This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Miss?

celiacchef

Ryniev Apprentice

-Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

So delicious makes a coconut milk cream called Chocolate Chip cookie dough that is gluten-free! It's not cheap but it's really, really good.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
love2travel Mentor

Potstickers - dumplings, fried egg rolls

You and me both. However, you can make your own potstickers! They are incredible. Sounds as though you are really into Asian cooking so you would really like "The Gluten Free Asian Kitchen". Excellent scratch recipes including your own nuoc cham, teriyaki sauce, potstickers...

Ryniev Apprentice

You and me both. However, you can make your own potstickers! They are incredible. Sounds as though you are really into Asian cooking so you would really like "The Gluten Free Asian Kitchen". Excellent scratch recipes including your own nuoc cham, teriyaki sauce, potstickers...

Thanks for the tip! I'll definately be looking into that book.

gfdig2004 Newbie

Pizza Hut pizza; Annie's soft pretzels with cheese; Turkey Sub; I can go on and on. New York style Bagels.

BeFree Contributor

"I think the chef has abandoned us. He has not been back since this first post back in October '11 so we may be talking to the air at this point."

LOL at the mysterious disappearing Chef.

I miss Taco Bell. :(

That cheap, junky goodness that reminded me of happy high school and college days. There's no substitute for that.

Amby Newbie

You guys are making me drool when I read what you miss lol!

Sparky84 Newbie

I miss the simplicity. I used to make many recipes using things like prepackaged cresent rolls etc. It's just harder now to make the same things. And of course going to parties or restraunts has many challenges.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BeFree Contributor

"I miss the simplicity. I used to make many recipes using things like prepackaged cresent rolls etc. It's just harder now to make the same things. And of course going to parties or restraunts has many challenges."

I hear ya...it takes a lot more planning. Brown rice is now (by necessity) a huge staple of my diet, and it take 45 minutes (!) to cook it the old fashioned way.

Parties/restaurants are the hardest for me too. I never realized how much I depended on sharing food to bond with people, until now. It's so awkward. They all say, "This is good!" And you say, "It looks good!" Uh, yeah.

mushroom Proficient

I miss that if you want to bake a pie or cheesecake with a specific cookie crust, you can't just buy the cookies or take them out of the pantry -- no, first you have to bake the darned cookies!!! :blink:

IrishHeart Veteran

Brown rice is now (by necessity) a huge staple of my diet, and it take 45 minutes (!) to cook it the old fashioned way.

I gave that up when hubs was shopping and discovered Success Brown Rice 10 minute boil-in bags. This was not something I thought would be tasty at all---but I admit it, it works. ;) When you just do not have time, you may wish to use them. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I miss that if you want to bake a pie or cheesecake with a specific cookie crust, you can't just buy the cookies or take them out of the pantry -- no, first you have to bake the darned cookies!!! :blink:

Total PITA.... :rolleyes:

For graham crust in my cheesecake, I use the Grainless Baker Graham Cookies --run through the mini- chopper ---add melted butter :)

mushroom Proficient

Total PITA.... :rolleyes:

For graham crust in my cheesecake, I use the Grainless Baker Graham Cookies --run through the mini- chopper ---add melted butter :)

Durn! Dem have bean flowers :rolleyes:

IrishHeart Veteran

Durn! Dem have bean flowers :rolleyes:

aw, crappers, I fergetted --sorry. :(

I don't do those myself right now. Garbanzo/garfava bean and I do not get along for some reason. mebbe in time?

love2travel Mentor

Not a dish but an ingredient that cannot be replicated. Authentic Japanese panko crumbs. Sure, you can make your own crumbs from bread heels, etc. but not panko. There is nothing else like them. Kinnikinnick sells their own version but they are just fine crumbs that are a far cry from panko. I rarely do breading but they certainly would come in handy from time to time.

Please tell me if anyone sees authentic gluten free panko crumbs!

BeFree Contributor

"I gave that up when hubs was shopping and discovered Success Brown Rice 10 minute boil-in bags. This was not something I thought would be tasty at all---but I admit it, it works. When you just do not have time, you may wish to use them."

Oh, those are gluten-free? I just haven't ventured much into exploring which packaged foods are safe or not, I've been sticking with the basic ingredients for ease of shopping. Thanks for the tip.

IrishHeart Veteran

Not a dish but an ingredient that cannot be replicated. Authentic Japanese panko crumbs. Sure, you can make your own crumbs from bread heels, etc. but not panko. There is nothing else like them. Kinnikinnick sells their own version but they are just fine crumbs that are a far cry from panko. I rarely do breading but they certainly would come in handy from time to time.

Please tell me if anyone sees authentic gluten free panko crumbs!

Glad I looked at this thread this morning! First quick rice, now Panko crumbs. :)

Jeff Nathan Creations makes All Natural, Certified gluten-free, DF PANKO flakes.

I found them in a Whole Foods in Florida while vacationing. (we do not have one where I live and let me say these stores are a celiac's paradise! :lol: )

It's a product of Israel, Manufactured for distribution by HKS Marketing, Bayonne NJ.

Karen was right. Even if the Chef who started this thread never comes back, we can help each other find what we need. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

"I gave that up when hubs was shopping and discovered Success Brown Rice 10 minute boil-in bags. This was not something I thought would be tasty at all---but I admit it, it works. When you just do not have time, you may wish to use them."

Oh, those are gluten-free? I just haven't ventured much into exploring which packaged foods are safe or not, I've been sticking with the basic ingredients for ease of shopping. Thanks for the tip.

Glad I could help. :)

Get yourself a copy of Cecelia's Marketplace gluten-free Shopping Guide.

She also has a gluten-free/DF/Soy free guide, too---which really helped hubs and me when I was first DXed and I could barely think, let alone create a shopping list. :blink: I could not tolerate dairy or soy either back then.

We no longer need it--- as we use minimal packaged foods and have become more adept at label reading. ( We passed it on to another celiac or I would have gladly mailed you ours. ;) )

There's a gluten-free/DF version, and a "plain" gluten-free version too!

love2travel Mentor

Glad I looked at this thread this morning! First quick rice, now Panko crumbs. :)

Jeff Nathan Creations makes All Natural, Certified gluten-free, DF PANKO flakes.

I found them in a Whole Foods in Florida while vacationing. (we do not have one where I live and let me say these stores are a celiac's paradise! :lol: )

It's a product of Israel, Manufactured for distribution by HKS Marketing, Bayonne NJ.

Karen was right. Even if the Chef who started this thread never comes back, we can help each other find what we need. :)

You are so right! Thread starters may not be thread continuers but we can be! :P

I wonder if those are true panko crumbs. It would be interesting to find out - the picture does not really look like it but it is hard to tell. I will look into it. I am officially now on a gluten-free panko finding mission. The nearest Whole Foods is literally probably about a 12-hour drive but I hear that a city only about 8 hours away may be getting one! ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

You are so right! Thread starters may not be thread continuers but we can be! :P

I wonder if those are true panko crumbs. It would be interesting to find out - the picture does not really look like it but it is hard to tell. I will look into it. I am officially now on a gluten-free panko finding mission. The nearest Whole Foods is literally probably about a 12-hour drive but I hear that a city only about 8 hours away may be getting one! ;)

The chef makes regular Panko crumbs and he came out with these gluten-free/Kosher ones to rave reviews.

It may be as best as it gets, hon. ;)

You can probably order them off the internet, but if you want, you know I will find some and mail them to you. I managed to make it this far in the car--1500 miles-- (I do not have to tell you about painful travel) and I can surely get to the post office. :lol:

BeFree Contributor

Thank you Irish Heart, I got some Success Rice at the store today. Very convenient as they're four to a box and they can get through a busy week of dinners for me. Thanks!

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you Irish Heart, I got some Success Rice at the store today. Very convenient as they're four to a box and they can get through a busy week of dinners for me. Thanks!

You bet, hon. ;) I personally LOATHE waiting for long-cooking brown rice to cook and every single time, it invariably bubbles over and I have to clean up the mess (except for my risotto, which never does, but then, I am watching it like a hawk. :lol: )

Glad it helps you save time! They have larger bags, too--marked Family Size.

anabananakins Explorer

Fun thread! The best bit for me is realising that reading through all these lists of awesome foods no longer makes me want to throw myself on the floor sobbing. Score! It'll be 2 years in June.

I miss the spontaneity too. Trying to find a restaurant for a birthday dinner has been a bit of a pain.

Actual foods:

Ovalteenies

They were my favourite as a little kid (a staple at the school tuckshop) and I rediscovered them a few years before I went gluten free. Sigh.

Lebanese bread

Turkish bread

Cherry danish

Huh. It was way harder to think of things than it used to be.

mushroom Proficient

Huh. It was way harder to think of things than it used to be.

Happily, it gets harder all the time ;)

Archived