24 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'm still having a "gluten-y" reaction and can't figure it out. Anything stand out?
Breakfast: bowl if fruity pebbles with almond milk. Coffee with splenda and coconut milk creamer
Snack: 3 pieces rolled up boars head chicken 5 gluten-free crackers

Lunch: boars head chicken on udi's gluten-free bread with gluten-free mustard. gluten-free crackers. The strawberry rice crackers ( allergen free) iced tea with splenda

Starving at 2 so I had boars head beef bologna on udi's bread with light hellmans mayo ( squirt bottle, no cc)
1 banana with coconut milk ice cream and cinnamon.

Dinner: pan fried tilapia yellow rice ( listed gluten-free on their website) same desert as above with the banana and gluten-free ice cream.

What coukd still be bothering me? My stomach is burning, gassy, bloated. I'm super moody. I can't figure it out! Help!
Gluten free since 10/1/10
3 year old gluten free since 10/16/10
Diagnosed with IBS in 2000
Appeared on the Dr.Phil Show 9/23/10
started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance
Labs drawn on 10/16/10 waiting on results
10 pounds and 15 inches off so far!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

Are the fruity pebbles gluten-free?

That's a lot of processed food....where are the veggies?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

After re-reading....

Keep a food log and you might find an additional intolerance.

I have a hiatal hernia, which gives me a fit from time to time, with much of your symptoms.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Are you toasting the bread in a shared toaster? What brand of almond milk? I agree with pear, that's a lot of processed food. It's pretty hard to pin down what you are reacting too since you could have a problem with ingredients in any of the gluten-free products (additioanl intolerances are common), problems with cc or just have eaten too much processed junk for you body to handle. Off the top of my head the following foods from your list are common for people have trouble with as additional intolerances:

Xantham gum in the Udi's
Splenda
soy--could be in the alternative milks, lunchmeat and mayo.
Coconut milk (also usually has xathan or guar gum in it)
too much sugar or corn sugar products (corn syrup in the fruity pebbles maybe?)
nitrates in the meat
Any of the flours in the bread or crackers--Tapioca, brown rice flour, etc.
It really could be anything...
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 viviendoparajesus

viviendoparajesus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

just reading it makes me kind of feel sick. it sounds way to processed to me. it is also heavy on grains. some people are cross reactive to other grains including rice. i stay away from artificial sugars which tend to give people problems even if they do not have celiac's. i would go with stevia instead. maybe switch to regular meat instead of deli meat since it is less processed and has less in it. maybe cut back on grains and add in more veggies and fruit along with maybe some beans, nuts, seeds, fish, and good oils (olive, flax). best wishes!!
Misdiagnosed - IBS, TMJ, eczema, KP, etc
Real Diagnosis - Gluten & Casein (milk protein) Intolerance, Cross Reactivity to Yeast & Buckwheat
Recommend: Tests: Entero Labs Gluten Sensitivity & Gene Testing
Books: * Allergies by Dr. Carolee Bateson-Koch (digestion, yeast, parasites, body pH...)
* Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Dr. Datis Kharrazian (gluten & autoimmune problems)
* Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Dr. Daniel Amen (foods, supplements...)
Supplements: * digestive enzymes, * probiotics (dairy free - Klaire Labs - Pro5)

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

My guess would be soy. It's in the mayo, and probably in the lunch meats. There are trace amounts in most of the alternate milks, most peanut butter and tuna. It's in the Coconut Ice Cream, and most chocolate.

Soy whipped me almost as bad as gluten did, with very similar side effects.

As for getting over that, Green Tea has caffeine and doesn't need dairy and is probably kinder to your system. I can drink coffee black now, but it took me awhile to get used to it, and I like a drop or 2 of agave syrup with it.

I find a good alternative to soy sauce is the juice of a lime mixed with a tsp. of fish sauce, or you can use coconut amminos.

I tried to find a gluten-free SF mayo and thought that Spectrum Canola Oil mayo was good, but that's made on shared lines and I'm not sure that's a good suggestion. Whole Foods has one too, but I think it's made on shared lines as well. Soy is every bit as sneaky as gluten in processed foods.

As an example, check TGI Friday's gluten-free menu vs. their soy free menu.

Hope you find out what's bugging you and feel better soon.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Glutenfreemama- No offense, but that diet is the exact opposite of anything I'd willingly choose to eat myself. I'd also never recommend that to someone just *starting* gluten free.

I recommend simple, single ingredient whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, unprocessed, lightly herbed meats. Organic to the extent that it is possible. Eggs. Brown and basmati rice. Nuts, seeds, healthy oils. Possibly yogurt and cheese, but only if you can do dairy. I can, but many can't. Low to no antibiotic content. No GMO if you can find it. Simple, unsugared cereals like Chex. God knows there are days where I can ONLY do Chex.

Simple three ingredient soups, if you want to get fancy.

I've found, the more complex something is, the more likely it is to make me sick right now. I've learned to appreciate food for depth of flavor and texture, not how many tastes it has.

Salads. Homemade granola. Low iodine seafood. Keep it simple!

#8 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

glutenfreemama I had a very bad reaction in this last month, so bad they thought I was having a gall bladder attack or something else. had all kinds of tests and scans all was good, my hubby said to stop eating cocoa pebbles and fruity pebbles as was the new thing I added in the last month, the boxes said gluten free, in two days after stopping, all symptoms stopped. Worst reaction I have had in a very long time. I am very sensitive,and have made up my mind for myself I will not eat any gluten free foods that the big companies put out I also had a bad reaction to chex, but the fruity and cocoa pebbles were horrible for me.

#9 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

There's several things there that may be giving you issues. Coconuts are on the salicylate list and coconut milk has xantham gum which can give a person issues. I do not do well with coconut milk. The mayo more than likely contains soy. Unless the cereal is labeled gluten-free that coud be an issue. And I would give up the Splenda for save measures, too many chemicals.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#10 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:48 AM

I hate veggies unless they are purred into a broth and the texture I gone. Lunchmeats are unfortunately a staple in my house. Boars head is gluten dairy and I believe soy free. I made a promise to myself last night that I would have fruit with everything I ate today. I agree about the deity pebbles. Yea they are labeled gluten free. I can't do dairy. So what is a good milk alternative?

As I was analyzing at 2 am hurting, I remembered that the lunch sandwhich was in my last 2 pieces of deland bakery bread.

I have a dedicated toaster.
Are McDonald fries glutenfree? We don't eat them often but I got my son some yesterday and I stole a few. All things you smack your head about when you are sick. This is all stuff I have had in the past with no problems.

I am going to make my own pasta today.

I didn't sleep much last night and had anxiety all night.

I love the taste of coffee. I've drank it for almost 14 years and never had a problem.
started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance

#11 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:52 AM

http://whattofeedyou...uts-gluten.html

#12 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

The only problem with the Boars Head is if it's cut on the same cutters as something with gluten. Some of the previous meat gets stuck on the cutter.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#13 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:24 AM

No, most MacDonald's fries are definitely NOT gluten free. You'd have to check with the specific restaurant where you go them, but most do not have dedicated friers, and will share with the breaded chicken and fish.

Fries in general are not safe anywhere, unless the restaurant has a dedicated frier, or is entirely gluten free.

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

I suggest you get a juicer and start juicing veggies. Living a gluten-free lifestyle is going to be tough without vegetables, not to mention potentially nutritionally deficient.

Perhaps you'll start developing a taste for them.

If you like French fries make your own at home - or roast some potatoes.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

No, most MacDonald's fries are definitely NOT gluten free. You'd have to check with the specific restaurant where you go them, but most do not have dedicated friers, and will share with the breaded chicken and fish.

Fries in general are not safe anywhere, unless the restaurant has a dedicated frier, or is entirely gluten free.

YES, McDonald's French Fries are considered SAFE FOR PEOPLE WITH CELIAC DISEASE TO CONSUME. McDonald's Franchises have dedicated friers, in the United States.

Chic-fil-A's fries are also considered gluten free...and very yummy!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: