23 replies to this topic

#1 kathleenp

kathleenp

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

Can heart palpitations be a sign of gluten intolerance? I have had continuos palpitations since Tuesday night and am wondering if gluten intolerance is the cause. i have been to the doctor and had and EKG, wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours and had an echocardiogram, but I don't go back to the doctor until Monday to find out the results. I do not like this feeling at all! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Yes, Kathleen, there are a few of us posting on the board who have had heart palpitations / atrial fibrillation / tachcardia from gluten. Let us know what your results show and what your doctor thinks of all this. Most doctors are unaware of the association between food intolerances and heart rhythm disturbances. Heck, it's a bonus if they even know about celiac ;)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Yes. My palpitations which I had for years went away once I was on a gluten-free diet and started supplementing with the nutrients my body needed. I was very surprised.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

Please have your doctor test for low Vitamin B12--this can cause heart palpitations. And, yes, low Vitamin B12 can be caused by celiac.

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

I've had odd palpitations for about 3 years. Going gluten-free helped 75% go away. Adding iron and vit d, which I was deficient in has apparently resolved the rest.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 carecare

carecare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

This is so interesting. My husband used to tell me about the heart palpitations he used to get. Now that he is gluten free...he has not complained about them. However, my 17 yr old is getting them more frequently and when at the age of about 11/12 she wore a monitor for 24 hour as well. It was also the time she dealt with joint pain and stiffness daily. They gave a name for what she was feeling but I can't recall the name...but was told it was not serious. Now that she's back in school...and eating more gluten than she would at home...I'm guessing it's the result of the gluten. Interesting. I am having my other 3 kids get endoscopies in December...did not schedule one for her though. Maybe I should have.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

Yes! I wore a holter monitor several times in the last 20 years for heart
palps and erratic beats and A-Fib episodes....always told my heart was "fine"....yet, it felt like it was leaping out of my chest and skipping beats. I would get dizzy and nauseous.
Sometimes, it woke me up!

Heart palpitations in hypoglycemia can occur as well. My blood sugars were all over the place on gluten. Not anymore. Thyroid stimulating hormone and glucose levels ---stabilized and normal.

Once DXed and gluten free for a few months, and the Folate and B-12, D deficiencies all corrected (which can also bring on the palps), all of that stopped. Completely. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 kathleenp

kathleenp

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Wow. I was reading on the internet where people have lived with constant heart palpitations for months and years. I cannot stand it for the few days I have had it. I took a magnesium tablet last night and it seemed to help it settle down some. I wish I hadn't stopped my gluten free diet a few months ago. :angry:

#9 carecare

carecare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

So also interesting...that folate and b12 deficiencies can cause this. The year my daughter wore a monitor because we wanted to figure out what was going on...I remember her seeing a Ruematologist for her joint pain and swelling. At one point the Reumi called and told her to take folate and b12 as her blood work showed she was deficient...plus her blood count was low. Not once over those 3 yrs did they ever consider testing for celiac. Now she's getting foot cramps and the heart palps again. Hmmm..and she's the only one I don't have an appointment for getting an endoscopy in December...I'm sure she'll be next.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

So also interesting...that folate and b12 deficiencies can cause this. The year my daughter wore a monitor because we wanted to figure out what was going on...I remember her seeing a Ruematologist for her joint pain and swelling. At one point the Reumi called and told her to take folate and b12 as her blood work showed she was deficient...plus her blood count was low. Not once over those 3 yrs did they ever consider testing for celiac. Now she's getting foot cramps and the heart palps again. Hmmm..and she's the only one I don't have an appointment for getting an endoscopy in December...I'm sure she'll be next.

I would have her tested as well. IMHO. Why wait? You probably know this, but just doing an endo is not going to show celiac....they need to biopsy and you all need to be eating gluten at the time so it is a valid test.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

Well, I'm not so sure of the cause and effect part of folate and B12 in heart papitations. While for me they certainly existed along with the afib and gluten intolerance, raising the B12 and folate and eliminating the gluten did nothing for the afib and palpitations. I think for some it is just all part of the syndrome. Not saying it couldn't be the cause, mind you, just sayin' ;)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#12 kathleenp

kathleenp

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

I started back being gluten free today. I also went to the doctor to get test results and my heart is fine structurally. Seems it got off base electrically somehow and my doctor gave me some meds to slow it down. I will only be taking them for 2 weeks, so hopefully the diet will help things improve as well.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Well, I'm not so sure of the cause and effect part of folate and B12 in heart papitations. While for me they certainly existed along with the afib and gluten intolerance, raising the B12 and folate and eliminating the gluten did nothing for the afib and palpitations. I think for some it is just all part of the syndrome. Not saying it couldn't be the cause, mind you, just sayin' ;)

I agree completely!....in my case, the palps seemed to be more related to the glucose instability. (It may be coincidental that it stopped at the same time the vitamin deficiencies cleared up.) I any case, I am glad they have stopped. That went on for many years...ugh! My hubby has AFib and it has nothing to do with gluten issues. In fact, his cardiologist is completely stumped as to why he has it at all :blink: ...his heart is fine. :)

The human body--a complex machine indeed.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

My hubby has AFib and it has nothing to do with gluten issues. In fact, his cardiologist is completely stumped as to why he has it at all :blink: ...his heart is fine. :)

The human body--a complex machine indeed.

Same here, heart absolutely normal, except for the timing gear :lol: Maybe I need a mechanic!
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Same here, heart absolutely normal, except for the timing gear :lol: Maybe I need a mechanic!

:lol: Hubby giggled at that one, Shroomie...

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: