8 replies to this topic

#1 Jai

Jai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

I just realized today how much I miss fajitas! mmmmmmm....fajitas.
Anyone know of some good torilla shells? I tried one brand that was basically like eating plastic, then I realized that I was supposed to heat them up. Then it was like eating warm plastic!!!
Help! I really want some fajitas ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

I just realized today how much I miss fajitas! mmmmmmm....fajitas.
Anyone know of some good torilla shells? I tried one brand that was basically like eating plastic, then I realized that I was supposed to heat them up. Then it was like eating warm plastic!!!
Help! I really want some fajitas ;)

I have used Mission brand corn tortilla--spray with oil and heat in oven.

Even better however is if you can make your own shells. Get some MaSeCa brand Masa Harina (corn flour) and follow the directions on the bag. It's nothing more than mixing the masa with water to make a dough. It's easier if you have a tortilla press but it you don't you can press the dough between two plates with wax paper on them. Homemade corn tortillas are nothign like the store bought and are much more similar to flour tortillas.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Misson are good, I prefer El Milargro which I can buy at wal mart. I heat it on a griddle over the stove or over a low flame on the burner.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#4 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

Even better however is if you can make your own shells. Get some MaSeCa brand Masa Harina (corn flour) and follow the directions on the bag. It's nothing more than mixing the masa with water to make a dough. It's easier if you have a tortilla press but it you don't you can press the dough between two plates with wax paper on them. Homemade corn tortillas are nothign like the store bought and are much more similar to flour tortillas.

Could not have said it better myself!

You can also lightly brush them with oil and bake until crispy in the oven for corn chips which also has many uses.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

I have used Mission brand corn tortilla--spray with oil and heat in oven.

Any idea where you can buy the Masa Harina? or a tortilla shell press?

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

Wal-Mart sells Masa Harina in the Latin food section locally, but we have a large Latin population. If you have a Latin grocer, they will most likely sell a press.

You've got me hankering for fahitas now! (And huevos ranchero...) I'm going to have to do a corn challenge this weekend! :D Wish me luck!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 Jai

Jai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

I"m in Canada. Not sure if I can get any of that here! I'll definitely try to make my own. I now have a weekend project! Thanks!

#8 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

I have seen MaSeCa in most regular grocery stores--check the international sections if they have one. Be careful about which brand you buy--the first brand I tried had wheat cc in it due to being processed with wheat flour. I noticed only after it made me sick and after writing to the company that the bag had a warning that said "May contain wheat". The MaSeCa brand is safe and has not given me any symtpoms.

For the press I had to order one from the big A website. I looked all over for one locally but could not find one anywhere. If you live in an area with a big Hispanic population you may have more luck.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#9 kendon0015

kendon0015

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:17 AM

I got my press in the supermarket in a neighborhood with a high hispanic population. Actually, I have learned to love this store....all kinds of goodies. When you master tortillas, move on to arepas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: