#1 dmb2151

dmb2151

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Hi all,

Any insight or help would be appreciated!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis last December. My latest blood test showed my numbers for my hypothyroidism to finally be in range. I have been having some stomach problems since March. This includes stomach pain, loose stool, gas, bloating, and nausea. After reading there can be a connection between Hashimoto's and Celiac Disease, and given my recent stomach problems, I recently asked my primary to run the blood test for Celiacs. These are my results:

Tissue Translutaminase AB (IGA) - 7
<5 negative
5-8 equivocal
>8 positive

Gliadin Antibody (IGA) - 11
<11 negative
11-17 equivocal
>17 positive

My primary suggested I see a gastroenterologist but my appointment isn't for over a month. I am just wondering what to expect from my visit. My blood test results are equivocal and I am not exactly sure what that means? I've read that Hashimoto's and Celiac Disease can run hand in hand but I have also read that having any autoimmune disorder can increase levels of TTG. Could my increased levels just be a result of my Hashimoto's?

I plan on trying a gluten free diet after seeing the gastroenterologist, regardless if I get diagnosed or not to see if that will help any.

Any information or insight on my "equivocal" results in the mean time would be greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 viviendoparajesus

viviendoparajesus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

unfortunately it seems like your results are inconclusive.

to my knowledge i do not think your increased levels would be a result of hashimoto's. if anything the gluten could contribute to hashimoto's, the blood test results, and celiac's. i do not think it works the other way.

hopefully someone can give you more information for the meantime until you see the doctor.

best wishes!
Misdiagnosed - IBS, TMJ, eczema, KP, etc
Real Diagnosis - Gluten & Casein (milk protein) Intolerance, Cross Reactivity to Yeast & Buckwheat
Recommend: Tests: Entero Labs Gluten Sensitivity & Gene Testing
Books: * Allergies by Dr. Carolee Bateson-Koch (digestion, yeast, parasites, body pH...)
* Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Dr. Datis Kharrazian (gluten & autoimmune problems)
* Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Dr. Daniel Amen (foods, supplements...)
Supplements: * digestive enzymes, * probiotics (dairy free - Klaire Labs - Pro5)

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

When you go to the gastroenterologist you should ask him to run a full celiac panel, which consists of the following tests:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

The last test is run as a control to ensure that you produce normal quantities of IgA antibodies. If this reading is low they need to run the IgG versions of all the tests. It is possible to be negative on some tests and positive on others. Doctors like to run the Tissue Transglutaminas (tTG) because that used to be considered the most specific for celiac. However, the new Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) is now considered to be the most specific for celiac disease. Regardless, a positive on any of the tests will normally trigger a doctor to order an endoscopy with biopsies to see if there is any damage in the small intestine, which is still the "gold standard" of celiac diagnosis.

Your tTG was equivocal, neither negative nor positive. It is entirely possible that if you are retested in six months this result could be positive. Sometimes equivocal tests indicate that you are a celiac "in waiting."

Do post your test results on here with the la ranges, and your doctor's recommendations. When you have completed all testing you intend to have done , whether or not it is positive, I would recommend you give the gluten free diet a good three-month trial to see if it helps with your stomach problems.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 dmb2151

dmb2151

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely write down all of those tests you suggest and bring that list to the gastroenterologist. I really just want answers to why I am feeling like this.

Thanks again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: