This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Suspect I Am Gluten Intolerant. Any Advice?

LOWNskater52

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Hey everybody,

New user here. I just wanted to share with you guys what I'm going through and to see if you have any advice or help for me.

My name is Taylor and I am a 24 year old male. I've always been pretty healthy throughout most of my life. In shape, worked out alot, ate whatever I wanted, smoked weed and drank on the reg. I was Basically just another college kid living life. This all changed back in August of 2010 when I took a regular OTC drug (Prilosec) and nearly died from overdose. My body couldn't process the toxin and it built up into a point where it became extremely toxic to me. I was in the hospital for a week and remember feeling like I was on my death bed with my parents over me crying. They did a bunch of procedures and I ended up detoxing and coming out of it ok. Ever since this happened to me I have felt consistantly sick with a whole host of issues I've never had before. These issues include heartburn/indigestion, ridiculous anxiety, intolerance to exercise, intolerance to drugs or alcohol, pounding heart, slightly high blood pressure (130/85), shortness of breath, eczema and some more things I can't remember right now.

I have been to multipule doctors that include a cardiologist, an endocronologist, a gastroentrologist, and many general pracitioners and the only this they found was some slight esophagitis during the endoscopy. Heart is 100% healthy, thyroid is great, and some minor esophagitis are the only things they could find. I also have a natural doctor who did a 24 hour cortisol test and found that I have Adrenal Fatigue/Exhaustion, which explains a lot of things in itself.

Needless to say the Prilosec experience traumatized the hell out of me. I already had mediocre anxiety problems but ever since this my anxiety has been through the roof. I have been seeing a counselor for two months now and have been doing some serious meditation. Meditation to the point I forget I'm in my own body and am at complete peace. Even with this though I still feel my heart pounding all day and still have mild GERD/indigestion. I know I have an anxiety problem, but I have made great steps in treating it and have still seen my condition deteriorate.

Ever since I had my traumatic experience back in Aug 2010, my condition has gone from bearable to worse. Even my natural doctor's remedies have not been helping. I feel this is a good time to mention that I have deplorable eating habits. Pizza, fast food, burgers, processed foods, pasta are all apart of my diet regularly. It never bothered me because I never gained weight or had any health problems before. Now these past couple of months I have been getting pudgier and pudgier. I always feel horrible with anxiety, restlessness, digestive issues, and sleep issues.

This brings me to yesterday. Its lunch time at work again and I decide to go to Taco Bell and really go all out. I get 8 bucks worth of tacos and scarf them down quickly. I get back to my office and I notice my heartrate is super fast (145 bpm) and the pounding heart is absolutely ridiclous. My restlessness is out of control and I leave to go on a quick walk around the office. My anxiety is obviously going real strong so I head to my car and do my meditiaton. No help. My tried and true methods of meditation fail to calm my heart. This last for hours until I get home and in front of the tv. Im still on nerve but I manage to get lost in some TV. By the time bedtime rolls around (10PM) my attack returns. Restlessness is out of control, heart pounding super hard, scary esophageal spasms, acid reflux going even after no dinner. I maybe got 2 hours of sleep last night. I am still feeling some tightness in my chest around the esophagus area and am super restless.

So what do you guys think? Does that sound like gluten intolerance to you guys? I've been reading up on Gluten intolerance/sensitivity and I have found some interesting info. First of all, research has shown that a serious traumatic event (such as physical injury, death of a loved one, divorce, near death experience) that enduces a tremendous amount of physical and emotional stress can cause one to be gluten intolerance. I also saw that when you eat gluten constantly and are gluten intolerant/sensitive, this can cause adrenal fatigue and hormone issues.

Regardless of your answers, today I begun a gluten free diet. Going with all raw fruits and veggies and unseasoned meats for the long haul. Just wondering, how mlong does it take onaverage for your body to process and expell gluten from your system?

Tahnks for everything guys and girls,

Taylor

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOWNskater52 Apprentice

I forgot to mention that the endoscopy also showed some inflammation in my gastic antrum (bottom of my stomach). This inflammation has been present since my first endoscopy, making it atleast 10/10 through 8/11.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

In all of those tests did they run a celiac panel?? If no, run to one of them and get it done today. Not just one test, the WHOLE panel.

And if I was experiencing what you're experiencing (and I think I have to some degree), I'd try gluten free, EVERYTHING free to see if it helps.

It took 1 week for my brain fog to lift, but at almost 4 months gluten-free everyday is an adventure. Everyone is different...keep to whole foods and I'm sure that will help you. You may add probiotics and digestive enzymes to help digest your food and rebuild your GI system.

Good luck, read the forums for hints, and keep asking questions.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

In all of those tests did they run a celiac panel?? If no, run to one of them and get it done today. Not just one test, the WHOLE panel.

And if I was experiencing what you're experiencing (and I think I have to some degree), I'd try gluten free, EVERYTHING free to see if it helps.

It took 1 week for my brain fog to lift, but at almost 4 months gluten-free everyday is an adventure. Everyone is different...keep to whole foods and I'm sure that will help you. You may add probiotics and digestive enzymes to help digest your food and rebuild your GI system.

Good luck, read the forums for hints, and keep asking questions.

Wow, thanks for the fast response Prickly. I also have had congitive issues. Maybe not so much brain fog as in inability to concentrate on anything. My mind endlessly wanders.

I am definitely taking your advice and going free everything. I love fruits and vegetables and already have my diet setup. Today for breakfast I made a smoothie that consisted of 2 bananas, 10 strawberries, 2 cups of Kale, water, and ice. Lunch had green beans, and a baked chick breast. Dinner is going to be another big ass smoothie. No casen, no gluten, no nothing.

Where do you get a Celiacs test at? Can you get it at a primary care physician/holitsic doctor or do you have to head to a gastroentrologist?

Thanks again buddy.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Also have eczema on my right foot which is an autoimmune disorder. Maybe they are linked.

kareng Grand Master

Wow, thanks for the fast response Prickly. I also have had congitive issues. Maybe not so much brain fog as in inability to concentrate on anything. My mind endlessly wanders.

I am definitely taking your advice and going free everything. I love fruits and vegetables and already have my diet setup. Today for breakfast I made a smoothie that consisted of 2 bananas, 10 strawberries, 2 cups of Kale, water, and ice. Lunch had green beans, and a baked chick breast. Dinner is going to be another big ass smoothie. No casen, no gluten, no nothing.

Where do you get a Celiacs test at? Can you get it at a primary care physician/holitsic doctor or do you have to head to a gastroentrologist?

Thanks again buddy.

You can get a Celic blood test at your regular doctor's . If you are gluten free, the result should be negative, even if you have Celiac. If you want the blood test, you need to keep eating gluten.

You can get a Celic blood test at your regular doctor's . If you are gluten free, the result should be negative, even if you have Celiac. If you want the blood test, you need to keep eating gluten.

He's only been gluten-free 3 days...hence the RUN to the doctors office today.

Yes, if you continue gluten-free then thetesting won't be valid. In your case, given your symptoms, I'd continue gluten-free and "everything" f and if I can get the test in the next few days, great. If not, figure it out by elimination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I don't know where I got 3 days. Sounds like you're on day 1. All the better if you can get tested asap.

Get the lab slip from your ND or MD. Run to the lab and give blood.

Some ND's stock saliva tests, but I don't think that will be a full panel.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

He's only been gluten-free 3 days...hence the RUN to the doctors office today.

Yes, if you continue gluten-free then thetesting won't be valid. In your case, given your symptoms, I'd continue gluten-free and "everything" f and if I can get the test in the next few days, great. If not, figure it out by elimination.

It hasn't even been three days yet. I pigged out on some Taco Bell yesterday at 12 PM. That barely makes it 1 day. I just called my doctor and I have an appointment with her tomorrow at 10:15 am. Should be giving the blood by 12 pm, making it 2 days since I absolutely pigged out on some hardcore gluten. Is that close enough?

Also, do my symptoms sound familiar to anyone in here?

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

I don't know where I got 3 days. Sounds like you're on day 1. All the better if you can get tested asap.

Get the lab slip from your ND or MD. Run to the lab and give blood.

Some ND's stock saliva tests, but I don't think that will be a full panel.

I hope this is it. Even having Celiac's diease is better than not knowing what is wrong with you for a year and a half.

And I know I can't afford the small intestine biopsy. That would require a colonoscopy and the co pay on my endoscopy was $500 dollars. How definitive are these test?

Actually, it's an endoscopy....if it's done correctly it's very good at detecting intestinal damage.

But if you are gluten intolerant, you shouldn't have intestinal damage (intolerance is a newer area of dx, so dx is fuzzy).

So, sounds like your blood tests will be in plenty of time. Good for you!

Lots of people here have neuro symptoms, anxiety, and heart palpitations related to gluten or food issues. I am one! Others have more intense symptoms than me - specifically anxiety.

I hope this works for you. Remember, set backs ate common in the beginning so don't give up. Also, keep a food diary and log meals, foods, symptoms.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Actually, it's an endoscopy....if it's done correctly it's very good at detecting intestinal damage.

But if you are gluten intolerant, you shouldn't have intestinal damage (intolerance is a newer area of dx, so dx is fuzzy).

So, sounds like your blood tests will be in plenty of time. Good for you!

Lots of people here have neuro symptoms, anxiety, and heart palpitations related to gluten or food issues. I am one! Others have more intense symptoms than me - specifically anxiety.

I hope this works for you. Remember, set backs ate common in the beginning so don't give up. Also, keep a food diary and log meals, foods, symptoms.

Thanks so much Pear. You're a good person. This calms me down a ton. I am still having restlessness and anxiety pretty bad but knowing I have control help bunchs.

Whats the diffrence between gluten intolerance and Celiac's disease? I had a full panel of blood tests done that checked my liver, kidneys heart and all of that and it came back fine. Also had a vitamin panel and everything is good. Just the occasional low potassium. i don't know how you could tell if my small intestine has been damaged. I'm sure Celiac's disease is more genetic and gluten intolerance is more enviromental.

Yeah these symptoms are absolutely awful. I don't mind the indigestion/acid reflux and super smelly stools. Whats killing me are the neurological problems as well as the esophageal spasms. Very scary and annoying but I've had them before and went to the ER and they said I'm fine.

And don't worry about me and my diet. With feelings like this after a mass dose of gluten. I will have no problem staying with fruits veggies, and lean meats.

Thanks again bud,

Taylor

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I agree..ask for a full Celiac panel to be drawn..and the genetic marker test too. Once you've had the blood drawn go completely gluten free. It's worth trying so you can settle down and feel better?

Stick with whole foods (fruit,vegs, unprocessed meats, dairy)and use digestive enzymes if you feel you need them. They help a lot with digestion.

Watch for hidden gluten in seasonings and sauces, and it's best to do your own cooking to prevent any trace of gluten in your food.

There's a whole lot of info here about cross contamination(cc). Get a new tooth brush, new cutting board, get rid of scratched teflon pans, etc. Get a new toaster or use toaster bags, and a new can opener.

Your symptoms sound like Celiac to me..or at the very least gluten intollerance? Celiac blood work can come back negative when you have the disease, so be aware of that. Gluten intollerance is a bit tricky to diagnose.

I will add..some of your symptoms are ones I get from soy as well.

It's a good idea to keep a log of what you eat and any symptoms you feel. Sometimes a reaction is almost immediate, and sometimes it can take a day or so for the gluten or other offending food to enter your system.

Unfortunately, I know exactly what it's like to feel those same symptoms. Just miserable! Good luck to you..I hope you can settle down... and get some answers.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

I agree..ask for a full Celiac panel to be drawn..and the genetic marker test too. Once you've had the blood drawn go completely gluten free. It's worth trying so you can settle down and feel better?

Stick with whole foods (fruit,vegs, unprocessed meats, dairy)and use digestive enzymes if you feel you need them. They help a lot with digestion.

Watch for hidden gluten in seasonings and sauces, and it's best to do your own cooking to prevent any trace of gluten in your food.

There's a whole lot of info here about cross contamination(cc). Get a new tooth brush, new cutting board, get rid of scratched teflon pans, etc. Get a new toaster or use toaster bags, and a new can opener.

Your symptoms sound like Celiac to me..or at the very least gluten intollerance? Celiac blood work can come back negative when you have the disease, so be aware of that. Gluten intollerance is a bit tricky to diagnose.

I will add..some of your symptoms are ones I get from soy as well.

It's a good idea to keep a log of what you eat and any symptoms you feel. Sometimes a reaction is almost immediate, and sometimes it can take a day or so for the gluten or other offending food to enter your system.

Unfortunately, I know exactly what it's like to feel those same symptoms. Just miserable! Good luck to you..I hope you can settle down... and get some answers.

Thanks BM. I certainly need the support.

Tomorrow when I see my doctor, I'm going to demand a full panel. She is usually pretty stingy about tests but I am not going to take no for an answer.

I;m definitely mgoing to watch the cross-contamination. I am going to open up a new toothbrush but I've also read that there are toothpastes wwith GLUTEN IN IT! I don't know what to do about that.

I am going to stick to the diet I began today of strickly unseasoned fruits, veggies, and unprocessed meat. I have zero urge to touch anything close to gluten after these symptoms.

Honest to god I would be relieved if i just had Celiacs. Atleast I would know whats wrong with me and what to do about it. I have also read the blood tests are not always accurate. How accurate are they typically?

My reactions are pretty much immediate but most of them usually die off after a few hours. This last "attack" has been going for more than a day and is super horrible. What I'm also worried about is that I have gained a lot of weight since I got sick (30 pounds or so). When your body can't process something, it stores it in fat. Once I start losing weight and actually start burning this fat, i'm sure some of the old unprocessable gluten is going to have to work its way out.

And my main symtpoms that are killing me right now is the restlessness, esophageal spasms (if i quit being restless and use my meditation to calm down I start having spasms that are horrible), and insomnia.

Keep me inyour prayers.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Its sort of the same sensation I had when I became allergic to marijuana.

Before I got sick I was smoking ten times a day atleast. Now whenever I smoke marijuana I get a tight throat sensation and terrible esophageal spasms, along with debilitating anxiety.

Ok. Stop smoking pot and anything else that makes you feel like you're having an allergic reaction.

Try Crest toothpaste, I believe it's gluten-free.

Check your shampoos, shaving stuff, etc. Suave and garnier are brands that clearly label gluten. If in doubt, google the product and chances are you'll come up with the answer. Read labels.

jmrogers31 Contributor

Hang in there. Anxiety was my worst symptom. I went from being an easy going person to staying up at night because I was afraid to fall asleep. I would pick up my kids from daycare and almost burst into tears because I was afraid I was going to die and leave them without a Dad. I had no reason to think that because I was young and in relatively good shape. Then I had an incident where I was walking down the hall at work and I heard a 'buzz' in my head and I lost sight for a second. I can't explain it any other way than it was like my mind went offline for a second and came back. It scared me really bad. I still get a little anxious when I think about that incident because I still have no idea what that was. About 2 weeks into my gluten free diet. I layed in bed one night and literally laughed because I felt so calm as I was so happy to finally feel like I was getting better. I still get boughts of anxiety, especially when I have caffeine in sode or iced tea so I am trying to cut out caffeine now. So, what you are feeling is common. Again, hang in there.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

I cannot explain what you guys are doing or me. You guys are the only thing that are getting me through this.

Jmrogers (p.s. Is this a reference to the famed commodity investor Jim Rogers) your story sound exactly like mine. My anxiety has turned me into an overweight hermit. I know excessive gluten intake is the source of my problems from this last year and a half. Im already experiencing spme gluten cravings but Trust me man. I will not falter on my diet. Nothing is worth this pain.

I also wanna say I just took two major dumps and that I'm feeling a little better. Hopefully I experience more relief.

Well, glad you're feeling better.

Just am FYI - most people would experience quite a few pangs and craving on a smoothie diet as you describe. Cut loose a bit and actually eat dinner and breakfast.

Nothing exotic - a bit of protein, a veggie, fruit... Salt and pepper and herbs are your friends. If you don't think eggs are a problem add an egg at breakfast. Nuts are good snacking. The most reactive ones seem to be peanuts and almonds, FYI. Check the ingredients (yes, they put crap in

nuts).

Keep the food diary. I know it sounds lame but it will pay off.

jmrogers31 Contributor

Ha, that made me laugh because I work in finance and know all about Jim Rogers. Those are actually my initials. The 31 is just my football and basketball number from high school and in December will be my age this year. I am glad we are being helpful. People on this site have been great. I just started on July 8th, so I am only 3 1/2 months in. When I do have gluten by accident (which has only been 2 times in 3 1/2 months) I get a wave of anxiety before I get the GI symptoms. I can deal with the GI issues much more than the anxiety. It was awful for a while.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Im feeling better so im hoping this continues and i can get back to where i can actually get some sleep. I have a feeling following this diet is gonna br tough. What do you think about beans prickly? Those should be gluten free.

Jmrogers. I just graduated from Florida state university with a degree in finance so we have that in common. I am a big fan of my boi Jim Rogers along with Peter schiff, Marc Faber and Ron Paul. Austrian economics for the win.

When you do slip up and eat gluten and get that anxiety, how long does it last for?

Thanks again guys, means alot to me

Im feeling better so im hoping this continues and i can get back to where i can actually get some sleep. I have a feeling following this diet is gonna br tough. What do you think about beans prickly? Those should be gluten free.

Jmrogers. I just graduated from Florida state university with a degree in finance so we have that in common. I am a big

fan of my boi Jim Rogers along with Peter schiff, Marc Faber and Ron Paul. Austrian economics for the win.

When you do slip up and eat gluten and get that anxiety, how long does it last for?

Thanks again guys, means alot to me

I like beans. You should like beans. Eat them with digestive enzymes at first. They may be tough in the beginning, don't get discouraged if they give you a problem.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Well guys,

I ended up passing out last night after a very anxious day (which is very nice), and I woke up this morning shocked. Not only has my anxiety died down greatly, but for the first time in a year plus, I woke up without my throat being singed by stomach acid. I feel remarkably better than I did yesterday. I gotta say I feel optimistic.

I have my Dr.'s appointment today at 10:15 so I hope I'm not taking the test too late.

A couple of symptoms I forgot to mention are dark circles under my eyes (even after plenty of sleep), bloodshot eyes, and regurgitation.

Thanks for everything guys. Keep that good knowledge coming.

jmrogers31 Contributor

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Acid reflux is a very common symptom and I have heard of the dark circles. My anxiety usually last about 2 days when I slip up and I get some tension headaches as well for a couple days along with all the GI issues I will spare you the details on. All those guys you mentioned are great and have great advice. I am guessing by the names you mentioned you are not a Paul Krugman fan :). I like Jim Rogers because he has very simple and easy to follow advice. I do like to be a little more diverse then he is and don't have as much of a doom and gloom attitude as those guys. My take is prepare for the worst with an emergency fund and equities but also invest money in the market as well because I won't retire for 30 years and that gives the market plenty of time to bounce back. Sorry to the people reading this to talk finance on a Celiac board, good luck at your appointment today. Maybe since your are a finance guy you should change your name to LOANskater52. Sorry, bad joke.

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Acid reflux is a very common symptom and I have heard of the dark circles. My anxiety usually last about 2 days when I slip up and I get some tension headaches as well for a couple days along with all the GI issues I will spare you the details on. All those guys you mentioned are great and have great advice. I am guessing by the names you mentioned you are not a Paul Krugman fan :). I like Jim Rogers because he has very simple and easy to follow advice. I do like to be a little more diverse then he is and don't have as much of a doom and gloom attitude as those guys. My take is prepare for the worst with an emergency fund and equities but also invest money in the market as well because I won't retire for 30 years and that gives the market plenty of time to bounce back. Sorry to the people reading this to talk finance on a Celiac board, good luck at your appointment today. Maybe since your are a finance guy you should change your name to LOANskater52. Sorry, bad joke.

Yeah I'm definitely feeling better. My anxiety has gone down and I am able to breathe normally again. I am getting those tension headaches that you mentioned along with a little lightheadedness, but overall ok. I had some Chicken Biryani from Whole Foods today and I checked the ingredients real hard.It was basically some yellow rice, chicken, and tumeric. I didn't see any wheat products mentioned but I am no expert so I hope I didn't mess up already. Open Original Shared Link

Yeah I love those guys and if I ever saw Paul Krugman in person I would punch him square in the face. Hate that guy. I love my doom and gloom. I love being a bear. I think the dollars status as the world reserve currency is done for and that gold and silver will return to their status as money. I guess we'll just all have to wait and see.

And I chuckled out loud when I saw that. It never crossed my mind

Archived