2 replies to this topic

#1 trakaye

trakaye

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi- I am new to this forum. I am currently 10.5 weeks pregnant. I have had a rash on the back side of my hands for a couple years now. When I got pregnant the rash became increasingly worse. The last 2 weeks it has gone from being on the backs of my hands to both my ears, both thighs, around both knees, up my arms and both butt cheeks. Last Thursday I seen a naturopath and she is pretty sure that I have a gluten rash. She put me on a dairy and gluten free diet. Since I went on the diet my rash has spread and is more itchy. I did eat more tomatoes, sugar, and gluten free chips for the first three days on diet. I ommited tomatoes and salty store bought items from my diet and cut down on sugar.(it has been 2 days) My rash is still itchy and bothersome. If I am celiac and have dh how long will it take before I see any results of my rash getting better? Is it normal after quitting gluten for rash to get worse?

Thanks,
Tracie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I don't know what normal is anymore.

If it's DH going on a low iodine should short circuit the rash - google "thyca". It should be safe for pregnancy, but ask your practitioner. You should see the rash improve quickly if it is DH if you decrease iodine. You can add back iodine slowly if there are concerns because of pregnancy. It is not a long term solution for anyone.

To relieve symptoms, moisturize the rash - I like Vanicream. Also, ice packs help with itching.

Good luck and congratulations!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 trakaye

trakaye

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Thank you, we are really excited for our third! Thank you for your advice I found thyca to be really helpful. Hoping to get this skin rash under control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: