26 replies to this topic

#1 Hennessey

Hennessey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

Does anyone have a good, I mean good dairy,wheat,egg, soy free cake recipe? I have tried and nothing good, always too sticky. I have mixed the flours..potato starch, Tapioca flour and rice flour. I have used the baking powder/vinegar/water for egg substitute....does anyone know of any other egg substitute that actually taste good? Or maybe a different flour recipe? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

I'm also looking for a good "Free" cake recipe. I've used "The Gluten-Free Pantry/Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix," with their egg free substitution. While the cake tastes good, I haven't been able to replecate the light and fluffy texture without using eggs.

You take one bag and add:
2-3 heaping Tbsp. applesauce
1/4 - 1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup water/milk (I used gluten-free rice milk)
2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla (I used Frontier alcohol-free flavoring)

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or grease a 9-inch ground cake pan or an 8 x 8 inch square pan. (I used the mix and made cupcakes the other day.) Spoon into pan. Bake about 28 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

In my muffin recipes I use a small amount of Ener-g Egg Replacer for levening and add applesauce or pureed carrots for the binding properties.

Please let me know if you find any tastey recipes for cake!! :)

#3 Hennessey

Hennessey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

I'm also looking for a good "Free" cake recipe. I've used "The Gluten-Free Pantry/Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix," with their egg free substitution. While the cake tastes good, I haven't been able to replecate the light and fluffy texture without using eggs.

You take one bag and add:
2-3 heaping Tbsp. applesauce
1/4 - 1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup water/milk (I used gluten-free rice milk)
2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla (I used Frontier alcohol-free flavoring)

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or grease a 9-inch ground cake pan or an 8 x 8 inch square pan. (I used the mix and made cupcakes the other day.) Spoon into pan. Bake about 28 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

In my muffin recipes I use a small amount of Ener-g Egg Replacer for levening and add applesauce or pureed carrots for the binding properties.

Please let me know if you find any tastey recipes for cake!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I will trty it! I did try a package cake mix once but it was so awful, or atleast I made it awful. I almost bought an egg substitute today, it was powdered but it contained soy. I haven't been able to find the ener-g egg replacer, is that liquid form?? I thought maybe I would have to order it from the company direct? I will try that cake recipe you gave me. My son will be 1yr on the 31st, I hsve been trying for the past month now to make him a cake, funny because he won't know the difference. This will be my last try, if no good I am going to make a rice Krispee treat cake. :) I just made a corn bread and I used banana for the egg, can't wait to see how this one turns out! ;)
Thanks for your reply!

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, I will trty it!  I did try a package cake mix once but it was so awful, or atleast I made it awful.  I almost bought an egg substitute today, it was powdered but it contained soy.  I haven't been able to find the ener-g egg replacer, is that liquid form??  I thought maybe I would have to order it from the company direct?  I will try that cake recipe you gave me.  My son will be 1yr on the 31st, I hsve been trying for the past month now to make him a cake, funny because he won't know the difference.  This will be my last try, if no good I am going to make a rice Krispee treat cake.  :)  I just made a corn bread and I used banana for the egg, can't wait to see how this one turns out! ;) 
Thanks for your reply!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried using soaked flax meal as an egg replacement?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 mstrain

mstrain

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

I haven't been able to find the ener-g egg replacer, is that liquid form??  I thought maybe I would have to order it from the company direct? 

I found Egg Replacer at Wegman's - I don't know where you live, but if you have a Wegman's by you, give them a try. :)
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Michele</span>
positive biopsy 7/18/05
positive bloodwork 7/28/05
gluten-free since 7/18/05

#6 Hennessey

Hennessey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:15 PM

Have you tried using soaked flax meal as an egg replacement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never heard of it. Is it something I purchase as is, or do I have to prepare it? Is it powdered form, liquid?? I know flax seed... I will try anything.

#7 mstrain

mstrain

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:22 PM

Oh - it is a powder sold in a box. I just read the ingredients - it doesn't say "soy-free" on it, but I also don't see any soy listed in the ingredients. I don't have to follow a soy -free diet; are there any "hidden" sources of soy? Ingredient list: potato starch, tapioca flour, Leavening (calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, citric acid), cellulose gum, carbohydrate gum.
positive biopsy 7/18/05

#8 Hennessey

Hennessey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

Oh - it is a powder sold in a box.  I just read the ingredients - it doesn't say "soy-free" on it, but I also don't see any soy listed in the ingredients.  I don't have to follow a soy -free diet; are there any "hidden" sources of  soy?  Ingredient list:  potato starch, tapioca flour, Leavening (calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, citric acid), cellulose gum, carbohydrate gum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Live in MA, don't have Wegmans. I will keep looking, there's got to be something that is soy free as well. I just tried a banana for an egg, it was ok but gives it a little bit of a banana flavor and it was for corn bread. I think I will try applesauce again and see how that works. I know you can use Fruit Puree as well...... Thanks for your help.

#9 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

The Ener-g Egg Replacer is in a powder form that you mix with water. I can get the mix at my local health food store. The replacer does help the batter to rise some. I've found that if I use too much it makes the texture gummy. Adding the fruit and oil helps to add moisture.

You can go to The Gluten Free Pantry website and download their egg free recipe booklet. I've tried some of the mixes without making modifications and they were yuck!! :P

I used this recipe for my mom's birthday and added a tsp. of ground cinnamon with the applesauce. I topped the cake with baked apples and cinnamon.

I used coconut butter, powdered sugar, coco powder and rice milk to make a chcolate frosting for birthday the cupcakes I made. :) Lots and lots of sugar but it's was her best friends birthday party! My dd is 3 years old and she gobbled the cupcake up. I also took Rice Dream vanilla ice cream for her to have.

I used to use flax a lot but I am suspecting my dd is intolerant to it. I may try to introduce it back later. I have a flax muffin recipes that is low carb and rocks!!

P.S. Hope you have a wonderful party!! :)

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:44 PM

Never heard of it.  Is it something I purchase as is, or do I have to prepare it? Is it powdered form, liquid??  I know flax seed...  I will try anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Flax meal is just ground up flax seeds - that's it. You soak it in water (I don't remember the ratio, but I'm sure you can google it to find information) and it gets a kind of gooey consistency that appearently works decently well to replace eggs in many recipes. You can use it in recipes in larger quantities too, if you want to add fat (particularly omega-3's) and fiber. You can either buy it as flax meal already, or grind up flax seeds at home until they're ground nice and fine.
Bellevue, WA

#11 mstrain

mstrain

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:18 PM

Live in MA, don't have Wegmans.  I will keep looking, there's got to be something that is soy free as well. 

Since you live in MA I bet you could get Egg Replacer from Whole Foods Market. I'm pretty positive I saw it at the WFM by me. Good luck! :)
positive biopsy 7/18/05

#12 Hennessey

Hennessey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

Flax meal is just ground up flax seeds - that's it.  You soak it in water (I don't remember the ratio, but I'm sure you can google it to find information) and it gets a kind of gooey consistency that appearently works decently well to replace eggs in many recipes.  You can use it in recipes in larger quantities too, if you want to add fat (particularly omega-3's) and fiber.  You can either buy it as flax meal already, or grind up flax seeds at home until they're ground nice and fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, thanks, I will try that as well. There's got to be something that works. I just made a terrible corn bread and then terrible cupcakes. I even tried to make that chebe bread, the pizza one, but you need eggs, so I used vegetable puree for that one.......yuck!! It sounds like everyone loves that bread so I know it has to be because of the eggs...... I am going to try to make the chebe cinnamon one next, maybe I will try applesause this time to replace the egg...

#13 Hennessey

Hennessey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

The Ener-g Egg Replacer is in a powder form that you mix with water. I can get the mix at my local health food store. The replacer does help the batter to rise some. I've found that if I use too much it makes the texture gummy. Adding the fruit and oil helps to add moisture.

You can go to The Gluten Free Pantry website and download their egg free recipe booklet. I've tried some of the mixes without making modifications and they were yuck!!  :P 

I used this recipe for my mom's birthday and added a tsp. of ground cinnamon with the applesauce. I topped the cake with baked apples and cinnamon. 

I used coconut butter, powdered sugar, coco powder and rice milk to make a chcolate frosting for birthday the cupcakes I made.  :) Lots and lots of sugar but it's was her best friends birthday party! My dd is 3 years old and she gobbled the cupcake up. I also took Rice Dream vanilla ice cream for her to have.

I used to use flax a lot but I am suspecting my dd is intolerant to it. I may try to introduce it back later. I have a flax muffin recipes that is low carb and rocks!!

P.S. Hope you have a wonderful party!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The more and more I cook, the more the rice krispee treat cake is looking better every minute! :D

#14 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

ok, thanks, I will try that as well.  There's got to be something that works.  I just made a terrible corn bread and then terrible cupcakes.  I even tried to make that chebe bread, the pizza one, but you need eggs, so I used vegetable puree for that one.......yuck!!  It sounds like everyone loves that bread so I know it has to be because of the eggs...... I am going to try to make the chebe cinnamon one next, maybe I will try applesause this time to replace the egg...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might want to try muffin recipes that naturally don't have any eggs. I've come across a few and they've turned out fine.
Bellevue, WA

#15 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

The more and more I cook, the more the rice krispee treat cake is looking better every minute!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I've made rice crispie treats for all birthdays since my ds was 2. He likes them :) Actually, everyone likes them! And you can stick candles in too.

Merika
PS. make sure to get gluten-free rice puffs! We like the gluten-free ones from Erewhon - they're the most like rice crispies but without the sugar. Yum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: