Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Am I Eating?!?

25 posts in this topic

I'm still having a "gluten-y" reaction and can't figure it out. Anything stand out?

Breakfast: bowl if fruity pebbles with almond milk. Coffee with splenda and coconut milk creamer

Snack: 3 pieces rolled up boars head chicken 5 gluten-free crackers

Lunch: boars head chicken on udi's gluten-free bread with gluten-free mustard. gluten-free crackers. The strawberry rice crackers ( allergen free) iced tea with splenda

Starving at 2 so I had boars head beef bologna on udi's bread with light hellmans mayo ( squirt bottle, no cc)

1 banana with coconut milk ice cream and cinnamon.

Dinner: pan fried tilapia yellow rice ( listed gluten-free on their website) same desert as above with the banana and gluten-free ice cream.

What coukd still be bothering me? My stomach is burning, gassy, bloated. I'm super moody. I can't figure it out! Help!

Ads by Google:

Are the fruity pebbles gluten-free?

That's a lot of processed food....where are the veggies?

After re-reading....

Keep a food log and you might find an additional intolerance.

I have a hiatal hernia, which gives me a fit from time to time, with much of your symptoms.

Are you toasting the bread in a shared toaster? What brand of almond milk? I agree with pear, that's a lot of processed food. It's pretty hard to pin down what you are reacting too since you could have a problem with ingredients in any of the gluten-free products (additioanl intolerances are common), problems with cc or just have eaten too much processed junk for you body to handle. Off the top of my head the following foods from your list are common for people have trouble with as additional intolerances:

Xantham gum in the Udi's

Splenda

soy--could be in the alternative milks, lunchmeat and mayo.

Coconut milk (also usually has xathan or guar gum in it)

too much sugar or corn sugar products (corn syrup in the fruity pebbles maybe?)

nitrates in the meat

Any of the flours in the bread or crackers--Tapioca, brown rice flour, etc.

It really could be anything...

just reading it makes me kind of feel sick. it sounds way to processed to me. it is also heavy on grains. some people are cross reactive to other grains including rice. i stay away from artificial sugars which tend to give people problems even if they do not have celiac's. i would go with stevia instead. maybe switch to regular meat instead of deli meat since it is less processed and has less in it. maybe cut back on grains and add in more veggies and fruit along with maybe some beans, nuts, seeds, fish, and good oils (olive, flax). best wishes!!

My guess would be soy. It's in the mayo, and probably in the lunch meats. There are trace amounts in most of the alternate milks, most peanut butter and tuna. It's in the Coconut Ice Cream, and most chocolate.

Soy whipped me almost as bad as gluten did, with very similar side effects.

As for getting over that, Green Tea has caffeine and doesn't need dairy and is probably kinder to your system. I can drink coffee black now, but it took me awhile to get used to it, and I like a drop or 2 of agave syrup with it.

I find a good alternative to soy sauce is the juice of a lime mixed with a tsp. of fish sauce, or you can use coconut amminos.

I tried to find a gluten-free SF mayo and thought that Spectrum Canola Oil mayo was good, but that's made on shared lines and I'm not sure that's a good suggestion. Whole Foods has one too, but I think it's made on shared lines as well. Soy is every bit as sneaky as gluten in processed foods.

As an example, check TGI Friday's gluten-free menu vs. their soy free menu.

Hope you find out what's bugging you and feel better soon.

Glutenfreemama- No offense, but that diet is the exact opposite of anything I'd willingly choose to eat myself. I'd also never recommend that to someone just *starting* gluten free.

I recommend simple, single ingredient whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, unprocessed, lightly herbed meats. Organic to the extent that it is possible. Eggs. Brown and basmati rice. Nuts, seeds, healthy oils. Possibly yogurt and cheese, but only if you can do dairy. I can, but many can't. Low to no antibiotic content. No GMO if you can find it. Simple, unsugared cereals like Chex. God knows there are days where I can ONLY do Chex.

Simple three ingredient soups, if you want to get fancy.

I've found, the more complex something is, the more likely it is to make me sick right now. I've learned to appreciate food for depth of flavor and texture, not how many tastes it has.

Salads. Homemade granola. Low iodine seafood. Keep it simple!

glutenfreemama I had a very bad reaction in this last month, so bad they thought I was having a gall bladder attack or something else. had all kinds of tests and scans all was good, my hubby said to stop eating cocoa pebbles and fruity pebbles as was the new thing I added in the last month, the boxes said gluten free, in two days after stopping, all symptoms stopped. Worst reaction I have had in a very long time. I am very sensitive,and have made up my mind for myself I will not eat any gluten free foods that the big companies put out I also had a bad reaction to chex, but the fruity and cocoa pebbles were horrible for me.

There's several things there that may be giving you issues. Coconuts are on the salicylate list and coconut milk has xantham gum which can give a person issues. I do not do well with coconut milk. The mayo more than likely contains soy. Unless the cereal is labeled gluten-free that coud be an issue. And I would give up the Splenda for save measures, too many chemicals.

I hate veggies unless they are purred into a broth and the texture I gone. Lunchmeats are unfortunately a staple in my house. Boars head is gluten dairy and I believe soy free. I made a promise to myself last night that I would have fruit with everything I ate today. I agree about the deity pebbles. Yea they are labeled gluten free. I can't do dairy. So what is a good milk alternative?

As I was analyzing at 2 am hurting, I remembered that the lunch sandwhich was in my last 2 pieces of deland bakery bread.

I have a dedicated toaster.

Are McDonald fries glutenfree? We don't eat them often but I got my son some yesterday and I stole a few. All things you smack your head about when you are sick. This is all stuff I have had in the past with no problems.

I am going to make my own pasta today.

I didn't sleep much last night and had anxiety all night.

I love the taste of coffee. I've drank it for almost 14 years and never had a problem.

The only problem with the Boars Head is if it's cut on the same cutters as something with gluten. Some of the previous meat gets stuck on the cutter.

No, most MacDonald's fries are definitely NOT gluten free. You'd have to check with the specific restaurant where you go them, but most do not have dedicated friers, and will share with the breaded chicken and fish.

Fries in general are not safe anywhere, unless the restaurant has a dedicated frier, or is entirely gluten free.

I suggest you get a juicer and start juicing veggies. Living a gluten-free lifestyle is going to be tough without vegetables, not to mention potentially nutritionally deficient.

Perhaps you'll start developing a taste for them.

If you like French fries make your own at home - or roast some potatoes.

No, most MacDonald's fries are definitely NOT gluten free. You'd have to check with the specific restaurant where you go them, but most do not have dedicated friers, and will share with the breaded chicken and fish.

Fries in general are not safe anywhere, unless the restaurant has a dedicated frier, or is entirely gluten free.

YES, McDonald's French Fries are considered SAFE FOR PEOPLE WITH CELIAC DISEASE TO CONSUME. McDonald's Franchises have dedicated friers, in the United States.

Chic-fil-A's fries are also considered gluten free...and very yummy!

The grocery store by me breaks down the slicer and cleans it well before they slice my meat. I always go when it's not busy, and I watch them do it. I always felt safe eating the meat.

I really wish I could just open my mouth and take a big bite of veggies. I just can't do it. It makes ne gag and dry heave. I make soup when it gets cold and throw veggies in it and then pur

I suggest The Sneaky Chef or the book by Jessica Seinfeld to learn how to make nutritious purees and hide them in food. You won't be able to use all of the recipes for baking, but you could benefit from the technique.

I have read otherwise. I would say then to check with each restaurant, because I've seen people right here in these forums say they've been glutened by McDonald's fries.

I don't eat fast food, so I don't generally worry about it myself.

I've seen people right here in these forums say they've been glutened by McDonald's fries.

At any restaurant there is a risk of cross contamination. At a fast food restaurant the risk is must greater.

If you haven't bought a stick blender yet, you might find it helpful. Veggies taste so pure and so good when pureed, and it's a slam dunk pureeing them with a stick blender. I always think I'm going to get electrocuted when I stick that blender in the dishwater to clean it (while it's plugged in), but that's an easy way to clean it and I haven't bounced off the wall yet. I bought mine for under $10 at a discount store. Use it alll the time.

Well crap I can't figure out how to use all the hidden feature on my phone lol.

I did just purchase one. I made chicken veggie soup. Was really good. I need to figure out what I can put in what.

I want to give up processed foods but it's so hard. We eat out quite a bit.

I did just purchase one. I made chicken veggie soup. Was really good. I need to figure out what I can put in what.

I just find eating out ridiculously hard. I've had dishes served to me that the waitpersons swore up and down was gluten free. I've then returned home and found out things like...oh that tomato soup had four TABLESPOONS of wheat flour in it to thicken it. It's just gotten...wearying, tbh. I prefer eating at home because I know exactly what goes into what I'm eating. I also get a pretty unsightly dh sore right on the margin of my lower lip that's painful and slow to heal when I've been glutened. Now that I know what causes it, I'm so over having it reoccur.

McDonald's Franchises have dedicated friers, in the United States.

There's an issue with this that I read rumors about on a blog that does seem to be a potential problem for a few McDonald's. Dedicated fryers, yes, but many McDonald's will filter and reuse their oil for a couple days before using completely new oil again.

The rumor was that some McDonald's don't have dedicated storage containers for this reused oil. So the oil from both the dedicated fryer and the regular fryer would be stored in the same container at night, mixing together, then poured back into the fryers after it's all nice and contaminated. :blink:

I called McDonald's in my area, and at least where I am, this rumor looks to be true. The third McDonald's I tried said that they stored their oil that they are filtering and reusing in the same container, after use but prior to using it again.

Now I don't know that this is consistent with McDonald's policy, so perhaps these McDonald's are going against franchise rules, but considering that I read about it on some random blog in another state, and found it in my state, I figure that it may be something we should ask our McDonald's before we eat there.

Are you using Splenda in the little individual packets, or the bulk Splenda? People here have reported problems with the bulk form.

I know the feeling, sometimes I feel like my phone is smarter than me.

Regarding giving up the processed foods, I had a problem with that too. It takes time, like any big life change. I had an attitude about it for a year. But then I kept getting sick and that really sucks.

Now I'm perfectly content with eating every meal at home, or packing my food to go. I cook on the weekends to freeze and preserve for the upcoming week(s). I even made crackers last weekend.

My brother's visitting this weekend. I'm going to try Bonefish Grill, hope it's going to be ok. Funny, it's actually harder for me to go out now then it is to cook and be pretty darn happy. The tide turned.