122 replies to this topic

#46 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

I had months to make peace with mostly cutting out fried foods. (stupid useless gallbladder) The celiac thing kind of blindsided me since neither my doctor or me suspected it. (diagnosed by a total fluke) So I may miss chicken nuggets, mozz sticks and onion rings, but there's no point learning to make things I really shouldn't be eating anyway.

I made this amazing artisan french bread. Dense but still somehow airy, melt in your mouth, close your eyes in ecstasy bread. A raved about staple of Christmas gift baskets. It may be years until I can resist temptation enough to make it for gift baskets.

Red velvet cake. Quite possibly the second most amazing dessert in existence. (Nothing can top tiramisu, my first real baking project after mastering pie crust will be lady fingers.)

Grilled cheese. Okay, so sure I can get a knife, fight with a frozen loaf of Udi's for 5 minutes trying to pry 2 slices off, then defrost it, then slap together a sandwich. But frankly, it just isn't the same.

I totally get the Pop Tarts thing. My husband walked in with a box of some new tropical flavored ones about a week ago. "Oh, you wouldn't have liked them anyway." Really? Hi, have we met? Tropical fruit? omg yes please! I was tempted to beat him senseless with the box.

Happily you CAN have great gluten free red velvet cake as cakes are amongst the simplest things to make gluten free. :) Anyway, here is a good red velvet cake recipe: ://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/gluten-free-red-velvet-cake/. I have another in one of my books.

I believe someone posted a recipe for Pop Tarts on here not long ago.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Welsh Rarebit on thick sourdough. However, I am going to try it on my own bread because I just love it so darned much! I'll make it work. And not just work - taste wonderful! :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#48 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Bruschetta - not just the bread, but the tomato too :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#49 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Happily you CAN have great gluten free red velvet cake as cakes are amongst the simplest things to make gluten free. :) Anyway, here is a good red velvet cake recipe: ://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/gluten-free-red-velvet-cake/. I have another in one of my books.I believe someone posted a recipe for Pop Tarts on here not long ago.

You are my hero! After the disappointment I suffered with cookies I've been scared of cake but that looks heavenly. I did see the recipe for the Pop Tarts but it's more trouble than they're worth to me. I may change my mind after years without them.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#50 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

You are my hero! After the disappointment I suffered with cookies I've been scared of cake but that looks heavenly. I did see the recipe for the Pop Tarts but it's more trouble than they're worth to me. I may change my mind after years without them.

No problem. Honestly, cakes are even easier to make gluten free than cookies. Probably the easiest of all is brownies, then cakes and cupcakes and quick breads, then cookies...oh, and pastry is very simple to make - actually, even easier than gluten pastry because it doesn't fight back. It just sits there! :P

#51 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

I am really missing pizza, after a few years of no dairy and no tomatoes. I could probably manage to make and allergen-free crust but what to put on it? All the cheese alternatives are out due to other allergens-soy and tapioca. No nightshades so no red pepper sauce. No matter what it would be more of a foccacia than a pizza. I could make an olive an rosemary foccacia but just not the same without a gooey or saucy element. Some kind of dipping sauce for my foccacia? maybe a balsamic and oil might be ok but still not pizza.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#52 egallag

egallag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

Grilled cheese. Okay, so sure I can get a knife, fight with a frozen loaf of Udi's for 5 minutes trying to pry 2 slices off, then defrost it, then slap together a sandwich. But frankly, it just isn't the same.

I totally get the Pop Tarts thing. My husband walked in with a box of some new tropical flavored ones about a week ago. "Oh, you wouldn't have liked them anyway." Really? Hi, have we met? Tropical fruit? omg yes please! I was tempted to beat him senseless with the box.

Had to really laugh out loud at the Udi's comment. Did this just the other day, I thought, let me grab a piece of toast on my way out, opened the bag could not get a single slice, put it back in the freezer and grabbed a rice cake.
And I applaud your restraint with not beating your husband senseless :)

#53 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Ditto on the frozen bread ordeal. I actually had to get stitches in my thumb one Thanksgiving from trying to separate the slices. All I wanted was to make some breadcrumbs!
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#54 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I think the thing I miss the most is perogies!
I've made a perogi casserole which is mashed potatoes layered with cheese and lasagna noodles which is totally yummy...but not exactly the same...
I tried making my own perogies also...but the dough is pretty hard to work with to get them to stay together...:S

Good news! Simona posted a pierogis recipe in the recipe section! Check it out:

http://www.celiac.co...-roasted-onion/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#55 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

You know, guys....I read through this whole thread (and felt a little bit sad, truth be told) but I also realized there is almost always a "plan B" for most of these foods and ways to make them taste good.

I have to say that I completely agree with meatball man's statement--he said he misses the convenience of eating whatever he wants, wherever he wants. That's what I miss, too. It is hard for a major foodie (as I once once)to give up tasting everything from the simple to the exotic with reckless abandon and then coming home to recreate it. I miss the spontaneity of just getting in the car and eating at cozy diners on back country roads while we are out taking photographs. We need a chain of "gluten free eateries" to spring up across the country and we'll all be golden. B)

That's it. That's what I miss the most. :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#56 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Just wondering....um, where is the original poster?

Chef??

Are you coming back? You have not been back since this first post.

These sweet people have poured their hearts out telling you what they miss.

Hello?? :blink:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#57 Blackee

Blackee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi Scott,

What's the best dish that you cook? Do you share any of your recipes?

#58 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hi Scott,

What's the best dish that you cook? Do you share any of your recipes?

He hasn't been back since Oct. This forum doesn't allow advertising in posts so perhaps there is no point for him to come back and try to sell us a book or something else.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#59 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Seitan. I can make/find gluten free versions of anything else. But seitan is basically pure gluten :(

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#60 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

I think the chef has abandoned us.

He has not been back since this first post back in October '11

so we may be talking to the air at this point. :huh:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: