spontaneity of going out to eat.

There. That's it for me, too. :( I said that about 3 pages back myself.

No "recipe" can fix that longing, however.

We need someone to open totally dedicated fast gluten-free food joints all over the country.

I know it can be done, but I do not have that kind of money.

faithforlife Apprentice

I will try out a recipe for gluten-free oreos. The gluten-free ones in store are $5 a bag! I do like them Ive just only bought them twice. Today I tried a doughnut recipe. What a mess! And they weren't pretty. But they tasted great!

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I'm not a chef but teach culinary classes and am obsessed with cooking and food. :D I can make most things gluten-free very well except for the following:

- buttery flaky croissants

- fabulous ciabatta with good chew

- phyllo and puff pastry (I miss making Beef Wellington, Steak and Ale Pie) but I do adapt

- soft puffy yeast doughnuts - I really dislike cake doughnuts

- very good chewy pretzels

- wonderful fresh pasta - my gluten-free homemade is pretty decent and to remedy lack of flavour I incorporate fresh herbs betweeen layers, spinach, butternut squash and so on.

- English muffins - have tried a few gluten-free commercial brands such as Kinnickinnik and they are deplorable!

- I can make a pretty mean pizza crust but really miss the wood-fired crusts in Europe. However, as we do have a wood-fired oven at our house in Croatia we are going to be doing a lot of practicing! Can't wait.

Currently I am perfecting buttermilk biscuits and scones.

Like you, I enjoy making Sticky Toffee Pudding and so on. I find it very easy to make gluten-free focaccia, cakes, cookies, squares, brownies and thankfully some of my favourite desserts such as creme brulee, panna cotta, semifreddo and pavlova and dacquoise are naturally gluten free.

I am a pretty picky scratch cook and tend to be a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen. When I make fresh pasta most people are all over it; however, I cannot be satisfied until it is perfect in my mind. :)

Can you post your pizza crust recipe?

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

I miss convenience--just being able to walk in some place and order whatever I want.

-Red velvet cake

-Cinnamon chip bread (Great Harvest Bakery was SO yummy)

-Random flavored pancakes from IHOP

-Fresh, warm, bread.

-Croissants

-Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

I was actually never a huge fan of pasta as a kid. I ate pasta because I really wanted extra red sauce or whatever it was. As a kid, I was extremely picky about that. Plain pasta (or dry bread for that matter) made me gag.

Ryniev Apprentice

Potstickers - dumplings, fried egg rolls

Archived