This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nausea That Resolves With Eating Protein

pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Okay, I don't know what it but it happens.

In the beginning of gluten-free, I'd feel nauseous after eating something sugary/fatty like cake.

Now I feel sick if I eat something too sugary - like a breakfast of gluten-free granola (seeds, nuts, dry fruit, honey sweetened corn puffs) on a too empty stomach. Resolves when I eat a heavy protein or fat (like a big cracker with cream cheese and salmon).

Happened yesterday when I ate chocolate covered almond patties (I chose those because of nuts inside, lots of protein but it still got me).

Is this fructose malabsorption? Hypoglycemia? Freaking diabetes??? Ugh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Ulcer?

peeptoad Apprentice

It could be a blood sugar issue... not sure though. This does happen to me sometimes, but I just cannot tolerate sugar in the morning. I have to eat something high-protein/low sugar for breakfast. Is it only in the morning that this happens to you?

It could be a blood sugar issue... not sure though. This does happen to me sometimes, but I just cannot tolerate sugar in the morning. I have to eat something high-protein/low sugar for breakfast. Is it only in the morning that this happens to you?

Nope.

It is BAD today. I woke up hungry and only had time for a bite of granola and tea. Came back and ate more and oj and felt sick. Fell asleep.

Woke up and ate leftover Bok choy/broccoli - not much better. Ate the salmon/cream cheese/cracker ...a little better but still dizzy and gross. Ate a few grapes - trying to

find glucose to see if it helps. I read spaghetti sauce is high in glucose - have some and may try a spoonful next.

I thought the nausea was the iron meds, but maybe not. It had let up in the last four or so days....now back.

I know it's sugar, just can't figure out exactly WHAT.

Reba32 Rookie

fighting low blood sugar with sugar isn't the answer, that's for sure!

Try for more high fat, moderate protein and low GL (glycemic load) fruits and veggies (think paleo diet). See if that helps. Eat 5 or 6 smaller meals per day, rather than 3 big meals. This will help to keep your blood glucose levels at an even keel, rather than spiking and crashing all day.

Ditch the crackers, corn puffs, honey and processed sugary crap, and go with more salmon and (full fat!) cheese with some veggies instead.

And check out this 25 y/o documentary called The Sugar Trap.

Even 25 years ago (heck, 100 years ago they knew this!) they KNEW that sugar is the enemy, NOT fats! But for some idiotic reason they still keep telling us the low fat - high carb diet is the way to go :P

Ha!

I was trying to see if glucose would have an effect.

Ya know, the obvious finally occured to me late yesterday. Was I glutened???? Maybe the drywall experience caught up with me????

I'm wondering if this is a gluten symptom for me- blood sugar going nuts???? Not a good sign, is it?

I tried a lot of things yesterday - the ONLY thing that worked was a hamburger. Udi's bun, homemade patty on the grill. Instant cure.

You want to know what's strange??? I tried ice cream late last night....NO EFFECT. I've been fine with ice cream all along.

So what the heck is going on that I can't eat chocolate, granola, nuts but can eat chocolateHaagen Dazs?????

Ok, today's test...

Protein rules. Grapes are ok. Strawberries are not.

I am making Cuban Black Beans (Moosewood recipe) for dinner. Lots of protein, fiber, veggies. We'll see.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Maybe your body wants you to be Paleo??

Meats, fats, and veggies... :)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Sounds like hypoglycemia or some type or blood sugar problem to me. I have hypoglycemia and I need to eat more protein than carbs or I'll be sick (light-headed, dizzy, nasueas, headache) and sleep just like you did after drinking the OJ. You should get tested for diabetes, however, just to rule it out.

discovery mission Newbie

I've dealt with hypoglycemia over 20 years and have always found that the more steady I can keep the blood sugar the better. I can go mainly protein, veggies, and lower sugar fruits (grapefruit, green apples, berries) and not have the blood sugar roller coaster. If I'm low, I have to raise slightly and immediately level it off. But I have to be careful about the blood sugar surge. If I'm keeping it under regular control and I feel a drop I can't over-react with raising it up or I go on the 'roller coaster'. I feel these symptoms much more intensely when I have gluten/grains in my diet. I discovered I had a problem with corn long before I suspected gluten. And only recently did I discover that corn itself has gluten, just not the same kind as wheat.

I'm toying with a gluten challenge right now for official testing, but just shake my head at the idea of dealing with all of the symptoms just to verify what I've already figured out. I've been doing it for less than a week and I'm not sure its worth it.

Good luck to you!

ndw3363 Contributor

I have blood sugar issues as well and I have found that the only way to feel good every day is to eat very little carbs. I do best on protein, veggies, and a small amount of low sugar fruits. That's not to say that I don't have treats once in awhile, but I definitely pay for it when I do. I'm getting to the point that some of that stuff doesn't even taste good anymore. I made a gluten-free coffee cake over the weekend and it made me totally nauseous - way too sweet (and I even cut the sugar amount from the recipe in half!)

I also have found that the later I eat at night, the worse I feel in the morning. I typically go to bed around 10pm and get up at 6am. If I eat anything after 9pm, I wake up STARVING and feeling sick...I know this because against better judgement, I had some popcorn before bed last night.

I am still having some digestive issues though even when I've been good. I think it's the work stress, but I schedule a nutrition visit for next week anyway. I'm hoping it's just a deficiency of some sort - I've gotten a bit lazy with my supplements. Hope you feel better soon!!

Reba32 Rookie

popcorn is fairly high in carbohydrate, that could most certainly cause a spike in blood sugars, and then crash while you sleep. I haven't eaten any since 2008. Nor whole corn except one bite last summer that made me immediately feel ill.

A better bedtime snack would be something higher in fat, and slower to digest. Cheese and a pickle or some olives, or half an avocado.

Thanks for all of the responses.

This week is much better.

I need 5 small meals a day...the more fiber mixed in with protein and veggies the better. The Moosewood Cuban Black Bean recipe is perfect - beans, rice, 400 veggies - some of it pur

Reba32 Rookie

Is Haagen Dazs gluten free?

I haven't eaten it in years, because it's way too much sugar for me, but I thought it wasn't gluten free, because possible cross contamination?

Yes, it's gluten-free. They say they mark "wheat" clearly.

I stick with plain vanilla and chocolate - tried the java chip and it was much sweeter, IMO. Coffee is ok too, but a bit sweeter than chocolate or vanilla.

They have these "5 ingredient" ice creams whose labels are easy to read compared to competitors.

It may be made on shared lines, but so far I haven't had a problem. Talenti Gelato is another one to try. They mark their flavors by allergen.

Reba32 Rookie

I eat Chapman's sugar free. It's very tasty, and gluten free :) Available only in Canada though I think.

Archived