This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Have These Symptoms

dressagegal1986

dressagegal1986 Rookie

Hello My name is amanda. I Have been sick for months with numerous hospital stays. I have had my gallbladder removed as well. For the first for months all I could eat was toast white and cheerios or i would feel really sick. The tissue from my first endoscope was lost. My ultra sounds and cts were normal my blood test for chrons negitive. My second endoscope showed posstive for celiacs. I am 6 weeks gluten free and still can not eat. I live on gluten free rice chex cereal. I was eating plain potatos but when I eat I get a really bad burning in my stomach as well as heart burn indigestion and pains in my up gut area not sure if its my intestines or my colon. everything is so close together. Sometimes I vomit from the sick feeling. My stools are sometimes firm and sometimes loose. I have lost 25 pounds and cant eat still. It burns so bad. I did the smart pill test and it was normal and im doing a pill camera test on tuesday. I would really like to be able to eat again. I take prevacid once a day but not sure it is helping at all..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Have you tried eating things like rice, vegetable soups,applesauce, well-cooked vegetables, maybe eve some mashed sweet potato, stewed fruits like pears? All these things tend to sit well on the stomach and are easily digested by most, although of course everyone is different :) I am so sorry you are having such a miserable time of it. In general, the less processed the food is, the more easily it is digested and tolerated (except for raw, and salads at this stage which would be too much of a struggle for a damaged gut.) You are right to try to stabilize on a limited diet but I really feel whole foods would be better and you need better nutrient content. You might try taking some Pepto Bismol to help with the gut pain as it give a nice protective lining also. Hopefully others will have some more ideas for you.

And by the way, a warm welcome to the board. :)

dressagegal1986 Rookie

Have you tried eating things like rice, vegetable soups,applesauce, well-cooked vegetables, maybe eve some mashed sweet potato, stewed fruits like pears? All these things tend to sit well on the stomach and are easily digested by most, although of course everyone is different :) I am so sorry you are having such a miserable time of it. In general, the less processed the food is, the more easily it is digested and tolerated (except for raw, and salads at this stage which would be too much of a struggle for a damaged gut.) You are right to try to stabilize on a limited diet but I really feel whole foods would be better and you need better nutrient content. You might try taking some Pepto Bismol to help with the gut pain as it give a nice protective lining also. Hopefully others will have some more ideas for you.

And by the way, a warm welcome to the board. :)

when i first wake up in the morning I can have a banana but like tonight I ate one for dinner and I am really suffering. I was eating baked potoatos plain the really bad heart burn im thinking they are hard to digest. I am eager to try some salmon maybe but really nervous. I tried brown rice but it makes me sick. I think i will try to make my own chicken broth or something. Apple sauce burns really bad I think the acid maybe. I was told i have villious atrophy that my villi were very flat. Thank you so much for responding I am so discouraged and absalutely starving...

mushroom Proficient

Yes, salmon would be good to try, also any fin fish. You can make your own soups and puree them in the blender - gets the breakdown process started. White rice would be easier to digest than brown :) although not as much nutrition. You could maybe puree the rice also in the soup. Think baby food here :D

AVR1962 Collaborator

The burning you are feeling when you put something into your stomach is acid. You will need to protect your stomach. If doc did not prescribe something for the burning you can try antacids. One prevacid a day is probabaly not enough. I was taking 2 Nexium a day and doing doses of Pepto in between which I did for 3 months because my stomach was so bad before I backed off the amounts, 5 months total on the Nexium.

As the stomach heals you will be able to eat more but healing the stomach is a very important part at this stage. I ate mostly potatoes, soups, eggs during this time. Also, look up a low acidic diet and stay away from the foods on the high acidic list......dairy, coffee, citric fruits, tomatoes, spice. Don't expect miracles overnight as it does take awhile for the stomach to heal. Be faithful to your diet and to taking the antacid and you will get better.

dressagegal1986 Rookie

The burning you are feeling when you put something into your stomach is acid. You will need to protect your stomach. If doc did not prescribe something for the burning you can try antacids. One prevacid a day is probabaly not enough. I was taking 2 Nexium a day and doing doses of Pepto in between which I did for 3 months because my stomach was so bad before I backed off the amounts, 5 months total on the Nexium.

As the stomach heals you will be able to eat more but healing the stomach is a very important part at this stage. I ate mostly potatoes, soups, eggs during this time. Also, look up a low acidic diet and stay away from the foods on the high acidic list......dairy, coffee, citric fruits, tomatoes, spice. Don't expect miracles overnight as it does take awhile for the stomach to heal. Be faithful to your diet and to taking the antacid and you will get better.

wonderfull i did not know i could have pepto I will have to try it..and I have an apt wed I will ask about a better or more frequent ppi. I love the potatoes bu get really bad heart burn from them that I cant figure out..

BabsV Enthusiast

I also have GERD (reflux) symptoms although my scope showed no damage to stomach and esophagus. The doctor has me on Prilosec tablets (20mg omeprazole) -- one in the morning and one in the evening. It definitely seems to help and the doctor hopes that as I heal I'll stop needing the Prilosec.

In addition to following the gluten-free diet I'm also following a GERD diet. If you google GERD diet you'll find lots of examples. Also: don't smoke, don't lay down for at least 2 hours after eating, eat smaller meals more often throughout the day, raise the head of your bed if it really bothers you at night, and maintain a healthy weight.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dressagegal1986 Rookie

I also have GERD (reflux) symptoms although my scope showed no damage to stomach and esophagus. The doctor has me on Prilosec tablets (20mg omeprazole) -- one in the morning and one in the evening. It definitely seems to help and the doctor hopes that as I heal I'll stop needing the Prilosec.

In addition to following the gluten-free diet I'm also following a GERD diet. If you google GERD diet you'll find lots of examples. Also: don't smoke, don't lay down for at least 2 hours after eating, eat smaller meals more often throughout the day, raise the head of your bed if it really bothers you at night, and maintain a healthy weight.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

thank you I tried some white rice boiled in chicken broth tonight so i hope it goes well. I have ulcers in my esophagus so i will ask for more meds on weds thank you again for your time

Archived