This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Missing Manicures....madly!

sweetiegrl109

sweetiegrl109 Newbie

hi...i really want to go and get a manicure and pedicure, i havent in a while because of all the different things they use there without ingrediants...they have the base coat, the top coat, the basic color, and then there is the hand cream, and soap they pour into the pedicure water and so on! i went for one with my cousin after i was diagnosed and got sick after...i think it was from one of the things they used but i cant be sure which one...i also tried asking them to see the ingrediants but they didnt understand...i also tried to bring my own things but they seemed to have more things then i brought and didnt understand or listen when i told them not to use theirs....is there a special salon or some place?...:unsure:...let me know please!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You might want to try a spa. One that offers different organic treatments and stuff that also does manicures. They might be more understanding about ingredients or you bringing your own stuff.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Pedicure...that's feet, right? Ya... well, gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin (or nails for that matter) so unless you stick your feet in your mouth or something, there shouldn't be a problem. Hands...could be a problem since it could find its way into your mouth if you bite your nails or it chips off or I don't know...

jenvan Collaborator

As celiac3270 hinted at, I wouldn't be so concerned about pedicures. I paint my toenails without worrying really. However, I do not paint my fingernails, and that would be a different story. I don't have much info on nail polish, but here is a post on Opi and their gluten-free status: Open Original Shared Link

connole1056 Rookie

Do you have DH? Was that the reaction? I could not tell from your post. I think nail polishes are harder for those with DH. Sometimes it is hard to communicate with the people at the nail salon because many of the employees, around New England anyway, are Asian and speak limited English. However, it is odd they did not understand you wanted them to use your own products. Maybe if you called ahead or went when it was slow you could talk to someone and go into detail about your problem. We just went to a salon and I really did not even think about it-now I am going to have to. So thanks for bringing up the topic! Luckily, we did not have a problem though.

sweetiegrl109 Newbie
Pedicure...that's feet, right?  Ya... well, gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin (or nails for that matter) so unless you stick your feet in your mouth or something, there shouldn't be a problem.  Hands...could be a problem since it could find its way into your mouth if you bite your nails or it chips off or I don't know...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whether or not it can be absorbed through the skin, my old favorite line or hand creams bath and body works all has wheat in it...they give me hives and rashes nows from the exposure, so the tests may say one thing...but the hand creams said somethign else....which really stinks for me....haha

• 11 months later...
MandyCandy Rookie
hi...i really want to go and get a manicure and pedicure, i havent in a while because of all the different things they use there without ingrediants...they have the base coat, the top coat, the basic color, and then there is the hand cream, and soap they pour into the pedicure water and so on! i went for one with my cousin after i was diagnosed and got sick after...i think it was from one of the things they used but i cant be sure which one...i also tried asking them to see the ingrediants but they didnt understand...i also tried to bring my own things but they seemed to have more things then i brought and didnt understand or listen when i told them not to use theirs....is there a special salon or some place?...:unsure:...let me know please!

Hey!

I'm and Esthetician (some one who does all those manicures, pedicures, waxing, facials, body treatments, and so on) Your pedicure experience unfortunately indicates that you didn't go to a proper spa to get your pedicure done. The Esthetitican Must have a list of every ingredient in each product they use on you and should show you if you have any questions about certain ingredients. Make sure the next time you go for a manicure or pedicure or any spa treatment that they have you fill out a medical questionaire (to find out medical history, allergies, possible diseases, things like that). If they don't ask you to fill one out well then leave! People don't realize the strict guidlines spa's need to follow for them to be safe (cleaning, sanitization, sterilization, knowing allergies of clients, etc.) Because if it's the kind of place where they don't ask you about your medical history then they probably don't follow proper sanitization and sterilization procedures, or any safety guidlines. And chances are then that they probably didn't ask the client before you, so who knows what kind of infectious diseases you could catch from other people because of the tools they use on you. Or you could have a severe reaction to a product they shouldn't be using on you! WIth so many product lines out there, there will be products that are safe for you to use. Just go check out Spas and an Esthetician will be more than happy to help you find the right one!

Mandy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

No one at the place I go to speaks english other than "pick color" and "you pay now". I don't get pedicures, i do those myself at home because I can't stand people touching my feet. I do get manicures though, and just shake my head and pull my hands away when they try to put the lotion on. I usually only get a clear coat, just because I work with my hands and they get destroyed, so the polish doesn't stay no matter what. I have DH and my skin is really sensitive to irritants, and so far no issues. I'm really good about not putting my hands near my mouth though, and I'm a compulsive handwasher, so anything they put on there that might be a danger is well and gone by the time theres any hand/mouth contact except for the polish. Sofar I've had no issues.

Elonwy

Ashley Enthusiast
whether or not it can be absorbed through the skin, my old favorite line or hand creams bath and body works all has wheat in it...they give me hives and rashes nows from the exposure, so the tests may say one thing...but the hand creams said somethign else....which really stinks for me....haha

Same thing happens to me. That's why it kinda annoys me when people say it can't be absorbed through the skin. It might not, but, it's itchy and very annoying! I suggest doing at home.

-Ash

jesscarmel Enthusiast

hi

when i go, i just have them use the opi nail polish (which has no gluten). i dont let them use the top coat which does have gluten(one by opi) also i check the ingredient sof the hand cream- the ones by opi that ive seen have not had gluten in them. i also wash my hands when i get home from the manicure in case some gluten touched them.

Jess

mbg98 Contributor

I am a little suprised by your getting sick from a salon. I manage a Salon and am also a full time nail tech (who does the manicures and pedicures) I have NEVER gotten a reaction at work (other than food related) I can honestly say that I haven't even read the ingredient lables on my product since they don't absorb and I won't ingest them. I am constantly washing my hands and don't normally polish my nails but I am exposed to base coats, top coats and various polishes every hour. I don't have DH but I breathe this stuff in all day and have no problems! You may want to go somewhere they DON'T do artificial nails of any sort, that may be the problem for you, those particles float in the air and you could be breathing them in. I wouldn't be suprised if there is Wheat or Gluten in the Acrylic nail stuff used as a binder but I am not sure. Good Luck!

I certainly couldn't live without my Pedicures every few weeks!

kbtoyssni Contributor

You may be able to bring your own lotion and nail polish, too. I had a hair consultation at an Aveda salon once, and I asked about this because most of their hair products contain gluten. They said I could bring my own shampoo and that a lot of their clients with allergies do. I'm sure it depends on the salon, but I'd imagine most would be accomodating of allergies. Most will also set up consultations with potential clients, so you might want to do that and ask them about ingredients in their products before you make an appointment.

Archived