This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Egg,wheat,dairy,soy Free Cake Recipe?

Hennessey

Hennessey Rookie

Does anyone have a good, I mean good dairy,wheat,egg, soy free cake recipe? I have tried and nothing good, always too sticky. I have mixed the flours..potato starch, Tapioca flour and rice flour. I have used the baking powder/vinegar/water for egg substitute....does anyone know of any other egg substitute that actually taste good? Or maybe a different flour recipe? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I'm also looking for a good "Free" cake recipe. I've used "The Gluten-Free Pantry/Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix," with their egg free substitution. While the cake tastes good, I haven't been able to replecate the light and fluffy texture without using eggs.

You take one bag and add:

2-3 heaping Tbsp. applesauce

1/4 - 1/3 cup oil

1/2 cup water/milk (I used gluten-free rice milk)

2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla (I used Frontier alcohol-free flavoring)

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or grease a 9-inch ground cake pan or an 8 x 8 inch square pan. (I used the mix and made cupcakes the other day.) Spoon into pan. Bake about 28 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

In my muffin recipes I use a small amount of Ener-g Egg Replacer for levening and add applesauce or pureed carrots for the binding properties.

Please let me know if you find any tastey recipes for cake!! :)

Hennessey Rookie
I'm also looking for a good "Free" cake recipe. I've used "The Gluten-Free Pantry/Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix," with their egg free substitution. While the cake tastes good, I haven't been able to replecate the light and fluffy texture without using eggs.

You take one bag and add:

2-3 heaping Tbsp. applesauce

1/4 - 1/3 cup oil

1/2 cup water/milk (I used gluten-free rice milk)

2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla (I used Frontier alcohol-free flavoring)

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or grease a 9-inch ground cake pan or an 8 x 8 inch square pan. (I used the mix and made cupcakes the other day.) Spoon into pan. Bake about 28 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

In my muffin recipes I use a small amount of Ener-g Egg Replacer for levening and add applesauce or pureed carrots for the binding properties.

Please let me know if you find any tastey recipes for cake!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I will trty it! I did try a package cake mix once but it was so awful, or atleast I made it awful. I almost bought an egg substitute today, it was powdered but it contained soy. I haven't been able to find the ener-g egg replacer, is that liquid form?? I thought maybe I would have to order it from the company direct? I will try that cake recipe you gave me. My son will be 1yr on the 31st, I hsve been trying for the past month now to make him a cake, funny because he won't know the difference. This will be my last try, if no good I am going to make a rice Krispee treat cake. :) I just made a corn bread and I used banana for the egg, can't wait to see how this one turns out! ;)

Thanks for your reply!

tarnalberry Community Regular
Thanks, I will trty it!  I did try a package cake mix once but it was so awful, or atleast I made it awful.  I almost bought an egg substitute today, it was powdered but it contained soy.  I haven't been able to find the ener-g egg replacer, is that liquid form??  I thought maybe I would have to order it from the company direct?  I will try that cake recipe you gave me.  My son will be 1yr on the 31st, I hsve been trying for the past month now to make him a cake, funny because he won't know the difference.  This will be my last try, if no good I am going to make a rice Krispee treat cake.  :)  I just made a corn bread and I used banana for the egg, can't wait to see how this one turns out! ;) 

Thanks for your reply!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried using soaked flax meal as an egg replacement?

mstrain Rookie
  I haven't been able to find the ener-g egg replacer, is that liquid form??  I thought maybe I would have to order it from the company direct? 

I found Egg Replacer at Wegman's - I don't know where you live, but if you have a Wegman's by you, give them a try. :)

Hennessey Rookie
Have you tried using soaked flax meal as an egg replacement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never heard of it. Is it something I purchase as is, or do I have to prepare it? Is it powdered form, liquid?? I know flax seed... I will try anything.

mstrain Rookie

Oh - it is a powder sold in a box. I just read the ingredients - it doesn't say "soy-free" on it, but I also don't see any soy listed in the ingredients. I don't have to follow a soy -free diet; are there any "hidden" sources of soy? Ingredient list: potato starch, tapioca flour, Leavening (calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, citric acid), cellulose gum, carbohydrate gum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hennessey Rookie
Oh - it is a powder sold in a box.  I just read the ingredients - it doesn't say "soy-free" on it, but I also don't see any soy listed in the ingredients.  I don't have to follow a soy -free diet; are there any "hidden" sources of  soy?  Ingredient list:  potato starch, tapioca flour, Leavening (calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, citric acid), cellulose gum, carbohydrate gum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Live in MA, don't have Wegmans. I will keep looking, there's got to be something that is soy free as well. I just tried a banana for an egg, it was ok but gives it a little bit of a banana flavor and it was for corn bread. I think I will try applesauce again and see how that works. I know you can use Fruit Puree as well...... Thanks for your help.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

The Ener-g Egg Replacer is in a powder form that you mix with water. I can get the mix at my local health food store. The replacer does help the batter to rise some. I've found that if I use too much it makes the texture gummy. Adding the fruit and oil helps to add moisture.

You can go to The Gluten Free Pantry website and download their egg free recipe booklet. I've tried some of the mixes without making modifications and they were yuck!! :P

I used this recipe for my mom's birthday and added a tsp. of ground cinnamon with the applesauce. I topped the cake with baked apples and cinnamon.

I used coconut butter, powdered sugar, coco powder and rice milk to make a chcolate frosting for birthday the cupcakes I made. :) Lots and lots of sugar but it's was her best friends birthday party! My dd is 3 years old and she gobbled the cupcake up. I also took Rice Dream vanilla ice cream for her to have.

I used to use flax a lot but I am suspecting my dd is intolerant to it. I may try to introduce it back later. I have a flax muffin recipes that is low carb and rocks!!

P.S. Hope you have a wonderful party!! :)

Never heard of it.  Is it something I purchase as is, or do I have to prepare it? Is it powdered form, liquid??  I know flax seed...  I will try anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Flax meal is just ground up flax seeds - that's it. You soak it in water (I don't remember the ratio, but I'm sure you can google it to find information) and it gets a kind of gooey consistency that appearently works decently well to replace eggs in many recipes. You can use it in recipes in larger quantities too, if you want to add fat (particularly omega-3's) and fiber. You can either buy it as flax meal already, or grind up flax seeds at home until they're ground nice and fine.

mstrain Rookie
Live in MA, don't have Wegmans.  I will keep looking, there's got to be something that is soy free as well. 

Since you live in MA I bet you could get Egg Replacer from Whole Foods Market. I'm pretty positive I saw it at the WFM by me. Good luck! :)

Hennessey Rookie
Flax meal is just ground up flax seeds - that's it.  You soak it in water (I don't remember the ratio, but I'm sure you can google it to find information) and it gets a kind of gooey consistency that appearently works decently well to replace eggs in many recipes.  You can use it in recipes in larger quantities too, if you want to add fat (particularly omega-3's) and fiber.  You can either buy it as flax meal already, or grind up flax seeds at home until they're ground nice and fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, thanks, I will try that as well. There's got to be something that works. I just made a terrible corn bread and then terrible cupcakes. I even tried to make that chebe bread, the pizza one, but you need eggs, so I used vegetable puree for that one.......yuck!! It sounds like everyone loves that bread so I know it has to be because of the eggs...... I am going to try to make the chebe cinnamon one next, maybe I will try applesause this time to replace the egg...

Hennessey Rookie
The Ener-g Egg Replacer is in a powder form that you mix with water. I can get the mix at my local health food store. The replacer does help the batter to rise some. I've found that if I use too much it makes the texture gummy. Adding the fruit and oil helps to add moisture.

You can go to The Gluten Free Pantry website and download their egg free recipe booklet. I've tried some of the mixes without making modifications and they were yuck!!  :P 

I used this recipe for my mom's birthday and added a tsp. of ground cinnamon with the applesauce. I topped the cake with baked apples and cinnamon. 

I used coconut butter, powdered sugar, coco powder and rice milk to make a chcolate frosting for birthday the cupcakes I made.  :) Lots and lots of sugar but it's was her best friends birthday party! My dd is 3 years old and she gobbled the cupcake up. I also took Rice Dream vanilla ice cream for her to have.

I used to use flax a lot but I am suspecting my dd is intolerant to it. I may try to introduce it back later. I have a flax muffin recipes that is low carb and rocks!!

P.S. Hope you have a wonderful party!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The more and more I cook, the more the rice krispee treat cake is looking better every minute! :D

ok, thanks, I will try that as well.  There's got to be something that works.  I just made a terrible corn bread and then terrible cupcakes.  I even tried to make that chebe bread, the pizza one, but you need eggs, so I used vegetable puree for that one.......yuck!!  It sounds like everyone loves that bread so I know it has to be because of the eggs...... I am going to try to make the chebe cinnamon one next, maybe I will try applesause this time to replace the egg...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might want to try muffin recipes that naturally don't have any eggs. I've come across a few and they've turned out fine.

Merika Contributor
The more and more I cook, the more the rice krispee treat cake is looking better every minute!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I've made rice crispie treats for all birthdays since my ds was 2. He likes them :) Actually, everyone likes them! And you can stick candles in too.

Merika

PS. make sure to get gluten-free rice puffs! We like the gluten-free ones from Erewhon - they're the most like rice crispies but without the sugar. Yum.

jenvan Collaborator

Another option for you to try is Namaste's mixes. They are good and free of the foods you mentioned, except eggs. However, you could use an egg replacer for that. You can check them out here: Open Original Shared Link

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

After reading this post last night, I decided to make rice crispy treats. I've only made them a couple of times but my daughter loved them. I decided to make homemade marshmallows for the treats and it was soooo much fun!!!! :D

Hennessey Rookie
Another option for you to try is Namaste's mixes.  They are good and free of the foods you mentioned, except eggs.  However, you could use an egg replacer for that.  You can check them out here:  Open Original Shared Link

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I will check it out.

Hennessey Rookie
After reading this post last night, I decided to make rice crispy treats. I've only made them a couple of times but my daughter loved them. I decided to make homemade marshmallows for the treats and it was soooo much fun!!!! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know I am just going to make the rice krispee cake. I will just make it really big, use lasagna size pans and layer it and I can make frosting and maybe color it light blue.....my son won't know the difference, but atleast it will look good. All the other kids will love it. I'm tired of trying to figure this cake thing out...might as well stick to something I know and everyone loves and it's easy too. :D

misskris Apprentice

YAY! I actually have a good post for this!

This lady I used to work with made me a chocolate cake my last day on the job - she had to accomodate me (gluten-free) as well as another co-worker who is a vegan.

The cake was totally (surprisingly) yummy! Here's the recipe:

*Remember, little t is teaspoon and big T is Tablespoon*

CAKE:

1 1/2 cups of gluten-free flour

1 cup sugar

3 T cocoa

1 cup warm water

1 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1 t salt

5 T oil

1 t vanilla

1 t apple cider vinegar

In ungreased 8x8 pan, combine all dry ingredients. Make 3 holes in mixture. Pour in oil in one, vanilla in one, & vinegar in one. Add warm water. Mix until well blended. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

FROSTING (The Naughty Part):

1 lb confectioners sugar, sifted

1/2 cup cocoa

1/4 t salt

1/3 cup boiling water

1/3 cup margarine

1 t vanilla

Combine sugar, cocoa and salt. Add water and margarine, blend. Add vanilla, mix well.

She had to adjust the frosting recipe b/c she liked it to be less runny. So I think that's the reason why so much sugar.

I was totally bouncing off the walls after only a half of a piece of this cake - I'm not used to eating that much sugar! :)

I'm sure you could adjust this recipe for anything - the main thing is the vinegar and baking soda that act as a rising agent. I make bread like this too b/c I don't do yeast either.

Hope you enjoy!!!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

How about popsicles or Italian ices in cups? I know cake is traditional, but different is fun. Or multi-colored melon balls with blueberries, strawberries, grapes, etc...all mixed together and put in little clear tumbler glasses so the colors show? You could put those little parasol umbrellas in each cup? That would be very attractive looking and a nice presentation.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks MissKris!!! I can't wait to try this recipe. I've been searching for gluten-free, CF, Egg Free, and Soy Free recipes and I haven't found very many. I would love to have your bread recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing. :unsure:

:):)

Hennessey Rookie
YAY! I actually have a good post for this!

This lady I used to work with made me a chocolate cake my last day on the job - she had to accomodate me (gluten-free) as well as another co-worker who is a vegan.

The cake was totally (surprisingly) yummy! Here's the recipe:

*Remember, little t is teaspoon and big T is Tablespoon*

CAKE:

1 1/2 cups of gluten-free flour

1 cup sugar

3 T cocoa

1 cup warm water

1 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1 t salt

5 T oil

1 t vanilla

1 t apple cider vinegar

In ungreased 8x8 pan, combine all dry ingredients. Make 3 holes in mixture. Pour in oil in one, vanilla in one, & vinegar in one. Add warm water. Mix until well blended. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

FROSTING (The Naughty Part):

1 lb confectioners sugar, sifted

1/2 cup cocoa

1/4 t salt

1/3 cup boiling water

1/3 cup margarine

1 t vanilla

Combine sugar, cocoa and salt. Add water and margarine, blend. Add vanilla, mix well.

She had to adjust the frosting recipe b/c she liked it to be less runny. So I think that's the reason why so much sugar.

I was totally bouncing off the walls after only a half of a piece of this cake - I'm not used to eating that much sugar! :)

I'm sure you could adjust this recipe for anything - the main thing is the vinegar and baking soda that act as a rising agent. I make bread like this too b/c I don't do yeast either.

Hope you enjoy!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I will try it....thank you so much. I will test it out this weekend. Now you say gluten-free Flour.....what kind? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I made a mixture of potato starch flour, rice flour and tapioca flour...do you have another suggestion for flour? Is there a good flour out there that you don't have to mix up yourself?? Still new at this so not quite sure. Oh and I'd love your bread recipe as well if you wouldn't mind posting it or emailing to me. csperounis@comcast.net. Thank you so much.

Hennessey Rookie
How about popsicles or Italian ices in cups?  I know cake is traditional, but different is fun.  Or multi-colored melon balls with blueberries, strawberries, grapes, etc...all mixed together and put in little clear tumbler glasses so the colors show?  You could put those little parasol umbrellas in each cup?  That would be very attractive looking and a nice presentation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, you gave me some more good ideas!

misskris Apprentice

Sorry guys! I completely forgot to check back on this post! I've been so busy with a new job. Anyway, here ya go...

Oh, as for flour - I didn't want to put a specific kind, b/c I know everyone has their own thing they like to use...I usually use a mix of tapioca, potato & brown rice flours.

Here's the bread recipe as best I can remember it. I usually do this without thinking since I grew up making bread like this. So please forgive me if I get some of the measurements wrong. The next time I make it, I will be sure to write the recipe down.

About 2 cups of gluten-free flour

1 cup warm water

1 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1 t salt

1 level T Xanthan Gum

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup applesauce or about 3 T oil

1 t apple cider vinegar

(You can add in all kinds of stuff to give this bread some life - fresh herbs are great)

In bread pan, combine all dry ingredients. Make 2 holes in mixture. Pour in oil in one & vinegar the other. Add warm water. Mix until well blended. (Check consistency - you may need to add more flour or water - I'm so sorry I'm not an exact measurer!) Let sit for 10 mins and then bake on 350 for about 30-40 mins until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

---------------------------------

Here's another goodie that I've adapted. I personally use real eggs, but I've heard that the egg substitute works well in place of it. I just don't know what that's made out of, probably soy though? :( Sorry. But maybe you can find something else. The eggs just act as a glue to hold everything together. Maybe Xanthan Gum? Good luck experimenting. You can use any fruit. I like to add cranberries to the apples. The flavors are wonderful together. Yummy for breakfast!

Apple Bread Recipe (no oil so it's better for you!):

2 cups gluten-free flour

1/4 t salt

1/4 t baking soda

2 t baking powder

1 t cinnamon

1/2 t ginger

1/4 t cloves

Egg substitute = to 2 eggs

1 cup brown sugar or honey

1/2 cup applesauce

1/3 cup rice milk

1 1/2 cups of apples, peeled and sliced kinda thin or you can chop

Preheat oven at 350. Coat pan with cooking spray and a sprinkle of flour. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. In another mixing bowl, combine eggs or substitute, brown sugar, applesauce, milk, and apples. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about an hour - insert toothpick to check.

Archived